Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Riddick (2013)

I loved the first film, "Pitch Black," liked the second, "The Chronicles of Riddick," and now, with the third one, love it. It's more of a throwback to the first film, with Riddick on a planet full of nasty critters, But this time, he's got two groups of mercenary/bounty hunters who show up. It's a fine flick, with a good bit of tension, action, and yes, gore. This is one DVD I bought sight-unseen and am not disappointed.

The Chronicles of Riddick is the third film in the series, and Riddick is the fourth.

Thor: The Dark World

Such a massive step up from the first. Once again, Loki steals the show and his motives are a little more clear and justified this time around thanks to The Avengers movie. A lot of the major issues I had with the first weren't present in this movie. Very enjoyable, and a great ending.

7.75/10

Femme Fatale (2002)

and I didn't think Rebecca Romijn did a very good acting job
acting? psshaw! who needs it!

Seems Like Old Times (1980)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Locke (2014)

It's nearly 1.5 hours of a man driving a BMW on a highway, talking on the phone. There really is only so much you can expect from such a setup and initially I thought the movie was going to be boring. In fact, the sole reason why I decided to see it was because of good ratings on Rotten Tomatoes.

The good news is, amazingly, it wasn't boring. Tom Hardy's performance and the struggle of his character made it interesting. The story itself is fairly simple and quite realistic. Things like that actually happen in real life which creates this weird illusion that you are not so much watching a movie as you are in the car with that person and you get to watch an episode from his life. It's a rare cinematic "magic" nowadays.

Still, the movie is missing something quite important - the ending. You'd think there's going to be some kind of a resolution at the end and we will get to see the ultimate consequences of Locke's decision. Well... no. The movie just stops at some point before he reaches his destination and the credits roll. You could argue that the consequences of his actions have already been made clear in the conversations on the phone, so there's no point in actually showing them, but then this is still a movie, right? You are supposed to show people, not tell them. It's not an audiobook. Perhaps that kind of ending had a symbolic significance I'm not clever enough to appreciate but the point is - I didn't like it.

All in all, as far as I can see, this is a movie made for a specific audience and apparently I'm not a member of that audience. I'm not saying it's a bad movie, but it sure wasn't one I was able to fully enjoy.

Holy crap this is dull and too damn long! And I had to wait three hours for anything of any interest to happen. And it was not worth the wait.

ZOMG!! Thank you for reminding me about this movie. I had the opportunity to see this 2 years ago, but missed it. Have been kicking myself since then. I need to see this.

The Life Aquatic

2Quirky4Me
One of my favorite scenes in the whole Wes Anderson filmography imo when the jaguar shark appears towards the end. And Steve Zissou is my favorite character from Wes Cinema. :P I really liked this movie.

from me.

Onibaba (1964)

This movie had me captivated the whole way through. It's freaky, and vicious, with creepy visuals and a haunting score. About halfway through, the storyline went in a direction I didn't expect. I wasn't happy about that at first, because I was enjoying it so much, but it ended up working wonderfully. I would recommend it to anyone on this forum.

Trouble with a capital "T"

An untypically Spielberg film, that's emotionally drier than his usual fare. I liked it and it was well made.

I had some issues with a few scenes, etc...but nothing to ruining the movie for me. I'm not sure I liked Daniel Day Lewis performance as Lincoln or the last scene in the movie. Still worth a watch.

We've gone on holiday by mistake

I remember watching Fear and Loathing for the first time years ago. I had NO idea what the hell the movie was about the first time I watched it. I was unfamiliar with the source material, had no clue who Thompson was or how he operated. But the performances of Depp and Del Toro were so good I did something I had never done in my adult life. After the movie was over, I immediately watched it again. Over the years, I slowly got more of a feel of what the movie was about. Part of it was after I got used to the visual overload and the surreal nature of the film, I was able to concentrate more on the story.

This is my first viewing after I finished reading the book. And I think the production team did a fantastic job in the adaptation. The voice over narration and the majority of the dialogue are pulled straight from the book. And while certain events are shifted around or changed slightly, it really captures the narrative and surreal feel of the book perfectly. Although certain themes are are covered better in the book, as well as certain events are left out of the movie, I don't think there was any better way to adapt the novel then this way.

The performances by Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro as Raoul Duke and Dr Gonzo respectively are fantastic. Particularly Depp. In addition to the acting, the direction and look of the film is perfect. Only a man like Terry Gilliam could bring to life the surreal nature of this movie with the help of the effects department. A combo of CGI and practical effects created an acid trip look to the film. How close it is to an actual acid trip, I will never know. But the imagery is uncomfortable and terrifying. As it is meant to be. This images were not meant to be warm, fuzzy or fun. Darkly humorous yes, but they are meant to reflect the state of mind of the author. Unbalanced, paranoid, and with a head full of acid. And that is done brilliantly.

Not only has Fear and Loathing become one of my favorite books, it propels a movie that is already one of my favorite movies even higher on my list.

Love it!

This masterpiece creeps ever closer to my all time top ten with every rewatch. Watch it every 6 months or so.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Every scene is brilliant and hilarious, in fact every moment of the film is great.

I lately saw a different movies genres, like:

Need for speed 8/10 (an Aron Paul always better movie after movie); Noah 5/10 (an Russel Crowe wasted); Life is beautiful 10/10 (an great Roberto Benigni and her son in the movie); The bridges of madison county 10/10 (an intense Clint Eastwood and an extraordinary Meryl Streep); Over The Top 10/10 (one of the best movie of Sylvester Stallone); Vehicle 19 4/10 (an Paul Walker wasted and a bad screenplay).

Belle de Jour (1967)

I liked it; I think it's a solid all around movie, but it did start to drag for me towards the end, and I don't think it's especially memorable. This is the 4th Luis Bunuel movie I've seen in a short time period. I think it's better to spread out viewing his movies a little bit so his style doesn't get stale.

One of my favorite scenes in the whole Wes Anderson filmography imo when the jaguar shark appears towards the end. And Steve Zissou is my favorite character from Wes Cinema. :P I really liked this movie.

from me.
Love that scene and I also agree with your rating. Underrated Wes Anderson flick.