Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I don't watch movies at night, but I have received ideas from this thread and the "Last Movie" (among other things, especially if its from someone who has a good history of recommendations).

I've seen it before (wife hasn't) but tonight my wife and I will start viewing the multi-episode The Civil War documentary by Ken Burns. To me it's a masterpiece and one of the five greatest docs ever made. She's excited.

This is a rough one....Ghostlight - A "tiny" film, in the sense of a minimal budget, zero FX, no actor you have probably heard of and sets that really do look like someone's living room. A family is struggling with the loss of a son to suicide. The daughter has some serious school and behavior problems that seem related, Dad is having job trouble because of time off from work and Mom is emotionally overwhelmed. Dad tried out for a part in a community theater but the play becomes somewhat like group therapy as the fate of Romeo and Juliet seem to relate to the Son's death. Thankfully, in spite of all of this family drama and angst, there is some resolution at the end.

It's worth noting that the three lead actors, Mom, Dad and Daughter, are exactly that in real life, real family members. Fortunately for them, the event that crystallizes this story is fictional.

I have to go two ways on this one. One the one hand, it's an excellent piece of small, personal drama, portrayed really well, by actors who seem completely committed to the roles. On the other hand, being in the mood for some dinner and a movie downtown on a weekend night, it was way too much believable angst for me. I kept looking for some comic relief. It took a long time to get to some resolution, but thankfully there was some resolution.

I'm thinking -

for my entertainment preference for tonight but

for the quality of the acting and script writing.

This is a rough one....Ghostlight - A "tiny" film, in the sense of a minimal budget, zero FX, no actor you have probably heard of and sets that really do look like someone's living room.

Roger Ebert's take on it -

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/g...lm-review-2024

For some reason had it in my mind that this was a Canadian film, but apparently not. Literally had it marked ‘Canadian’ in my list. Maybe there’s another one. Added it to my list after someone here watched (Takoma maybe?), so thanks for that!

A good one. Might rewatch soon. The lead actress is remarkable, as is the colour scheme.

Cold getting progressively worse. Literally damaged my throat by coughing. Poor me. At least I can watch movies in relative peace.

What a fantastic film.

@AgrippinaX wow, Valerie and Her Week of Wonders looks fantastic! The Double Life of Veronique is a movie I've heard nothing but good things about, and looks fantastic. I'll have to check out both of these soon. Cha Cha Real Smooth was pretty good. It's one of Dakota Johnson's better roles.

@Zotis, it was a lucky day for me yesterday, because Valerie and Her Week of Wonders and The Double Life of Veronique both really are fantastic, do check them out. I didn’t know much about either, and randomly picking two great films in one day is neat.

Cha Cha Real Smooth was pretty good, I always enjoy seeing Dakota Johnson, even though so many of her films are ridiculous. This was a pretty mature and deep one, though, I didn’t quite expect it. Always good to be surprised.

@AgrippinaX yeah, I saw Madame Webb, and was somehow enthralled enough by the so bad it's good appeal to watch it all the way through to the end. I felt that she was a good actor in spite of the movie being terribly directed. She also did Fifty Shades of Grey, which I don't think I could ever bring myself to watch.