Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Finished here. It's been fun.

Atlantic City

Fantastic low-key gangster flick and my first film from Malle. Burt Lancaster gives a terrific performance.

-

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
The Breakfast Club (1985)

Simple but incredibly powerful and truthful... Teen years are not easy and this movie portrays it really well, using every highschool stereotype to make a point! Great movie!!!

9/10

I keep typing and then deleting. It's hard for me to really sum it up. I'm a Christian, a proud one. I know I haven't been very good at following the tenets of my religion, but I'd never exploit it in the way some people in the film do. People like that exist though, and I've never seen it represented as well as it is in Elmer Gantry. I've seen people like that, I know people like that, I've even grown up with people like that. I don't just mean people looking to make a quick buck off of God. I'm talking about people who try to scare you into doing what they think is right by telling you that you will burn in Hell for your sins. While I do believe in Hell, I don't think that's the way Christians should be representing themselves. Elmer Gantry touches on this kind of fire and brimstone way of preaching as well. It's just seeing all these things presented so powerfully on-screen had a profound affect on me.

I hope that all sounds right, or at least makes sense.
I think your expressing a lot of the frustration I have felt with organized religion over the years as well. There are a couple of things to touch on here in my opinion. First off for some reason people don't seperate organized religion from God. They see hypocrisy in the church and automatically translate that to hypocrisy in Christ and his teachings. This is not the case. Church is ran by man which instantly makes it flawed, while God is not. Now I am not a Christian who throws out the baby with the bath watee. I believe church is important, but it is not perfect.

The second point you hit on when you mention hell fire and brimstone preaching is even more important. Christians in our culture for some reason present the moral absolutes of Christianity before they present the fundamental message. This message, of course, is one of self sacrifice, unconditional love and forgiveness. The reason we do this, I think, is because we are beings of work. This is much easier for us to understand. If you act right you get what you deserve, we are taught this from a young age. The Christian message is the exact opposite of that, but that is getting missed. Unfortunately it gets missed by the church as often as unbelievers. The way we present this has totally undermined our effectiveness, and that saddens me.

I think it is a tremendous testamemt to this film that all these themes are explored through simply creating rich characters. None of this is overt. Like I said before I think everyone can project different things onto this movie. I feel like I am rambling and at the same time feel like I haven't said near enough. I hope the conversation about Elmer Gantry continues. Maybe I will write something later in Mark's old thread. Anyone who wishes to respond can there.

The Game.

Great suspenseful and fun thriller from Fincher. I had already watched it once, and had told myself that knowing the plot wouldn't result in any future viewings. But I ended up watching it anyways again, and it still works surprisingly well. I thought the fact that I knew what was happening throughout would leave the movie without suspense or watchability. The ending is still weak (as Fincher himself also has admitted) but up to that point it's a whole lot of fun to watch!

Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

Quite solid. It's a mixture of all the things you've seen before in sci-fi/action movies, but it's a well-made mixture of the best of those things.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

The Science of Sleep (2006)

I liked The Science of Sleep because it's a nice romantic comedy, but it also has some strange fantasy dream sequences. It's not clearly defined where the reality stops and the dream sequences start, but as it gets further into the dream sequences it becomes pretty obvious. The movie is a bit bizarre at times, but it's definitely worth watching.

Gone Girl (2014) -

I liked some things and I have mixed feelings about some others. Twists, twists, and twists. There isn't much blood, but when there is, oh boy. On the other hand there is plenty of nudity, including Affleck's own phallus. One character is a first-rate psychopath. Doesn't feel long for a film that is nearly two and half hours long, so definitely worth viewing. It's basically a very, very dark comedy disguised as a thriller. Overall one of Fincher's weakest efforts.

A Walk Among the Tombstones 6.8/10 - IMDb

It's a good movie, but not a great one.
It's shows Liam Neeson as an unlicensed private detective, looking for two serial killers.

The Miracle Worker (1962)

This is the true story of Anne Sullivan teaching Helen Keller how to communicate. It's a moving film, which I expected. What I didn't expect was it to be at times shocking. Helen Keller was violent as a little girl, more like a wild animal, and Sullivan was very physical back to her.

