Documentaries

Tools    

Loved this documentary set in a Parisian hospital. So interesting to see rather stark contrasts between the care of female patients in America & that of France. Quelle surprise.

Also, not for the squeamish.

Loved this documentary set in a Parisian hospital. So interesting to see rather stark contrasts between the care of female patients in America & that of France. Quelle surprise.

Also, not for the squeamish.
I watched this a couple months ago and really liked it. Very interesting, although a little longer than it needed to be.

I watched this a couple months ago and really liked it. Very interesting, although a little longer than it needed to be.
I could have watched so much more. What a “twist” with the director, non? (Don’t disclose it here.)

I could have watched so much more. What a “twist” with the director, non? (Don’t disclose it here.)
Yes. Have you seen any other similar type of documentaries that you recommend?

Yes. Have you seen any other similar type of documentaries that you recommend?
There were two of these very excellent documentaries that I loved. I wish there were more.

There were two of these very excellent documentaries that I loved. I wish there were more.

I will have to check that out. Other documentaries that I liked focusing on women's issues/bodies or similar themes:

Birth Story: Ina May Gaskin and The Farm Midwives (2012)
Bodysong (2003)
Embrace (2016)
Regrouping (1976)
Réponse de femmes: Notre corps, notre sexe (1975)
Smoke Sauna Sisterhood (2023)
Subjects of Desire (2021)

If you're into births, check Kawase's Birth/Mother and Genpin.

Terrific documentary that I saw twice. Dang, these guys are handsome.
Did you watch it in IMAX?

In some unusual news, a documentary is being turned into a musical (but you can still watch the documentary on Peacock)

Summer Qamp, a documentary following a group of LGBTQ+ youth at an idyllic lakeside camp in Alberta, Canada, is potentially getting a very interesting spinoff.

Clea DuVall is in talks to turn the doc into a musical, a rare move for a piece of non-fiction.

DuVall, who directed hit LGBTQ+ romantic comedy Happiest Season starring Kristen Stewart and Mackenzie Davis, which broke records for Hulu, has said that the doc is “funny, touching and powerful” and “will make you wish you were a teen again so you could go to this camp”. Duvall’s wife Mia Weier is one of the exec producers of the documentary.

DuVall is collaborating on the musical adaptation with Steve Robillard, who was part of the Summer Qamp documentary team.

The news comes after Peacock acquired the U.S. rights to the documentary, which will launch on June 7.

Summer Qamp follows a group of campers enjoying the traditional summer camp experience in a safe, affirming environment where they deepen their connections with their community and themselves.

Jen Markowitz directed the doc. Summer Qamp is a Cineflix production presented by Bright West Entertainment in association with Hello Friend and Robillard. Exec producers include Alex Lieberman, Cineflix’s J.C Mills and Tanya Blake, Michelle Mama and Hello Friend Media’s Lauren Heimer and Mia Weier. Submarine Entertainment handled sales.

The film had its world premiere at the 2023 Toronto International Film Festival and went on to screen at over 40 film festivals around the world including the Hamptons International Film Festival and Palm Springs International Film Festival.

DuVall recently signed up to direct Abbi and the Eighth Wonder, a female-driven comedy adventure film in development at TriStar Pictures.

Did you watch it in IMAX?
I don’t go to movie theaters so no. Must be great in IMAX, but what I don’t have I won’t miss. Amazing the 6 of them can fly 18 inches between each other at 700 mph.

Plus they now have their first female pilot in the Angels & IIRC she is the lead pilot.

Celebrate the change of the season, catch a wave with the most carefree of all documentaries, the 1960's The Endless Summer. It's the movie that made every teenager, even if they lived in Iowa, want to slick their hair, and buy some sandals and a Big Gun, so they could go to The Pipeline. Now, it's just delightfully escapist.

Celebrate the change of the season, catch a wave with the most carefree of all documentaries, the 1960's The Endless Summer. It's the movie that made every teenager, even if they lived in Iowa, want to slick their hair, and buy some sandals and a Big Gun, so they could go to The Pipeline. Now, it's just delightfully escapist.
'Preciate the tip. I didn't care anything about surfing in the mid '60s because I thought it was too corny, what with the Beach Boys, Gidget, and the rest. I don't feel that way now.

Last night I did watch a more modern sequel, Step Into Liquid (2003) which shows a lot of the advances and styles that have come along more recently. Some of it is hugely impressive, including tow-in surfing and tanker surfing, and other wildass techniques.

'Preciate the tip. I didn't care anything about surfing in the mid '60s because I thought it was too corny, what with the Beach Boys, Gidget, and the rest. I don't feel that way now.

Last night I did watch a more modern sequel, Step Into Liquid (2003) which shows a lot of the advances and styles that have come along more recently. Some of it is hugely impressive, including tow-in surfing and tanker surfing, and other wildass techniques.
Yeah, I remember that one. I have the DVD, will have to re-watch it.