Deadpool poised to smash box-office records

Tools    

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Marvel saving movie theaters this summer.
Marvel AND Pixar (so, ... Disney).

Gonna change AMC Theaters to Mickey's Playhouse at this point.

Although Deadpool & Wolverine is an absolute box-office smash, I think it would be interesting to ask ourselves about the budget of the films we watch. The original Deadpool film had a production budget of 58 million. The box office return was 782 million. The second film had a production budget of 110 million. The box office return was 785 million. Thus, whereas the original film had a return on investment of 1,348%, Deadpool 2 only had a return on investment of 715%. Deadpool & Wolverine had a production budget of 200 million, which means in-order to have the same return on investment as Deadpool 2, it needs to make 1.4 billion, and in order for it to have the same return on investment as the original film, it needs to make Avatar levels (like 2.6 billion).

It can be done with lots of things (especially if you look at horror films), but it is an interesting exercise to understand how beneficial it is for companies to allow filmmakers to make "original" movies with mid-level budgets.
I don't get all deep into the numbers but I have known about that site for years. I use it every once in a while. I believe it goes back several decades on films.

I drove two hours out of my way to see it in a better theater.
I live a quarter mile from mine. At one time, I lived walking distance . To see Midsommar on my day off, I walked across the street to my dermatologist , then walked 1 1/2 blocks to see the next showing of the movie.

It was hot then so that was the only time I did that.

Although Deadpool & Wolverine is an absolute box-office smash, I think it would be interesting to ask ourselves about the budget of the films we watch.
The budgets the studios report are not to be taken at face value. Remember that with Hollywood accounting, even Batman and Lord of the Rings didn't make a dime.

The budgets the studios report are not to be taken at face value. Remember that with Hollywood accounting, even Batman and Lord of the Rings didn't make a dime.
Hey I love LOTR and have an awesome print of the Road to Rohan.

When I crochet big projects, those and the Hobbit are my go to films.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I live a quarter mile from mine. At one time, I lived walking distance . To see Midsommar on my day off, I walked across the street to my dermatologist , then walked 1 1/2 blocks to see the next showing of the movie.

It was hot then so that was the only time I did that.
I used to have an AMC that was only a couple cities over (only about fifteen minutes drive), but it closed down during the pandemic. Now, my nearest AMC is about thirty-five minutes away. I don't like it very much. I remembered that the projectors had issues and the air conditioning overhead made a noise I could hear throughout the whole film. I went and watched A Quiet Place 2 in that theater (which, ironically, is where it's the loudest), and decided to go further out to the more fancy theater in St. Louis.

I used to have an AMC that was only a couple cities over (only about fifteen minutes drive), but it closed down during the pandemic. Now, my nearest AMC is about thirty-five minutes away. I don't like it very much. I remembered that the projectors had issues and the air conditioning overhead made a noise I could hear throughout the whole film. I went and watched A Quiet Place 2 in that theater (which, ironically, is where it's the loudest), and decided to go further out to the more fancy theater in St. Louis.
Hi neighbor across the state!

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Kind of.

Lord of Rings had a great return on investment, as did most of the Batman's.

There are definitely variables to factor in, but it due diligence, a lot of it can be inferred. For example, Pixar's franchise Cars is much more lucrative selling toys than in the movie industry. Likewise, a film like TMNT: Mutant Mayhem will see revenue in toy sales that is unaccounted for as well. That, the home-video industry, and, of course, streaming, are all useful ways a film can make money.

That was not my point at all.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Hi neighbor across the state!
*waves*

Now, if you got excited when Stranger Things mentioned Family Video, like I did, it'll get really crazy...

The Bib-iest of Nickels
That was not my point at all.
I understood your point. I disagreed with it. In a polite way, I refuted your belief that Lord of the Rings and Batman didn't make money at face value. They did.

*waves*

Now, if you got excited when Stranger Things mentioned Family Video, like I did, it'll get really crazy...
We had Family Video and the Blockbuster. We would go rent the new release then I would pick out 10 foreign films to rent for a dollar more.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
We had Family Video and the Blockbuster. We would go rent the new release then I would pick out 10 foreign films to rent for a dollar more.
I never had Blockbuster, but Family Video was a precious memory in my mind. A lot of years looking at those sun-bleached DVDs on the rack.

I understood your point. I disagreed with it. In a polite way, I refuted your belief that Lord of the Rings and Batman didn't make money at face value. They did.
You've just confirmed you really didn't understand my point at all.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
You've just confirmed you really didn't understand my point at all.
Feel free to fill me in. Use your words.

Feel free to fill me in. Use your words.
Of course those movies made money. And yet the studio was able to show in a court of law that they didn't make any money from them. Those lawsuits were big news at the time.

The studio estimates for their own budgets are just smoke and mirrors. Don't take them at face value.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Of course those movies made money. And yet the studio was able to show in a court of law that they didn't make any money from them. Those lawsuits were big news at the time.

The studio estimates for their own budgets are just smoke and mirrors. Don't take them at face value.
The Lord of the Rings trilogy had 93, 94, and 94 million dollar budgets, respectively, and grossed a combined box office of nearly 3.0 billion dollars. Under these measurement (provided by the studios), these movies made a lot of money? I understand you are referring to certain lawsuits that happened. I get that, but, if we take the face value amounts, they made lots of money.

You understand that I was referring to how Deadpool's budget started at 58 million, went to 100 million, and now, 200 million. The only point of that being that they are putting so much more money into it than they did before, and so, the amount they get back will be less.

You understand that I was referring to how Deadpool's budget started at 58 million, went to 100 million, and now, 200 million. The only point of that being that they are putting so much more money into it than they did before, and so, the amount they get back will be less.
I literally just told you those budget estimates are not to be taken at face value... because it is not in the studio's interest to release the real budgets.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I literally just told you those budget estimates are not to be taken at face value... because it is not in the studio's interest to release the real budgets.
Right, but, what I am saying is, if those budgets were taken at face value, then they tell us that Lord of the Rings made a lot of money. Obviously, interpreting the data at the box office is not an exact science, and the budgets become vaguer at times, but there are other ways you can gauge a film's success. For example, you can wager Lord of the Rings was successful on the basis they green-lit a followup Trilogy.

I'm not holding these people to court, I just want to know if I'll get more or less of something.

Yeah, and the MCU just became the first film franchise in history to make over $30 billion at the global box-office. It's way ahead of any other film franchise ever made.

And that's just the ticket sales, not taking into account ancillary markets, home distribution, merchandising, etc. etc. etc.