Well, I was writing a short review of Halloween 4 when my browser decided to quit on me damn it.

I'll just leave this movies' best line here, together with my rating:

*Jamie and Rachel comes running out of the school in complete fear*

Rachel: "He's inside!!!!!"

Hillbilly with shotgun: "Jesus, where?"

Rachel: "In the school!"

I'm not sure if the writers are extremely stupid or if the writers picture hillbillies this stupid... anyways haha,

The Miracle Worker (1962)

This is the true story of Anne Sullivan teaching Helen Keller how to communicate. It's a moving film, which I expected. What I didn't expect was it to be at times shocking. Helen Keller was violent as a little girl, more like a wild animal, and Sullivan was very physical back to her.

I saw The Miracle Worker in a jr. high or high school class many years ago, and it left a big impression on me. I can still picture some of the scenes like I just watched it yesterday. It's a great movie, and I'm hoping that I'll have time to re-watch it before I turn in my 1962 movie list.

I saw The Miracle Worker in a jr. high or high school class many years ago, and it left a big impression on me. I can still picture some of the scenes like I just watched it yesterday. It's a great movie, and I'm hoping that I'll have time to re-watch it before I turn in my 1962 movie list.
It was a much tougher watch than I expected. I used to make deliveries to the Perkins School for the Blind, and I'd get a kick out of flirting with the cute blind girls. Watching this movie almost made me feel guilty about it. Not quite though.

It was a much tougher watch than I expected. I used to make deliveries to the Perkins School for the Blind, and I'd get a kick out of flirting with the cute blind girls. Watching this movie almost made me feel guilty about it. Not quite though.

Yeah, I agree. It was a very tough watch, and a very powerful story, especially when you factor in that it's a true story. We were reading and discussing the book at the time I saw the movie, so I had an idea of what to expect.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
SPOILER ALERT:

I saw "The Miracle Worker' in high school, need to revisit that.

Elmer Gantry is a great one. Richard Brooks is probably the most underrated director in film history, and he started out writing for directors like Dmytryk (Crossfire) and Huston (Key Largo), even his adaptation of "In Cold Blood" is wonderful. No one ever talks about "The Professionals" which has one of the best exchanges (revolution) I've ever seen.

What I really loved about Elmer Gantry isn't just the exploitation, but the end and how one's perception of one event can be a misunderstanding. There was a "NO SMOKING" sign inside, and a guy flicks his cigarette, catches on fire. She believes in it, and thinks its divine intervention, etc., while everyone else who claims they are believers, run for their life. Shouldn't that be their "true god?"

The thing with religion, I never hear anyone make arguments about what exactly they believe in. It's like sports team, biased blind faith. Over 90% of people claim they are whatever their parents are, and it's hard to break certain dogmas, especially if it's pounded into your head over and over, at an age you'll believe anything. When you give an answer to the unknown, it gives fear to those in control who use fear. I don't think people "middle-men," - I would love if people talked about the things their leaders preached. I wanna hear "thou shall not kill" with no asterisks.

Lord High Filmquisitor
So it turns out that I lent my copy of The Killer to a friend, throwing my viewing plans for last night in disarray.

Accepted - 7/10

Now here's a film that is far better than it ever had any right to be. By all accounts, it should have been terrible, unfunny and riddled with poorly-rendered, shallow characters. Somehow it avoided all of that, finding an earnest, college-bound optimism and heart in its genuinely amusing narrative.

1408 - 9/10

For my money, this is the best horror adaptation of a Stephen King story. While not quite up there with The Shawshank Redemption in terms of overall quality, it's a intense and intelligent film about a tormented writer trapped in "an evil ****ing room." Great casting, direction and, of course, writing, made this an amazing piece of twenty-first century horror.

1408 - 9/10

For my money, this is the best horror adaptation of a Stephen King story. While not quite up there with The Shawshank Redemption in terms of overall quality, it's a intense and intelligent film about a tormented writer trapped in "an evil ****ing room." Great casting, direction and, of course, writing, made this an amazing piece of twenty-first century horror.

Is 1408 the movie with John Cusack investigating a haunted room? I rarely watch horror movies, but I like John Cusack so I saw that one, and it was very good.