The MoFo Musicals Countdown - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Trouble with a capital "T"
I don't think anyone has mentioned this movie yet, but it's a fun holiday musical.

Spirited (2022) is a modern satire of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" starring Ryan Reynolds and Will Ferrell.
I'm bettin' that one won't make the countdown I like Will Ferrell but it seems no one else here does. But I'm glad you mentioned that film cause come Christmas next I want to watch it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I don't think anyone has mentioned this movie yet, but it's a fun holiday musical.

Spirited (2022) is a modern satire of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" starring Ryan Reynolds and Will Ferrell.

I'm bettin' that one won't make the countdown I like Will Ferrell but it seems no one else here does. But I'm glad you mentioned that film cause come Christmas next I want to watch it.

You can include me in the people who don't like Will Ferrell, but I still loved Spirited (2022). It's a fun twist on the original story with some great songs.

Even the people who don't like Will Ferrell should give this a chance. You might be pleasantly surprised.

@Thursday Next, I think I know the answer to this question, but I'm asking just in case I'm wrong.

Are the TV adaptions of musicals eligible? (Mainly the ones from back in the 1950s, but there have been a few recent ones too.)

Some examples:

Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella (1957) starring Julie Andrews
Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella (1965) starring Leslie Ann Warren
Peter Pan starring Mary Martin
Annie Get Your Gun starring Mary Martin and John Raitt
The Sound of Music Live! (2013) starring Carrie Underwood
Grease Live! (2016) starring Aaron Tveit, Julianne Hough, and Vanessa Hudgens

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Good question. I think TV movies usually aren't eligible for these countdowns (but what even is a 'tv movie' in the age of netflix...). Not having seen any of the ones you suggested, I don't know if they are more like movies that happened to be on TV or more like filmed stage shows (which are definitely not eligible).

Good question. I think TV movies usually aren't eligible for these countdowns (but what even is a 'tv movie' in the age of netflix...). Not having seen any of the ones you suggested, I don't know if they are more like movies that happened to be on TV or more like filmed stage shows (which are definitely not eligible).
These are filmed stage shows, but they were specifically filmed live for TV, not shows that were filmed and then later shown on TV.

I didn't think they were eligible, but someone mentioned Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella (1957) starring Julie Andrews in a different thread, so I just wanted to verify that I was remembering the rules correctly.

Thanks.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Just a reminder that the deadline is 3 weeks tomorrow!

We currently have 5 submitted lists. More would be great! Partial lists are accepted if you can't think of a full list of 25.

Just a reminder that the deadline is 3 weeks tomorrow!

We currently have 5 submitted lists. More would be great! Partial lists are accepted if you can't think of a full list of 25.
That's 21 more musicals I can watch...Ah, probably more like 19 I hate waiting to the last moment as I don't want to have a computer problem taking me offline.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
I submitted. I enjoyed prepping for this, but did end up a little burnt out. Understandable for me because I even got burnt out on Noir when semi-binging them, and that’s a genre I enjoy much much more. I ended up doing around 45 new watches for this. 3 made my list. I also had a very notable rewatch make my list that wasn’t on it initially.

Looking forward to list proper. Probably still try and watch a few things as we go. I expect this to be one of my lowest % watched in a while. Horror is probably the only genre I have seen less of.

#JusticeForHamilton

I submitted. I enjoyed prepping for this, but did end up a little burnt out. Understandable for me because I even got burnt out on Noir when semi-binging them, and that’s a genre I enjoy much much more. I ended up doing around 45 new watches for this. 3 made my list. I also had a very notable rewatch make my list that wasn’t on it initially.
45 musicals watched in prep is a pretty good run. What do you usually watch when not doing countdowns? Just curious.
Horror is probably the only genre I have seen less of.
Me too, that an animation are my least watched.

