Are negative reviews mostly by generally unhappy people these days?

Tools    

And, to be clear, in critical discussions NO the tastes of the average Joe mean absolutely nothing. Zero. Not because their likes or dislikes don't matter. They do. And they can like or enjoy whatever matters to them. In that, there are never any rights or wrongs.

But in regards to Criticism, ultimately all that matters is what is SAID about a film. That's what should be evaluated as a critic. Not whether someone went to it. Not if they enjoyed it or hated it or forgot about it. Only what they have to say. And the vast majority of those who go to the theater don't actually have anything to say about their feelings. They don't particularly want to. Nor, frankly, are they equipped to. Because why should they? If they just want to be diverted from their lives for an hour and a half, let them. They don't need to be a part of these more detailed and, yes, informed discussions. They can simply be the audience members that they want to be. They can enjoy or not enjoy to their hearts delight.

The reality is most people are simply not informed about the history of film. Have only watched a limited number of them. Know nothing about different strains of art theory. Dont have a pathological need to articulate the nuances of how those films made them feel or how they managed to pull it off. They haven't put in the work to do this...and thats fine. They can recommend what movies they like or don't like to their friends until they are blue in the face. You know, the people they know, whose tastes they can specifically address. The people who might watch films just like they do.

But do what these (vast majority) of viewers have to say beyond that, matter outside of their circle of friends? Well, no. Of course they don't? Because how could they? It's a subject they do not know very much about, beyond every few weeks flopping down in front of a film. How could what that person's says have any value to the world at large? Unless they have the skills to communicate these sorts of things to people they've never met (you know, something that is a learned and studied skill), what they have to say can't possibly be more than small talk..and this isn't how criticism works.

Taking the stance that movies should predominantly be critiqued and evaluated by these average Joe's, is like me taking my pet to get a checkup to some random person I see petting a cat on a street.

"Hey, they like animals! Maybe they can drain my dogs anal glands!"

Yes, it's nearly that absurd.

Name me one other thing in the world where we defer to the consumers to be the professionals? Do people who like to eat , but don't know how to cook, make our meals in restaurants? Do seniors who watch Matlock reruns while eating dried prunes defend us in court? Do children who poke at roadkill on the side of the street conduct autopsies?

Of course not. And this is the underlying malignancy of this bullshit attitude. It is designed to turn art into something very unserious. Something frivolous. Something that doesn't have any power or agency because everyone's opinion is equal. There is nothing more to see in it than what the most detached set of eyeballs happens to see. Everything else should be distrusted. There can't be such thing as an expert when there is so much of this subjectivity floating around.

It's nonsense. The kind of thing you only hear from people who I assume feel some kind of shame when their own tastes don't align with a current critical consensus (instead of them just having the more reasonable response....to not give a **** if the critics don't agree with them).

Criticism should come from people who actually have the tools to say actual things about a work of art. To draw attention to what may have been missed. And through real criticism, if someone begins to see a film in a new light, or maybe just allows them to consider it from a new perspective, that is when criticism has done its job. Because that is basically what it is for. It should offer a bit of guidance, for those who care enough, to see things in a different light. Or simply have their feelings articulated in ways they may have not had the time or inclination to work out themselves.

It's not about simply parroting back the responses of every person who ever saw the movie and counting up the yays and nays. That doesn't mean anything in a critical sense. Because everyone isn't a ****ing critic.

And that isn't an insult. Just like it wouldn't be an insult if someone told me I wasn't a brain surgeon or a priest or a botanist. Because I'm not.

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by Corax
Every other studio that has attempted a massive "universe" has failed.
As they should. As they should.

Marvel's smartest decision was no longer working with outside studios for distribution. I certainly think that had a more significant impact to there success than creating a cinematic universe.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Your job as an artist is to serve others, not yourself. A good artist is a good servant. He serves the needs and desires of the people of his time. He elevates their sight. He connects them to the issues of the day. He offers them a way to imagine a way out of the nightmare of history. The romantic theory of art is a derangement of egotism and narcissism. If you just want to write love letters to yourself, there is no need to ever make such letters public.
Just taking a minute out of my work day to say I hate everything about this paragraph.
Now back to work!

Just taking a minute out of my work day to say I hate everything about this paragraph.
Now back to work!

Personally, I'm a fan of the deep seated insecurity the whole paragraph absolutely bristles with.

Just think about how weird it is that this is how someone responds to the spectre of a person expressing themselves through art.

It's almost like they resent not being specifically catered to.

And they dare call someone else narcissistic. Astonish the lack of self awareness.

