Apartment 7A - Rosemary's Baby prequel

Tools    

“Rosemary’s Baby” prequel “Apartment 7A,” starring Julia Garner and directed by Natalie Erika James, will premiere exclusively on Paramount+ ahead of the Halloween season.

Roman Polanski’s 1968 horror classic was produced by Paramount, starring Mia Farrow and John Cassavetes as a young couple who are trying to start a family but find themselves tormented by strange neighbors.

According to an official logline, “Apartment 7A” is “Set in 1965 New York City, and tells the story prior to the legendary horror classic ‘Rosemary’s Baby’, exploring what happened in the apartment before Rosemary moved in. When a struggling, young dancer suffers a devastating injury, she finds herself drawn in by dark forces when a peculiar, well-connected, older couple promises her a shot at fame.”

Commissioned for Paramount+, the film also stars Dianne Wiest (“Mayor of Kingstown”), Jim Sturgess (“Across the Universe”) and Kevin McNally (the “Pirates of the Caribbean” film series). Supporting cast members include Marli Siu (“Everything I Know About Love”), Andrew Buchan (“All the Money in the World”), Rosy McEwen (“Blue Jean”) and Kobna Holdbrook-Smith (“Wonka”).

“’Apartment 7A’ is the perfect way to kick off the Halloween season,” said Jeff Grossman, executive vice president of programming at Paramount+ in a statement announcing the streaming release. “Director Natalie Erika James and the prodigious creative team have crafted a chilling and clever new entry into the genre.”

“Apartment 7A” is a Platinum Dunes and Sunday Night production from producers John Krasinski, Allyson Seeger, Michael Bay, Andrew Form and Brad Fuller. James co-wrote the script with Christian White and Skylar James, and executive producers include Vicki Dee Rock and Alexa Ginsburg.

Jeez, just leave old movies alone.

Will watch anything with Julia Garner & I’ve seen RB a million times.

The Guy Who Sees Movies
We'll see. Maybe. I was never a fan of the original, so a re-tread sounds a bit like renting an apartment where the landlord throws up a coat of paint and just alludes to a prospective tenant that they should ignore all of those rumors about the last people that were there. That happened to me once way back, signed a lease then found out from a neighbor that the previous tenant had died in there.

A fresh coat of white paint and a profuse spray of room deodorant can cover up a lot of sins.

We'll see. Maybe. I was never a fan of the original, so a re-tread sounds a bit like renting an apartment where the landlord throws up a coat of paint and just alludes to a prospective tenant that they should ignore all of those rumors about the last people that were there. That happened to me once way back, signed a lease then found out from a neighbor that the previous tenant had died in there.

A fresh coat of white paint and a profuse spray of room deodorant can cover up a lot of sins.
Same here. I enjoyed the film, but mostly because of the actors and the novel subject for 1968.

It's an interesting concept, a prequel, so we'll have to see what they do with it. I'm sure they'll make it a lot scarier than the original. I've always been a Diane Wiest fan.

Frankly I would rather see a horror film about an aging actress who manipulated and ruined the lives of countless husbands, boyfriends, adopted children, and female friends.

Considering that the people have had a long time to think about a Rosemary's Baby continuation, and the film hasn't been subjected to sequelitis, I'm gonna hold out for this one. I may be wrong, but I'll give it the benefit this time.

This looks so....uninteresting. Ill probably see it but nothing about it screams I need to see this.

If you watch this, the studio considers it a win.

Not if I dont watch it on Paramount+
Even if you watch a pirated copy, it's still being counted as watched by P+

Against my own better judgment, I watched this today. It was not good. My review: Julia Garner does a good job, but the film feels like a bad remake or rip off of Rosemary's Baby, instead of a prequel. It's not satisfying or enjoyable and drags at times. There are a couple effective moments, but we have seen them before and done better. The screenplay is predictable, formulaic and mediocre. This feels like a step down from the director's previous film, Relic.

Frankly I would rather see a horror film about an aging actress who manipulated and ruined the lives of countless husbands, boyfriends, adopted children, and female friends.
I feel like I should know who you’re talking about.

Apartment 7A

I have to confess, this movie impressed me in some important ways - but none of them are enough to make it a film worth recommending.

Starting off with the positives: the movie has a really good cast, and pretty good production values for something that went straight to streaming. The period detail, production design and cinematography were all much better than I anticipated.

But, again, this went straight to streaming. And Paramount has previously given a theatrical release to stuff that was originally intended for streaming only - so the studio knew this one really wasn't going to be a very popular movie, or they would have given it at least a small theatrical release.

What's wrong with the movie, then? Well, I would say that it's incredibly boring, and predictable, and not scary at all... which are pretty major weak spots for something that's supposed to be a horror movie. And particularly awful given that this is a prequel to one of the most famous horror movies ever made.

It's a shame that a good cast has been wasted in this turkey, because for anyone who has never seen Rosemary's Baby, it's hardly likely to make them want to watch the original.