Deadpool poised to smash box-office records

Tools    

It looks like Deadpool & Wolverine might open north of $150 million domestically.

This would be both the biggest opening of 2024 so far, as well as the biggest opening ever for an R-rated movie

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ut-1235938345/

I hope it’s as fun as it sounds. It’s the first premiere I’m not attending alone in about a decade. I feel like I don’t care enough for my friend to ruin it for me, but also it should hopefully be a pretty good movie, so it won’t be a waste of time. Fingers crossed.

The box-office forecast seems to indicate it will be a HUGE hit - especially for an R-rated movie!

EXCLUSIVE: Marvel Studios/Disney‘s Deadpool & Wolverine finally opens this weekend, not only further rebounding the post-strike box office to a healthy place, but also revitalizing the MCU’s brilliance.

The current range for domestic on the new Deadpool movie directed by Shawn Levy and starring Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman is $160M-$170M, destined to be the biggest R-rated opening of all time, unseating the original Deadpool‘s $132.4M. Worldwide stands at $340M-$360M off an offshore start of $180M-$190M.

Looking at international comps (and excluding China), Joker opened in 2019 o $147M in like-for-like markets at today’s rates. Deadpool 2 did $137M in 2018 and Deadpool the first did $132M in 2016.

Tracking is off the charts in all sectors for Deadpool & Wolverine, but the statistical prognostication problem for many MCU movies destined for a $100M+ opening is how high they go beyond that point, as the sampling for movies opening to the century mark is quite small. While Twisters‘ $81.2M opening saw 40% of its ticket sales driven by premium and Imax ticket sales, Deadpool & Wolverine is taking them all away for a three-week hold. Twisters in weekend 2 is looking at a -55% hold (around $36M-plus); the pic made $9M on Monday for a running total of $90.3M.

Even if Deadpool & Wolverine settles at the bottom of its U.S.-Canada opening projections, that’s not a number that should be spat on as it’s above this year’s best start of Inside Out 2 ($154.2M) and around the vicinity of Barbie ($162M). Only 17 movies have opened to north of $170M at the domestic box office — all of them are PG-13, 15 of them are Disney titles and 10 of them are MCU. So, for an R-rated movie to crack that echelon is pretty impressive.

Im getting a weird feeling this will completely suck.
I think the only Marvel movie that's probably gonna be great in the foreseeable future will be Fantastic Four. It'll help to be completely detached from the rest of the MARVEL universe and based in the 60s. FRESH

Thoughts about the quality of the movie (which is subjective anyway) would perhaps be better suited for the other thread - the purpose of this thread is just to see how it does at the box-office.

Yes I for one am shocked that a film that appeals to men of a certain age will turn out to be economically successful.

It's almost like superhero fatigue wasn't really a thing and the thing was something else but people are too frightened to say what that thing is so you just blame a genre.

A GENRE THAT DIDN'T HURT NOBODY

So no I'm not shcoked that the last five successful films were a serual killer, a buddy cop teamup, a PIXAR sequel, a Superhero story, and a weather disaster throwback.

Also Deadpool and Logan should have gotten BP noms those were actually generational classics.

Record-breaking debut

Biggest domestic opening day of 2024!

Global opening now estimated at $420+ million

The Bib-iest of Nickels
The opening day doing nearly one-hundred million is crazy. It seems poised to reach two-hundred million overall, which would be absolutely insane, but I am wondering if something like two-hundred fifty million might be on the cards. How high can this film go, I wonder? A billion seems like a lock.

I saw it today. It was amazing and I haven't seen my local AMC theatre that full, with 30 minute movie time increments, in a long time.

Marvel saving movie theaters this summer.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Although Deadpool & Wolverine is an absolute box-office smash, I think it would be interesting to ask ourselves about the budget of the films we watch. The original Deadpool film had a production budget of 58 million. The box office return was 782 million. The second film had a production budget of 110 million. The box office return was 785 million. Thus, whereas the original film had a return on investment of 1,348%, Deadpool 2 only had a return on investment of 715%. Deadpool & Wolverine had a production budget of 200 million, which means in-order to have the same return on investment as Deadpool 2, it needs to make 1.4 billion, and in order for it to have the same return on investment as the original film, it needs to make Avatar levels (like 2.6 billion).

It can be done with lots of things (especially if you look at horror films), but it is an interesting exercise to understand how beneficial it is for companies to allow filmmakers to make "original" movies with mid-level budgets.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I saw it today. It was amazing and I haven't seen my local AMC theatre that full, with 30 minute movie time increments, in a long time.
I drove two hours out of my way to see it in a better theater.