Movies You Like w/ No Likable Characters?

Tools    

Gone With the Wind: Except for maybe some background characters, I didn't find anyone likeable among the major leads - seemed like a story about self-centered & greedy people.

Fame: I was kind of expecting to like everyone (and there were a couple characters I felt pity for), but almost all the kids turned me off in one way or another. Talented? Obviously. Likeable? No. The movie made me feel like that was a school I was thankful I didn't go to.

I agree with others here who posted Glengarry Glen Ross. Great story with completely unlikable characters.

In what way?

Gone With the Wind: Except for maybe some background characters, I didn't find anyone likeable among the major leads - seemed like a story about self-centered & greedy people.
I love Scarlett. She made the movie for me.

I love Scarlett. She made the movie for me.
But she was a nasty b**ch who only thought about herself and used other people to get what she wanted. Even when she apparently did good, it was just vitue signaling to build up her own reputation.

Of course we love nasty characters like that (it reminds us of the darker parts of ourselves and makes for dramatic intrigue). But I interpret "likeable" as someone I'd like to spend time with, talk with, relax with or travel with... I wouldn't want to be involved with Scarlet.

But she was a nasty b**ch who only thought about herself and used other people to get what she wanted. Even when she apparently did good, it was just vitue signaling to build up her own reputation.

Of course we love nasty characters like that (it reminds us of the darker parts of ourselves and makes for dramatic intrigue). But I interpret "likeable" as someone I'd like to spend time with, talk with, relax with or travel with... I wouldn't want to be involved with Scarlet.
I completely agree! But they are the best characters in romantic fiction (which I largely detest, but classics are classics). Scarlet has got nothing on Catherine Earnshaw, imo. Now that’s a regular See-You-Next-Tuesday.

I was just being polite there… maybe needlessly.

But hey, I don’t mind, I like seeing old threads, personally.
I think the amount of threads which have been bumped over the past couple days is excessive. I understand bumping a couple at a time to reignite some discussion, but if you're going to bump a few dozen of them, discussion on them will die out pretty quickly. This forum isn't big enough to keep a few dozen discussions active at the same time (in addition to the current threads we have open).

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I saw "Gone With The Wind" a long time ago, and don't remember liking anyone, but I remember not liking the movie at all but I've been thinking about giving it a chance 20 years later, although I'm tired of "classics" or the traditional movie, especially since I've already seen many of them already.

Me too. Scarlett, now that's a woman!

I think Scarlett was kind of an iconic archetype for every "vixen" character on every soap opera that came after Gone With The Wind from Erica Kane (Susan Lucci) to Alexis Colby (Joan Collins).

The Bib-iest of Nickels
At first glance, it is easy to see how this could become an argument of semantics, asking oneself whether a character feels likable can be tricky. One of the most likable characters in the horror genre is Freddy Krueger, because he is so charismatic and over-the-top at the best of the times, even in his worst movies, it is difficult not to like him.

At second glance, the idea of a film with no likable characters, i.e. characters with traits so bad it would immediately disqualify them as people? I thought of I Saw the Devil, where a man out for revenge tortures a serial killer, but, by the end, his revenge allowed a lot of bad stuff to happen.

Me too. Scarlett, now that's a woman!
Love her. A strong woman who saw what needed to be done to survive & did it.