Zotis Has Returned

Tools    

I don't remember what it was that rubbed me the wrong way about you. Just keep posting.

Hiroshi Shimizu.

@Mr Minio oh, that Shimizu. I was not familiar with him. I looked him up though and it seems like he has quite the reputation, although didn't get as much recognition as he deserved, falling in Ozu's shadow. He sounds very interesting.

@Citizen Rules thanks, that means a lot. After I got banned, I couldn't find anything else online like this place. Just a place to hang out and talk about movies with other cinema enthusiasts. Old school style forums like this hardly exist anymore, and the trends of places like reddit, anilist, and 4chan are geared towards this constant feed that everything just gets lost in.

I also always enjoyed our interactions. Glad you've still stuck around.
This place is unusual. In a good way. I tried Reddit for about a week or so, but quickly bailed.

While we imperfect humans can make anything challenging or difficult, mindfulness is more prevalent here than in most online sites.

Oh hi Zotis, wb! I only just came back (again) myself.
Read your user title as Registered Abuser.

Read your user title as Registered Abuser.

LMAO! Well when my avi changes to a proper arsehole, will use that! The current one suited my previous avi and I haven't thought of one to go with this yet. Sean Wallace (and the actor who plays him) is something, but abuser? Naaaaw.

This place is unusual. In a good way. I tried Reddit for about a week or so, but quickly bailed.

While we imperfect humans can make anything challenging or difficult, mindfulness is more prevalent here than in most online sites.
Did you go on Reddit for film discussion specifically? I’d used it on occasion over the years to do anonymous research of sorts. This year, as I seem to be kind of down, I went on Reddit again to vent/get outside perspectives on some thoughts and, yeah… I should not have done that.

Not only did I get banned twice (which will surprise no one here ), but I ended up far more deflated than at any point pre-Reddit. So good riddance, but oof. What little film discussion I encountered there was, excuse me, asinine.

Reddit is extremely good for basic advice and seeing if other people than you have had the same problem or question. It's pretty bad for actual discussion, though.

Welcome back Zotis! Truth be told I probably should have been banned once or twice sometime in my 10 plus years being here, so you definitely should be given another chance.

Being banned is like driving drunk. Those that are banned, thats like getting a DUI. Others that haven't simply got away with it.

Reddit is extremely good for basic advice and seeing if other people than you have had the same problem or question. It's pretty bad for actual discussion, though.
I know that now! Only ever lurking from now on. Some show-specific communities do have fascinating trivia, I’ll give them that.

Oh yeah. Reddit is amazing for that stuff, theory crafting about plot heavy shows. The hivemind is so good at that that I won't even go onto those subreddits for twisty shows because the odds that someone has figured things out are extremely high.

That and stuff like "what does it mean when my air conditioner makes this sound?" Or "what's a good program to do video editing below $X?" Invaluable for that kinda thing.

Oh hi Zotis, wb! I only just came back (again) myself.
Glad you're still around! Since I know how passionate you are about horror films, you must tell me about the gems you've discovered since I've been gone.

Thanks rauld.

Welcome back Zotis! Truth be told I probably should have been banned once or twice sometime in my 10 plus years being here, so you definitely should be given another chance.

Being banned is like driving drunk. Those that are banned, thats like getting a DUI. Others that haven't simply got away with it.

Hehe, thanks TONGO, although in my case it was more like I kept drinking and driving and the officer kept pulling me over and giving me slaps on the wrist or warnings and letting me go. But then one day I was just just like, "No screw it, I was barely going over the speed limit, I'm not paying this ticket!" And I assaulted the police officer and got locked up. Then after sitting in a cell for a few years contemplating, I went to the parole board, and they graciously let me out on parole. So hopefully I can be a respectable member of society and avoid any more traffic violations. I quit drinking about a year ago, so that should help.

I quit drinking about a year ago, so that should help.

Good for you Z! I've been clean and sober over 5 years now. It's a world of difference because we react to the same world differently than we ever had

Did you go on Reddit for film discussion specifically? I’d used it on occasion over the years to do anonymous research of sorts. This year, as I seem to be kind of down, I went on Reddit again to vent/get outside perspectives on some thoughts and, yeah… I should not have done that.

Not only did I get banned twice (which will surprise no one here ), but I ended up far more deflated than at any point pre-Reddit. So good riddance, but oof. What little film discussion I encountered there was, excuse me, asinine.
Film discussion, yes. It's a complete madhouse there, and idiocy at 300 mph.

I remember someone starting a topic about the alleged dominance of some color in some marginal movie, and his opening comments were pages long, and invited dozens of replies. And this kind of topic was repeated thousands of times over. Water water everywhere nor any drop to drink.

Film discussion, yes. It's a complete madhouse there, and idiocy at 300 mph.

I remember someone starting a topic about the alleged dominance of some color in some marginal movie, and his opening comments were pages long, and invited dozens of replies. And this kind of topic was repeated thousands of times over. Water water everywhere nor any drop to drink.
That sounds… bizarre. Half-tempted to go check it out for myself, but I won’t, I’ve deleted Reddit following my disappointing forays. I guess this is a question of general writing etiquette, right, which is now severely lacking everywhere. Funny thing is, when I was there I was more irked by the awful grammar and the slang and the abbreviations (the opposite of what you’re saying, really).

The replies side of things on Reddit just doesn’t seem very well-thought through for something this massive. I remember reading a long, in-depth thread about AI about seven months ago, before I went off Reddit completely. It was fascinating and rather disturbing, but that’s for another day. Like you said, every long-form reply invited several long-form replies, and I really wanted to follow the conversation, because it was very astute, but the format just made it utterly impossible.

I even went and loaded up that same thread on my laptop, but it still wouldn’t let me read most of it in any kind of order without crashing. I suppose Reddit wasn’t really designed with this kind of thing in mind.

Lemme guess, /r/TrueFilm?

Saying Reddit is this or that is like saying Americans are this or that. There are thousands of subreddits, each with different rules and moderation. Saying that Reddit is this or that based on a single or a few subreddits is like saying I met a bigot from the US and now I think all Americans are like that. Of course, more general statements about the mechanism behind the platform itself, the ones Yoda likes to make, are more truthful. For example, it's true that Reddit is less convenient to use for long discussions but this doesn't mean you cannot have a long and fruitful discussion there.

Lemme guess, /r/TrueFilm?

Saying Reddit is this or that is like saying Americans are this or that. There are thousands of subreddits, each with different rules and moderation. Saying that Reddit is this or that based on a single or a few subreddits is like saying I met a bigot from the US and now I think all Americans are like that. Of course, more general statements about the mechanism behind the platform itself, the ones Yoda likes to make, are more truthful. For example, it's true that Reddit is less convenient to use for long discussions but this doesn't mean you cannot have a long and fruitful discussion there.
I checked out literally hundreds of topics there on numerous sub thingies, but the particular type I described was the one I found most unhinged and annoying.

So I had quite an extensive tour, and encountered many idiotic things, but just wanted to share the most idiotic.

There's also lots and lots of pointless conflict initiated by people who seem to be there for nothing but conflict.

But your input is always inputty, so thanks for replying.

Glad you're still around! Since I know how passionate you are about horror films, you must tell me about the gems you've discovered since I've been gone.

Censor is my first tip.