The arguments that a box office success is more worthy of attention than a moderate one, or a failure, and that art should cater to what most people are worrying about remind me of Patrick Bateman's obsession with chart-toppers like Huey Lewis and Phil Collins in American Psycho. If you haven't seen it, it's an obsession not borne from appreciation, but from a desire to conform. Heck, is holding these arguments dear any different from putting the glasses on in They Live and doing what the messages tell you to do?

Probably just a pedantic way of rephrasing what's already been said, but I thought I'd share.

The arguments that a box office success is more worthy of attention than a moderate one, or a failure, and that art should cater to what most people are worrying about remind me of Patrick Bateman's obsession with chart-toppers like Huey Lewis and Phil Collins in American Psycho. If you haven't seen it, it's an obsession not borne from appreciation, but from a desire to conform. Heck, is holding these arguments dear any different from putting the glasses on in They Live and doing what the messages tell you to do?

Probably just a pedantic way of rephrasing what's already been said, but I thought I'd share.

No, I think this is pretty much exactly on point

Psychopathic Psychiatrist
You guys are just feeding him you know
There it is!

That one comment from that one user who realizes it as the only one among dozens of users!

Well thanks for the warning!

I just read the contrarx stuff for entertainment purposes. Scratch that, I mean skim.
You don´t have to explain your actions to anyone, just do whatever you like to do and stop feeling bad about it.

Well, those movies are all probably bad.

But most of the critics are probably bad too.

If you're just reading negative reviews, the people writing them will sound sour because you've specifically chosen to read something from someone who is discontented, by definition, so that wouldn't really be evidence.
You never noticed those "negative tendencies" internet is showing more and more lately? YOUTUBE for example, you´re aware those negativity-spreading rant-videos are on top of the most clicked videos today? Ever seen one of those "Everything what´s bad with..." or "Everything what is wrong with..." videos?

Oh and how could i forget those videos who love to rip apart titles that are already mobbed with millions of negative reviews already (movies AND videogames both actually)

In obvious negative times we are living in, people tend to get more and more negative and this reflects in their reviews and how they see things. So, that is why those negativity-spreading rant-videos are probably so loved/watched by people.

Mankind is turning more and more into a hateful, angry mob of unhappy, toxic and ugly demons.

Oh, and as someone who's really liked a lot of Marvel stuff: people are criticizing it more because it's significantly worse now.
Are you sure it is worse now? Or are you people just tired of it? People being tired of something, doesn´t necessarily mean that things are really that "worse". So, something being "worse" is probably just subjective and once again, more "unhappy" people seem to rate "worse" too.

So, movies could still be "good as always" while its watchers tend to be "worse".

You guys can trust what i say, i am not calling myself "Psychiatrist" for nothing.

You never noticed those "negative tendencies" internet is showing more and more lately?
Sure I have, but it's a fallacy to assume that whatever I'm seeing is representative of the whole because--and this is key--we're not sampling tendencies randomly. We're being fed them by an algorithm. In fact, sometimes we're being fed them the more we click on them, which is a self-perpetuating cycle.

YOUTUBE for example, you´re aware those negativity-spreading rant-videos are on top of the most clicked videos today?
Exactly. Most clicked on is not the same as most common. If negativity gets more clicks, then you should expect it to be overrepresented and therefore try to compensate the other way by assuming there is less overall than you're seeing.

There's also the simple fact that, even if you corrected for this (which isn't really possible), you'd still be left sampling from people who spend a lot of time on the Internet, which thankfully still isn't anywhere near everyone. A lot of people get online to accomplish a task or learn a specific thing, and then get back off.

If you had asked whether people who spend hours and hours a day browsing aimlessly online are more negative, I'd have agreed, because I don't think that's healthy.

Are you sure it is worse now?
How could I be "sure" of that, exactly? I watch it, and I find it way worse. Someone else might have another opinion. But in this case a lot of people seem to have that opinion, which is a relevant data point.

Positing an entire culture-wide negativity shift to explain away a series of films getting steadily worse reviews is bending over pretty far backwards. That same culture seems to like plenty of other films at the same time, and basically every film series ever has seen degrading quality over time. That the films are actually getting worse is a simple, elegant, highly plausible explanation, particularly compared to the alternatives.

So, something being "worse" is probably just subjective
Of course it is. But everything is, so this doesn't tell us anything. Your opinion of how negative things have gotten is subjective, too. This is something which is true, but essentially useless for the purposes of discussion.

Now back to work!

