The deadline for the Top Musicals list is coming up! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

Rank these British actors...

Tools    

...and name their best work, if you feel like it:

Daniel Day Lewis
Anthony Hopkins
Jeremy Irons
Ben Kingsley
Gary Oldman
Ralph Fiennes

Personally I struggle.
For me Daniel Day Lewis is comfortably ahead of the rest. I was amazed to realise it was him in Phantom Thread, so I'll go with that.

The rest I'm not that fussed about the order, but perhaps:

2. Hopkins did a fine job in The Remains of the Day.

3. Oldman can be great, but although some seem to think he was amazing in it, for me he kind of ruined Leon the Professional, by being a caricature. He was excellent in State of Grace.

4. Jeremy Irons. I'd forgotten Jeremy Irons. Hmm. Very good pauses. I don't know many of his films. Pause. One where he's looking out of a big window, whilst talking to someone who's in the room behind him.

5=. I like Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast.
5=. Ralph Fiennes. Don't know. In Bruges?

3. Oldman can be great, but although some seem to think he was amazing in it, for me he kind of ruined Leon the Professional, by being a caricature. He was excellent in State of Grace.

4. Jeremy Irons. I'd forgotten Jeremy Irons. Hmm. Very good pauses. I don't know many of his films. Pause. One where he's looking out of a big window, whilst talking to someone who's in the room behind him.

5=. I like Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast.
5=. Ralph Fiennes. Don't know. In Bruges?
As For Oldman in Leon; he played that role like a "big bad wolf", but I think it works more than fine in the context of a movie full of symbolic gesture and a childlike point of view.

A.F.Irons: Are you referring to this -very popular in certain circles- scene in Margin Call?

A.F. Fiennes: aren't you too big on Schindler's List? I think that one frequently is listed as one of the best villains in film history.

As For Oldman in Leon; he played that role like a "big bad wolf", but I think it works more than fine in the context of a movie full of symbolic gesture and a childlike point of view.

A.F.Irons: Are you referring to this -very popular in certain circles- scene in Margin Call?

A.F. Fiennes: aren't you too big on Schindler's List? I think that one frequently is listed as one of the best villains in film history.
haha. I was thinking of something 18th century! But I guess that works too!

...and name their best work, if you feel like it:

Daniel Day Lewis
Anthony Hopkins
Jeremy Irons
Ben Kingsley
Gary Oldman
Ralph Fiennes
Personal fave might be Benedict Cumberbatch. Fantastic voice for one thing.

I recently wrote about The Firm (1989 starring the Old man) in the "last movie you watched" thread and how I found it an interesting, if rough-around-the-edges "slice of life" kind of thing... and for whatever reason, I was thinking about Cumberbatch at times while watching it, that I wish he'd participate in a project like this; one that says something about the way some people live today... I love how older British actors seemed to say something about their class and society at the time (a concept that you might be tired of, if you're a Brit lol) through their work in a way that modern ones - at least those that I know of - don't really? I gotta relate to an actor on screen to call them a favorite... which I think the ones I posted have done in the past.

Like yeah I recognize Cumberbatch's voice, I just wish he'd give it to something more relatable than some dragon lol.

Loved him in The Imitation Game. Great performance.

Daniel Day Lewis - Conventional wisdom says he and Hopkins are at the top. But I've never especially been a fan (of Lewis). Gangs of New York
Anthony Hopkins - The Silence of the Lambs
Gary Oldman - Darkest Hour
Ben Kingsley - The Sopranos (guest appearance)
Jeremy Irons - Reversal of Fortune
Ralph Fiennes - Schindler's List