Baldwin's "Rust" Trial Dismissed

Tools    

I think we have an earlier thread on this topic. I agree that this is surprising, but I do think he had a very low probability of being convicted. I think I predicted that he would not be convicted of this on the board, and the likelihood of conviction went down dramatically when the judge ruled earlier this week that his role as a producer was irrelevant to the case and that evidence on that could not be considered. That left his role as an actor as the sole role of responsibility, and it also made it so that all of the evidence about safety issues, lax security, and the misfiring guns previously, which Baldwin as a producer likely would have known about, would not be admissible. Also, the armorer was already convicted of this crime and sentenced to 18 months in prison, and the jury may have felt the most responsible party had already been held accountable. I would have liked to see this go to a verdict though, as we'll never know now what would have happened.

Trouble with a capital "T"
It was a witch hunt by a red state against an actor they hate for his lampooning of their demigod. I'm glad the case was dismissed with prejudice due to the state not acting in good faith by withholding evidence from the defense.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...hlight=Baldwin

@Yoda closed the thread

It was a dirty case from the start if anything this screws over Baldwin's reputation because so much of the BS isn't going to see the light of day
He was negligent with a firearm and killed a woman. His reputation deserves the hit.

The trick is not minding
It was a witch hunt by a red state against an actor they hate for his lampooning of their demigod. I'm glad the case was dismissed with prejudice due to the state not acting in good faith by withholding evidence from the defense.
I have no personal feelings on Baldwin but to clear this up….. It wasn’t a witch hunt. They didn’t imagine a crime had been committed. It wasn’t conjured up out of thin air. It was negligent manslaughter, and they were looking to hold him accountable as he had held the gun. The question had became about whether he knew it was loaded and who loaded it before hand? It had been said they had checked beforehand, but obviously they were either stupid or lying (it’s been said you could tell a live round from a dummy round)

There were allegations of (unconfirmed) sabotage by disgruntled former employees.

There were so many ways this could have been avoided. The saddest part of it all is there was an actual victim and she may never get any kind of Justice for her needles death, because the people who should have been looking out for her, hadn’t.

Everything that came out in the Guiterrez-Reed trial basically exonerated Baldwin. The idea that Baldwin should have done this or could have done that and this accident wouldn't have happened is absurd in contrast to the armorers actions. She had live rounds mixed with fake ones, she didn't dispose of the rounds between shoots, she was on cocaine during the shoot, she had another incident on her other production. I wouldn't be shocked if the prosecutors didn't throw the casebecause losing on a technicality in the middle of summer then actually trying to push this garbage case.

Two other prosecutors dumped the case which cause the Brady violation which ended the trial. This was a dirty political prosecution and they got away with it. A woman who should be in jail 20 years got 2 so that DA could run on prosecuting a celebrity.

A woman who should be in jail 20 years got 2 so that DA could run on prosecuting a celebrity.
I appreciate your passion on this, and thanks for contributing, but before you express a legal opinion on the appropriateness of the length of the sentencing, you should verify that you know what you are talking about. The maximum penalty for involuntary manslaughter in the state of New Mexico, the crime Reed was charged with and convicted of, and which best fit what she did, is 18 months, which is what she received, so there was zero possibility, regardless of the circumstances, that she would have, or could have, been sentenced to 20 years in prison for this crime.

I appreciate your passion on this, and thanks for contributing, but before you express a legal opinion on the appropriateness of the length of the sentencing, you should verify that you know what you are talking about. The maximum penalty for involuntary manslaughter in the state of New Mexico, the crime Reed was charged with and convicted of, and which best fit what she did, is 18 months, which is what she received, so there was zero possibility, regardless of the circumstances, that she would have, or could have, been sentenced to 20 years in prison for this crime.

They undercharged her with involuntary manslaughter...for the first time in criminal justice history they decided to ignore the fact that she was on drugs and handling firearms!

You or I would have gotten a Murder 2 charge for that...but because this was politically motivated case Hannah was given a light sentence. And hey wouldn't you just be shocked to notice right after her conviction the ammunition turned up.

This was a dirty case from the jump...and victim got screwed over royally.

I'm curious now if Baldwin might be recharged with something else---as one of the producers. I'm no legal expert, but I could foresee him getting in trouble for presiding over an unsafe work environment.

Trouble with a capital "T"
I'm curious now if Baldwin might be recharged with something else---as one of the producers. I'm no legal expert, but I could foresee him getting in trouble for presiding over an unsafe work environment.
The case was dismissed by the judge with prejudice meaning Baldwin can't be retried for the death of Halyna Hutchins. He is still facing civil charges from the incident.

The link below is the best news article I've seen that explains procedural mistakes made by law enforcement and the prosecution team.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...nduct-evidence

The case was dismissed by the judge with prejudice meaning Baldwin can't be retried for the death of Halyna Hutchins. He is still facing civil charges from the incident.

The link below is the best news article I've seen that explains procedural mistakes made by law enforcement and the prosecution team.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...nduct-evidence
I've been watching a lot of this through Court TV, but I don't recall them mentioning the civil trials (though I do remember it in hindsight, now).