Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga

Tools    

Was this an espresso day? Did the dog barf in the bed in the middle of the night? Are the neighbor’s Christmas lights still up?

Give what’s his name credit for provoking a response, cause that’s about all you can.

Ouch....

Boldly going.
I have no interest in this movie; it seems very predictable. Fury Road already showed us where Furiosa came from, and it hinted that she tried to rebel against Immortan Joe, and that's how she lost her hand, but because she was such a badass, she eventually regained Joe's respect and he made her essentially the general of his army. Personally I would have rather moved on from Furiosa and the Citadel and followed Mad Max on another adventure.

3rd week in theaters and it's already out of the top 5... WB not getting a hit this summer, definitely nothing remotely like Barbie

Jodie Comer confirming she was considered for the part of Furiosa

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Going to watch this here in a little bit. Looking forward to it as I loved Fury Road. I have a couple reservations about a prequel without Mad Max (Tom Hardy), as I think prequel's open an interesting pandora's box into what walks the border between solid writing or in the worst cases, fan fiction... but I have a feeling it'll be a decent film. If it ends up being the "Rogue One" of the series, that ain't a bad thing at all.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

A Mad Max movie without Mad Max? At all? How very "updated for modern audiences." Why not call it Furious Furiosa or The Fast and Furiosa or I got screwed at the drive through again and am now Furiosa? Sing it Tina! "What's Max got to do, got to do with it? What's Max but a cis-gender male protagonist?

48-year-old Theron replaced with two decades younger "it" girl Anna Taylor-Joy? Black Widow redux? Come on man. Charlize ain't that old. Tom Cruise is 61. I mean, it's the wasteland. People should look rough. Charlize can do action. Sexism and and ageism? A prequel for a sidequel?

And where in the hell are they getting all these cars? They've got all the techno know-how to keep thousands of rusting cars busting sand dunes as implausibly modified vehicles with 1,000 horsepower, but they haven't figured out how to get the WiFi working again? Really? So, when the apocalypse hits, people are going to flock to where resources are the most scarce and battle each other in least fuel-efficient vehicles imaginable?

I love The Road Warrior, but that was back when all cars were gas-powered and when we could conceive of a scarcity "churn" in which there was no oil (per the prologue of The Road Warrior). But the churn wouldn't last forever. Thunderdome shows society rebuilding on methane (i.e., the churn would not last forever), and today we're well into solar and wind power and we have electric cars. Big V8's in the wasteland is an increasingly strained premise--not quite Mortal Engines (wheeled cities) silly, but silly nonetheless.

But I guess this is a turn off your brain and watch the girl bosses fight the patriarchy film, right?

bravo

The Tom Hardy one was exhausting. How many car chases can you watch before it gets old?

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
The Tom Hardy one was exhausting. How many car chases can you watch before it gets old?

We just got back from watching Furiosa... I'll give a brief review later when I get more time. It's not as great or singular as Fury Road, a film which made my top 15 list of films from the previous decade (2010-2019), but it's still darn good and lives up to expectations.

Fury Road is actually my second favorite Mad Max film, behind the original. Just real quick general ranking of them all:

1. Mad Max - A+
2. Fury Road - A+
3. The Road Warrior - A-
4. Furiosa - A-
5. Beyond Thunderdome - B (although to be fair, it's been over 20 years since I watched this in full and likely it's due for rewatch)

So yeah, Furiosa is a well done, expertly crafted (great framing of the shots, tight editing without going all over the place so the audience can't follow every moment of action, and the CGI - while at times obvious, never felt intrusive or artificial to the point it took me out of the story). It's just a fun, fun action film and unlike so many action films, it doesn't contain loads of stomach churning and mood disrupting expository dialogue (basically every comic book film these days). Furiosa... Mad Max or no Mad Max... yes, yes I know the "cameo" is more than worthy of your time and dollar and it lives up the Mad Max time and its predecessor from 2014. It's too bad it didn't do as well as one would hope. There's still time and I hope word of mouth catches on and it makes a ton of money, because one thing I do know... I would love another Mad Max film AND I would love Tom Hardy to fill the role again.

George Miller is a wonderful director and the writing is top notch because the dialogue is so minimal. Great world building and imagery. It's clear Miller has learned a trick or two when it comes to how framing is done from the likes of classics like Lawrence of Arabia and The Searchers... the colors... the orange hues of the sand and desert contrasted against the deep blues of the sky just make for a wonderful color template. That was true of both John Ford and David Lean's film and it's true of George Miller's.

Oh and any criticism of car chases or the action getting old... I can understand that and in the hands of a lesser director who doesn't know how to do action as well (ahem... Chris Nolan... I know, I know, but it's true) I would agree. George Miller knows how to frame action and is an expert at it because each action piece contains narrative, progression, and character development. Case in point... there's a... just by my guess 30-35 minute chase in the middle of Furiosa that is beautifully done BECAUSE we the audience know exactly what is going on... where the characters are and the stakes involved AND in the middle of this huge set piece... we're actually seeing Furiosa become Furiosa and there's character development and dynamic between her and the first big rig driver... not sure the actor of character's name, but the dude who resembles Tom Sizemore a bit, at least to me he does.

It's how you tell a story and of course all these Mad Mad films post the original film... owe a debt of gratitude toward the grand daddy "action on the go" sequences in Buster Keaton's The General. Fury Road and Furiosa owe a debt of gratitude to The General... as well, as Stagecoach... and that's a good thing.

Yeah this film needs to make waaay more $$ than whatever the latest Marvel junk is being released. So thems is my two-cents worth... and here I start this post intending to be brief.

One other quick note to add since I was it was brought up in an earlier post. As far as any discussion on whether or not audiences are exhausted of "girl boss" films or that whole arc... I honestly couldn't care less. I don't inherently like or dislike "girl boss" movies. If the story and narrative and characters are worthy of the action, then it's perfectly fine. Now, I'm the last person who wants a feminist narrative preached to me... believe me, however Furiosa has ZERO preaching or obnoxious beat the audience over the head, "girl power!" stuff going on. It's just a well done revenge narrative action film and what you see is what you get and it's also done by a filmmaker who knows how to tell a damn good fun story!

And here's a link to Buster Keaton's The General for those who haven't seen it. The inspiration is as clear as day:

Welcome to the human race...
And where in the hell are they getting all these cars? They've got all the techno know-how to keep thousands of rusting cars busting sand dunes as implausibly modified vehicles with 1,000 horsepower, but they haven't figured out how to get the WiFi working again? Really? So, when the apocalypse hits, people are going to flock to where resources are the most scarce and battle each other in least fuel-efficient vehicles imaginable?

[left]I love The Road Warrior, but that was back when all cars were gas-powered and when we could conceive of a scarcity "churn" in which there was no oil (per the prologue of The Road Warrior). But the churn wouldn't last forever. Thunderdome shows society rebuilding on methane (i.e., the churn would not last forever), and today we're well into solar and wind power and we have electric cars. Big V8's in the wasteland is an increasingly strained premise--not quite Mortal Engines (wheeled cities) silly, but silly nonetheless.

But I guess this is a turn off your brain and watch the girl bosses fight the patriarchy film, right?
a, it's a prequel. b, it's part of a film series where the apocalypse happens in the 1980s so wi-fi or various forms of renewable energy never existed in this world. c, thunderdome showing exactly one town built around methane is not indicative that everyone in the entire wasteland would automatically switch over to it, especially when road warrior and fury road and furiosa establish that refineries not only continue to exist but repeatedly become major factors in their respective plots.