45 musicals watched in prep is a pretty good run. What do you usually watch when not doing countdowns? Just curious.
It’s a mixture. Always trying to fill in blind spots. I use the mofo lists for that often. I end up going down director trails pretty regular, if I find a director I love my brain wants to consume it all. Criterion Channel is nicely curated, and they almost always have a couple bundles I am interested in. I try to stay current with the stuff that interests me too. So depending on the time of year that can usually eat up a watch or two a week. This year it really doesn’t feel like there has been as many new releases that interest me, which has been a bummer.

It’s a mixture. Always trying to fill in blind spots. I use the mofo lists for that often. I end up going down director trails pretty regular, if I find a director I love my brain wants to consume it all. Criterion Channel is nicely curated, and they almost always have a couple bundles I am interested in. I try to stay current with the stuff that interests me too. So depending on the time of year that can usually eat up a watch or two a week. This year it really doesn’t feel like there has been as many new releases that interest me, which has been a bummer.
That sounds like a solid way to discover all sorts of neat films. I started out the musical watch period not watching many musicals, now I find myself 'cramming for the test' so to say. I'll probably switch gears after I send in my voting ballot....still working on finishing Gregory Peck's filmography.

That sounds like a solid way to discover all sorts of neat films. I started out the musical watch period not watching many musicals, now I find myself 'cramming for the test' so to say. I'll probably switch gears after I send in my voting ballot....still working on finishing Gregory Peck's filmography.
I would love to do that for a few classic actors the way that you do. I try to stick to my services as much as I can though. I don’t like watching off my computer very much. If I mirror from my computer to my TV, I find the picture quality drops pretty significantly. Most of the free links seem to be more DVD quality too.

I say all that just to say it’s hard for me to watch some of those deep cuts for classic actors in the quality I would want. I have yet to run out of stuff to watch. I am guessing when I do I may do dome of that. Peck, Bogart, Davis, Brando, Hepburn. Those are a few I would love to watch everything from.

I'm currently at 83 movies watched/rewatched in prep for this, still have at least a dozen I want to get to including rewatches of some big favorites but I'm burning out really bad.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm currently at 83 movies watched/rewatched in prep for this, still have at least a dozen I want to get to including rewatches of some big favorites but I'm burning out really bad.
And you've liked maybe 5

I've switched to rewatching my favorites that I haven't seen in years. Sometimes I like them more, sometimes I've discovered I really didn't like them.

I would love to do that for a few classic actors the way that you do. I try to stick to my services as much as I can though. I don’t like watching off my computer very much. If I mirror from my computer to my TV, I find the picture quality drops pretty significantly. Most of the free links seem to be more DVD quality too.
That makes sense. I never watch a movie on my computer either. What I do is download with a VPN (of course) and load the .mp4 file onto a USB thumb drive and then stick into my USB port on my BluRay player. That way I can watch on my big TV. But yes a lot of old and obscure movies have crummy video quality. Often they've never been released on DVD/BluRay or streamed.

I say all that just to say it’s hard for me to watch some of those deep cuts for classic actors in the quality I would want. I have yet to run out of stuff to watch. I am guessing when I do I may do dome of that. Peck, Bogart, Davis, Brando, Hepburn. Those are a few I would love to watch everything from.
It takes time! Bette Davis has 124 acting credits, most are movies too. So at 1 of films a night, it would take 4 months of nothing but Bette! That's a lot!

It takes time! Bette Davis has 124 acting credits, most are movies too. So at 1 of films a night, it would take 4 months of nothing but Bette! That's a lot!

Hopefully watching Dark Victory sometime this week, just popped up on TCM. Have you seen Catered Affair? Really enjoyed that one a few months ago, I had never even heard of it. Borgnine and her together were great. He’s such a cool character actor.

Hopefully watching Dark Victory sometime this week, just popped up on TCM. Have you seen Catered Affair? Really enjoyed that one a few months ago, I had never even heard of it. Borgnine and her together were great. He’s such a cool character actor.
I loved Catered Affair, it's a good example of Bette Davis doing a different type of character than what I usually associate her with. Borgnine is usually really good in his films. I should look at his filmography for some 'hidden gems'.