My 2024 Watchlist Obsession!

→ in
Tools    

Love Jeanne Dielman. And I think it's somehow even better on a second viewing.

Here's what I wrote about it after my second watch.

Like you write in your review, the film has a complicated relationship with the domestic rituals it portrays.

The trick is not minding
Great film that is, weirdly, the source of a lot of controversy over its recent Sight and Sound ranking.
So much to take in with every scene.
Yes, even the infamous potato peeking scene.

Here's what I wrote on the film some time ago:

Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (1975) -

It's boring and repetitive - just as I expected it would be - in almost every sense of the word, yet it's also one of the most impactful experiences I've had in film. Watching this film was reminiscent of The Passion of Joan of Arc as both films use their repetition to put you in their protagonist's headspaces. As I watched Jeanne complete more and more chores around her apartment, I grew bored, but the boredom I felt was all at the heart of Jeanne's boredom. Just as I found the scenes of Jeanne performing her daily routine tedious and repetitive, she felt that as well - for a while, in fact. Showing only a couple scenes of Jeanne completing some chores wouldn't have sufficed. The film needed to keep piling them up one after the other to the point it wears you down, and this is where the film excels at. Like, why include a clunky expository line of dialogue which explains her boredom when the film can get you to feel this instead?

Throughout the first half of the film, everything runs like clockwork for Jeanne. Around the middle of the film though, her routine begins to unravel as she begins making various mistakes. These mistakes include running out of potatoes, walking into the wrong room, dropping a spoon on the ground, or even subtler mistakes such as bumping a jar of milk with a plate or getting her apron stuck on a chair for a couple seconds. As these errors keep piling up, the more clear it is that the film is building to something and a sense of impending doom slowly grows. This will be the culmination of the tedious lifestyle she lived with for what was presumably a long time. During the second half of the film, I found myself paying more and more attention to every action she took, trying to spot another error she'd make, regardless of how insignificant it may be. As this went on, I began to notice how meticulous the film was with all the details of her daily routine. Once I got to Jeanne attempting to make coffee, I realized that, in spite of this film taking place almost entirely in an apartment, its scope is as epic as 2001 concerning how much information is shown onscreen. Overall, I loved this film and I'm definitely going to rewatch it soon. I have it at a 9/10 now, but I could see it going up to a 10/10 in the future.

I also think that someone could write an absolute banger of an essay about looking at Jeanne Dielman alongside the rise of the "trad wife" movement on social media (and also maybe encompassing the genre of cleaning videos, and the "embrace the mess" idea of housekeeping).

Jeanne Dielman asks a pretty basic question of its audience: is there something worth watching here, too?

Movies all throughout cinema's history have turned our gaze towards all kinds of novel and sometimes seemingly insignificant things, so why not this?

It shouldn't be a controversial question to answer.

Now outside of the films fairly basic premise, is it 'difficult'? I guess. Sort of. There is definitely this attitude that the film can only be appreciated through some kind of intellectual or ideological lens. That it can't be enjoyed in the same way Kane or Vertigo are enjoyed, even though when we boil it all down, the only thing that its long extended scenes actually require to be appreciated can be found in one simple concept: empathy.

Just like Italian Neorealists who pushed the trills and trinkets of most standard cinema at the time to the sidelines, in order to simply observe life, Akerman is only doing the same here. All she wants to know is: Do we see her? And if not, have you looked into your own kitchen recently?

When it comes to this films politics, this is really all it boils down to. It's not a question that should provoke such a weird amount of hostility, and it's really only because of the hyperbolic reaction it receives from so many people, that its ideological element becomes so prominent in its discussion. When ultimately, this is simply about one thing, and one thing only: is there something worth watching here?

I would say, clearly there is. As long as critics keep throwing up there hands and screaming that this isn't even a movie, it has something to show us about ourselves. About why we try to deny the invisible people in society the luxury of even having a narrative to call their own. But most importantly, even if we ever get to the point where the controversy over the film goes away, and people stop frothing at the mouth at the simple mention of her name, this will still be a life worth examining because, just like Vertigo does with Scotty, or Citizen Kane does with Charles Foster Kane, Jeanne Dielman reveals someone to us:Jeanne Dielman. And her commonality shouldn't exclude us from seeing value in her. Or her story. Or the movie she is in.

Argh, wish I hadn't seen that. Hope that won't affect my enjoyment of the movie.
So I went into the film knowing that piece of information and it didn't really impact my enjoyment of the film. Obviously it takes away some impact of a moment like that when you know it is coming, but this isn't a film that hinges on just a single moment in the last act. Also, weirdly, considering it's the most dramatic thing that happens in the film from a conventional point of view, I almost never think about it when I think back on the film. I'm always like, "Oh, yeah. That's a thing that happened."

It honestly never ceases to amaze me how many people/websites will include that particular plot element in a summary when clearly it is something the viewer should arrive at on their own.

Argh, wish I hadn't seen that. Hope that won't affect my enjoyment of the movie.
It probably will & I deeply apologize. I never even thought about spoilers until someone yelled at me in a comment. It’s that kind of day.

It probably will & I deeply apologize. I never even thought about spoilers until someone yelled at me in a comment. It’s that kind of day.
No worries, stuff happens, and thanks, Takoma.

No worries, stuff happens, and thanks, Takoma.
I’m so thick sometimes. Why put spoilers when I could just delete my post. Duh. Just deleted it now.

Once again, so very sorry.

I’m so thick sometimes. Why put spoilers when I could just delete my post. Duh. Just deleted it now.

Once again, so very sorry.
It happens! One time I didn't close a spoiler tag correctly and it left a huge plot twist just out in the open in a review that I wrote.

I think your question was a good one for discussion and didn't need to be deleted, it just needed those tags for those who haven't seen the film yet.

It happens! One time I didn't close a spoiler tag correctly and it left a huge plot twist just out in the open in a review that I wrote.

I think your question was a good one for discussion and didn't need to be deleted, it just needed those tags for those who haven't seen the film yet.
It just seems that nobody ever mentions the ending.

BTW, your essay is excellent.

Thank god you saw I didn’t put spoilers.

Ok, I am out of this thread for the remainder of the day before I get into any more trouble.

It just seems that nobody ever mentions the ending.
The ending is something I need to ponder a bit on my next viewing. On one hand,
WARNING: spoilers below
I don't like that it feels a bit like the film submitting to "make something happen!". Obviously most women in Jeanne's situation don't commit violence/murder, they just carry on and carry on until they can't. But I think that the ending is also powerful because it reflects just how ground down Jeanne is by her life, and more specifically by the people (mainly men) who take and take from her.

At the same time, like I said, it's something that weirdly doesn't really come to mind when I think about the movie. And I think that says something kind of interesting. Because a literal killing sticks with me less than the ruined potatoes.

BTW, your essay is excellent.
Thank you!

Thank god you saw I didn’t put spoilers.

Ok, I am out of this thread for the remainder of the day before I get into any more trouble.
Again, I think it's fine. We've all had films spoiled---accidentally or on purpose---and yet we find a way to survive! It's not like you maliciously revealed a spoiler to intentionally ruin someone's day.

I knew about the ending going into the film as well, and I still loved it. I don't think it's the point of the film, so I hope you'll still check it out someday.

I knew about the ending going into the film as well, and I still loved it. I don't think it's the point of the film, so I hope you'll still check it out someday.
Takoma reassurance + SpelingError reassurance = Remains on watchlist.

Takoma reassurance + SpelingError reassurance = Remains on watchlist.
Also, this is a massive spoiler, but there's a scene of a woman doing chores in the film.