I remember watching a documentary many years ago about some celebrated dancer/choreographer. She'd been in the game for 20-30 years and had many laurels. At one point, the documentary shifted to discuss her views on artistic expression. She stated that for most of her career she held the audience in abeyance under the idea of "art for art's sake" and that anything else was a compromise and corruption. She confessed that this often was expressed as contempt, a contempt for their ignorance and their necessity (no patrons no art, no public no exhibition, no bucks no buck rogers). She was embarrassed that she had held this view for so long, but it was evident that she was still a little ambivalent about it, despite being humbled.

So don't feel bad. Some artists spend their whole careers with their heads up their backsides, thinking that it is all about them or their muse.

Go back to work and work well. Be of service. Help others. You're not Harry Potter or Luke Skywalker. It's not all about you. You're not the main character. And if it turned out that you were Spider Man, a responsible Uncle Ben would remind you that with great power comes great responsibility (i.e., service requirements).

Be of service. Play your part. Do it well. Help others.

A great artist is a great servant. So too is a great parent or a great king. The image of Christ dying on the cross is an image of service. A little ego death isn't the end of the world.

I am greatly amused at the mental image of someone putting on the glasses and going, "Welp, I guess that's why everyone's doing this. I guess we should do exactly what they say so we'll fit into society."

Trouble with a capital "T"
...You don´t have to explain your actions to anyone, just do whatever you like to do and stop feeling bad about it....
Thanks for the medical advice Doc And the rep you gave my post too, so I repped you back...I'm nice that way!

Thanks for the medical advice Doc And the rep you gave my post too, so I repped you back...I'm nice that way!
Does he take Blue Cross/Blue Shield?

I like to see more period war films from Imperial Japan, Occupied China, Nazi controlled Germany & Fascist controlled Italy, but those are far and few between.

*Some of the best WWII films I've seen are British and Soviet made.
Yikes. I've seen some films of nazi propaganda. It's interesting from a detached clinical and historical perspective, but it's also malignant, hateful, manipulative and totally delusional. It's more horrifying than any horror move, because it's real, Hieronymus Bosch at the gates of hell. I never saw the Italian equivalent, aside from clips of the "great leader" himself. There's not really much to see there, except verification that the worst things you can ever imagine are really true.

I am greatly amused at the mental image of someone putting on the glasses and going, "Welp, I guess that's why everyone's doing this. I guess we should do exactly what they say so we'll fit into society."
This is another topic entirely, but I wonder if it's easier to convince others to do this now, or more difficult? The same? Easier, I'd wager. If a minion from Despicable Me on Aunt Gladys' Facebook page is saying you should do this, it might as well be gospel to some people.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Yikes. I've seen some films of nazi propaganda. It's interesting from a detached clinical and historical perspective, but it's also malignant, hateful, manipulative and totally delusional. It's more horrifying than any horror move, because it's real, Hieronymus Bosch at the gates of hell. I never saw the Italian equivalent, aside from clips of the "great leader" himself. There's not really much to see there, except verification that the worst things you can ever imagine are really true.
I actually haven't seen any of the hardcore Nazi propaganda films like Der ewige Jude (1940)...I'm a little scared to watch that one.

So far I've only seen one fictional war film made in Germany during the Nazi rein U-boat Westward! (1941) It was kinda boring and akin to a Hollywood b-movie...Surprisingly little propaganda just the usual soldiers bonding together, drinking and talking about women and doing their duty.

Pauline Kael's Hideous Mutant Love CHUD
Heaven's Gate, the movie not the cult

If this is your off-handed way of letting me know that I've been wasting my life up until now, sacrificing goats and the occasional poorly-winded small child to the dreaded man-goat, Kris Kristofferson: now you're just being hurtful.
"If it was priggish for an older generation of reviewers to be ashamed of what they enjoyed and to feel they had to be contemptuous of popular entertainment, it's even more priggish for a new movie generation to be so proud of what they enjoy that they use their education to try to place trash within the acceptable academic tradition." -- Pauline Kael

The arguments that a box office success is more worthy of attention than a moderate one, or a failure, and that art should cater to what most people are worrying about remind me of Patrick Bateman's obsession with chart-toppers like Huey Lewis and Phil Collins in American Psycho. If you haven't seen it, it's an obsession not borne from appreciation, but from a desire to conform.
Totally true. That said, I will definitely watch something simply because it's become a cultural phenomena, but at that point my motive has less to do with finding art to appreciate and more with understanding the culture better and/or simply having more things to talk to more people about it.

Also, I'm fine with using widespread success as a humility trigger, IE: "well, if that many people like it, maybe I judged too hastily." Kinda similar to how a film with sufficient critical praise might cause me to give it a look, or another look, if I didn't think much of it the first time.

Other people's opinions should matter to us in many contexts for many reasons. They should cause us to reevaluate and rethink. They just can't ever be allowed to merely replace our own.