Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
All the American talkies really piss me off at times. I'm not far from saying "can't you just shut up for a minute and contemplate or look at each other without words. You say you love each other so much, so you should be able to communicate without words. At least on the most basic level".
Mr Minio, future Hawksian!

It's not a good film (despite its great visual look), but it seems odd that you already have a whole opinion formed about it after merely 37 minutes. You haven't even seen half of it!
Really? Seems perfectly normal to me.

Yeah, I fell into the big star on the cover trap, but ya gotta admit the bait couldnt have been better

Oh it was bad. It was baaaaad. 2/10 stars
A friend of mine really liked this and was recommending it. I couldn't believe it because... Well, look at it! Look at the title! It's all terrible and screams mortgage payment.
Yes it's okay to have an opinion, but it's our job to tell you it's wrong
No, it's my job, but sometimes I deputise.

How to train your dragon 2,

6/10 - not bad, just cartoon that's why is 6.

Crystal Fairy (2013)
3/10
Weird weird weird! With next to no soundtrack what so ever this movie makes for a strange experience. After reading the movie description which said it to be a "drug-fueled road trip movie" I was expecting something abit like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, with funky special effects but boy was I wrong. The only good thing about this movie was that due to the fact that there was no soundtrack, you kinda felt as if you weren't watching a movie but you were in fact there irl!

Unregistered User

The Stepford Wives (1975)

Entertaining and well paced sci-fi comedy (?). Ending was maybe a bit of a letdown but all in all i really liked it.

Mothers Day (2010)

Ive not seen the original yet but this wasnt great.

But most 'art house' people even think Only God Forgives is a bit of a failure.

edit: Maybe I should stop, but seriously though people have tastes that just conform with general things and people they follow, don't like films because they are American or standard classics or don't have loads of themes or whatever, just because a film is 'artistic' doesn't mean it's automatically good and meaningful (this is like when Mark talks about Lynch )

I feel sorry for people who can't enjoy films like Chinatown, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, and half the time these dislikes are predictable just to try and be out there. I don't know why people feel the need to give certain type of films special treatment.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
A film is interesting to me if it's able to envoke thoughts that keep me busy for a while. It also has to make me want to think about it. Also, I was using the verb "saying" metaphorically.
That's interesting (pun intended), because OGF made me think about it. Made me think about the symbolism and its atmosphere. I couldn't forget the way it was made stylistically, but I didn't think about the substance that much. Honestly, as I said before I don't think about substance that much. You can say it means I'm ignorant or stupid, but for example Brakhage abstract films have no substance yet they invoke certain feelings in certain viewers. I'm far from saying they contain God himself in them, or something die-hard Brakhage fans imply, but I'd say these flickering colours, besides being eye-candies, have something interesting to them. Something abstract is like something you're not able to comprehend by usual means and you can only experience it in a transcendental way. To me an interesting film invokes good emotions that are hard to name and OGF did. Casablanca didn't.

That's perfectly possible, but I have also substantiated WHY I think others are better. You haven't.
I feel more connected to the characters and I like plot more.

Only God Forgives fails to deliver anything thoughtful, insightful or interesting AT ALL.
Why is a movie supposed to deliver any message? It can work purely on audiovisual level and invoke emotions.

There's a reason why Drive is considered a better movie.
I think I like OGF a little more.

That film actually has something interesting to it content-wise
Just as with OGF, Drive has a very minimalistic plot. It's about a modern day hero who helps a woman. That's not much. The main pros of Drive are music, visuals and its vibe. Same with OGF. The same "style over substance" movie as some would call it.

Sure, a good plot isn't the only way to transfer substance, you're right about that, but there does have to be substance for me in order make me actually feel something.
And here's the main difference between us. I don't need substance to feel something. OGF has substance. Maybe not much, but it still does, but even if it didn't if the movie speaks to me on audiovisual level it's enough for me. It's just like with paintings. I can contemplate a painting not being aware what all the stuff on it stands for, but still enjoy looking at it. Then I can think about the symbolism and interpret it my way.

Casablanca is just your usual movie? That's probably why it's still widely considered one of the best films ever made, 70 years after it first came out.
Both Drive and OGF will be considered classics in 70 years. Then again, the sheer fact that a movie is considered a classic doesn't say anything about its quality. And what is 'the best movie ever made' more than an opinion?

Only God Forgives is a great piece of atmospheric cinema? In some parts certainly, but it fails to be consistent in its atmospheric qualities.
In my opinion it does not fail.

It's just not a very good film and there's nothing wrong with pointing that out.
I could say that Casablanca is only a decent film and there's nothing wrong with pointing that out. The thing is that, besides pissing you off, what I said is my opinion, because I perceive art in other way than you do.

I really think it's you who is shutting your eyes for the brilliance certain seemingly conventional films can contain (in this case, Casablanca
I'm not shutting my eyes for brilliance of White Heat, It's a Wonderful Life, Double Indemnity, The Maltese Falcon, or Rope, because in my eyes these films are brilliant and Casablanca is not. You can't love eveything, but I still have a very diverse taste and love almost every kind of movies. PS: I remembered that I rated Hitchcock's Notorious
as well, but I'm not gonna say it. Don't want to piss you out. Oh, wait. I just said it!

It's not me who's hating on films that are unconventional. I love plenty of films that more conservative viewers would hate, but Only God Forgives is just not a very good effort and a very large amount of people agrees with me. You're trying to make this some kind of argument for a certain way of telling a story, but it's not. It's really about this particular film.
Firstly, I'm not hating on Casablanca. I rate it
which means a decent film. Secondly, I'd love to know what these films are. Thirdly, the fact that a lot of people dislike it means nothing. Judging by IMDB the majority of people thinks The Shawshank Redemption is the best movie ever made, but neither of us agree, do we? Then if it's for this certain film. OGF uses visuals to tell a minimalistic story. That's it. I love it, you don't.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I feel sorry for people who can't enjoy films like Chinatown, Casablanca, Citizen Kane, and half the time these dislikes are predictable just to try and be out there. I don't know why people feel the need to give certain type of films special treatment.
But Citizen Kane is superior to those movies in every possible way. Shouldn't have put them on the same sentence.

The Hireling (1973)

I really enjoyed this for the most part, although I would've liked to have seen it end a bit differently. Robert Shaw and Sarah Miles both give very good performances.

It had its moments, like the part when they went to the ATM, I enjoyed that. But the acting overall annoyed me too much.
Yea I don't think it was high quality. I found it to be kind of disturbing, yet campy.

Stalker (1979)

...is a beautiful film, but incredibly gripping. This is a great art film! 4/5
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Extremely enjoyable. All the nostalgia from the original came flooding back.

7.5/10

Attack the Block

A solid movie. Doesn't take itself too seriously.

7/10

@Minio:

You're not pissing me off.

We were just having an ordinary discussion and I think we both made our points now. It's pretty much all there in our posts. I'm not withdrawing from any statements I made in them and I can deduce that you don't either, which means that this argument is over. If we would proceed, we would just start talking in circles and repeat the same arguments over and over again (not very different from the repetitious attempts at symbolism in Only God Forgives ).