The MoFo Musicals Countdown - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Willkommen, Bienvenue, Welcome... to the MoFo Musical Countdown preliminary thread!

The rules:

- Submit a ranked list of your top 25 musical movies (Your #1 at #1 which will receive 25 points, your #2 at #2 which will receive 24 points etc.)

-You can submit your ballot using Yoda's patented ballot submission tool. I will add the link to this here when it is ready.

-The deadline for submissions will be Tuesday 17th September, which gives you 3 and a half months of musical-watching.

- All lists are final. Please do not post your list here or anywhere public before the end of the countdown.

-Partial ballots with 10 or more movies will be accepted.

Eligibility

A musical is defined by wikipedia as:

"a film genre in which songs by the characters are interwoven into the narrative, sometimes accompanied by dancing. The songs usually advance the plot or develop the film's characters, but in some cases, they serve merely as breaks in the storyline, often as elaborate "production numbers".

And by @Harry Lime as:

"where people (and animals or candlesticks) randomly burst into song"

I'm not going to request people check eligibility using tags on imdb or anything like that (although you can certainly use those to help you find eligible movies). A musical has songs throughout, not just one or two incidents of characters singing karaoke.

Allowed: animated movies, jukebox musicals, classic musicals, modern musicals, musicals where all the singing takes place on stage, musicals with no dancing whatsoever, sung through musicals

Not allowed: concert films, documentaries, movies with only one song, musical TV episodes

Will it be a top 100? Yes, providing we get enough ballots submitted!

THE BALLOT TOOL HAS ARRIVED

https://www.movieforums.com/ballot.php

Important information:

-Submit 10-25 musical movies.
-Submit them in order with your #1 at #1
-CHECK THE YEAR! Some musicals have more than one version (West Side Story, for example), some musicals share a title with non-musical films etc.(e.g. Les Miserables has many non-musical versions)
- imdb is your friend in this case.
-Be very sure before you submit because there's no changing your ballot.

Shout out to @Yoda for creating and updating the ballot tool.

Lists received 52:

Holden Pike
Nope 1172
Torgo
Allaby
Harry Lime
Seanc
Nyctc7
Lamb Eelyak
iluv2viddyfilms
Diehl40
Phoenix 74
Daniel M
Wigram
Dadglumbah
Exiler96
Frightened Inmate No. 2
Hey Fredrick
SawDuck
John-Connor
rauldc14
Gideon58
mrblond
Miss Vicky
John W Constantine
WHITBISSELL!
Robert the List
Wooley
Captain Steel
Steve Freeling
hownos
SpelingError
Fabulous
kgaard
Thief
Thursday Next
honeykid
Yoda
Citizen Rules
cricket
Little Ash
Keyser Corleone
beelzebubble
gbgoodies
sarahf
omnizoa
Funny Face
Diehl40
Wyldesyde19
Stillmellow
Takona11
MovieMeditation
Siddon
Captain Spaulding

Can't wait! Are we allowed to share recommendations here?

Can't wait! Are we allowed to share recommendations here?
Absolutely! Please do. I think there will be some dedicated musical-watching threads and games coming soon too so watch this space...

Allowed: animated movies, jukebox musicals, classic musicals, modern musicals, musicals where all the singing takes place on stage, musicals with no dancing whatsoever, sung through musicals
Just for absolute clarity, does this mean I can vote for movies about musicians, provided the movie has a lot of singing?

I'm thinking Walk the Line, A Mighty Wind, and The Broken Circle Breakdown?

Ok, a very small list of some favorite and/or obscure ones that I think are worth a watch...

Hallelujah (1929) - Far from perfect, but historically notable and one that has stuck with me.
Cabin in the Sky (1943) - One of my personal favorites, directed by Vincente Minnelli
Once (2007) - Fast-forward to another century, this is one that will likely rank very high on my list.

Obligatory Hedwig and the Angry Inch plug:

I hate musicals. But I LOVE Hedwig. Top ten movie for me and the only musical I've ever considered seeing on stage.

Also on the animated side, I highly recommend Charlotte's Web (1973).

Because the fair IS a veritable smorgasbord, orgasbord, orgasbord, after the crowds have ceased!

Obligatory Hedwig and the Angry Inch plug:

I hate musicals. But I LOVE Hedwig. Top ten movie for me and the only musical I've ever considered seeing on stage.
I second this recommendation. Fantastic film. Hope it makes the countdown.

Ok, a very small list of some favorite and/or obscure ones that I think are worth a watch...

Hallelujah (1929) - Far from perfect, but historically notable and one that has stuck with me.
Cabin in the Sky (1943) - One of my personal favorites, directed by Vincente Minnelli
Once (2007) - Fast-forward to another century, this is one that will likely rank very high on my list.
I second these recommendations. Hallelujah is excellent. Hope it makes the countdown. I enjoyed Once as well. I'm not a huge fan of Cabin in the Sky, but it is still worth checking out.

My recommendations for lesser known/underseen musicals:
(all of these are tagged as musicals on imdb and have less than 1000 votes)

Ain't Misbehavin' (1955)
Rhythm on the River (1940)
Young People (1940)
Golden Eighties (1986)
Never Say Die (1939)
Grace Stirs Up Success (2015)
Zouzou (1934)
Bang Bang Baby (2014)
Just Around the Corner (1938)
The First Nudie Musical (1976)

Trouble with a capital "T"
Great job Thursday! Looking forward to this

Yesterday I started the arduous task of going through all of IMDBs musicals and saving a list of all that I've seen. I made another list for all the musical I need to watch or rewatch. Damn, there's alot of musicals out there to see!

Here are a few films that are tagged music on letterbox that might be on the fence in terms of eligibility. I have not seen some of them to determine if they use music to advance the plot. I think they are (have not seen Nashville or Once). This is just a list to watch. I have no idea if any of them will be on my final list.

Pink Floyd's The Wall
Walk Hard
Amadeus
Nashville
Once
Quadraphenia
Reefer madness

Looking forward to it. I'll take this opportunity to share the only rap musical I'm aware of besides Hamilton and In the Heights: Tokyo Tribe. There really should be more of them.