What makes a "Good" film, in your opinion?

Tools    

I'd say you're actually anti-pedagogical about it, which is to say you approach the issue the way I would if I were specifically trying to raise people's hackles into not agreeing with me.
I'm just opinionated. I'm not very interested in discussing my beliefs concerning cinema. I state them and expect people to either agree or disagree. This changes when it comes to individual films - I'm willing to change my mind on those much more fervently. But my actual beliefs about the purity of film watching are unshakeable.

How much can someone appreciate a film about love if they've never been in love? Or a film about grief if they've never lost someone?
Funny you mention this because I wish I never loved anybody and never lost anybody. This would make my appreciation of such films much purer, impartial, and impersonal. I think we're prone to overrate films that seem personal to us, that talk about things dear to us. A true cinephile (yes, again) would (ideally) never let themselves be influenced or swayed by that. A true cinephile would only take into account the purest cinematic. Of course, such a pure cinephile doesn't exist, so making this a requirement is too extreme even for me. Unfortunately, I just cannot pretend I haven't experienced life at this point, that I haven't loved, that I haven't felt grief, or even both at the same time: "Grief is love that has nowhere to go" to continue using quotes. I think it's easy for a film to make you cry if it talks about contemporary times and a romantic relationship similar to yours. It's impressive if a film makes you cry even though what is shown on the screen is not relatable to you.

Maybe. But I get suspicious when the thing someone thinks is most persuasive happens to be the easier thing. The thing that requires no empathy, or allows them to talk themselves up the most, or just generally requires the least of them.
I don't think my way is the most persuasive, but I think a little bit of gatekeeping is good from time to time.

Because it should be abundantly clear by now that the un-minced words sow pointless discord and hamstring the (ostensible?) goal of helping other people experience and appreciate the things you love.
My approach is if they're to love it, they will. If they're to not love it, they won't. All I have to do is put something in front of their eyes. If they're worthy, this should be enough.

If you ask why you don't watch more Asian cinema relative to other cinema, there's no reason not to also ask why you don't read more books instead of watching so many films.
Because I'm a cinephile, not a book lover. As to why I'm not a book lover, the answer is... I'm a cinephile. Technically, I COULD be both but I'd have to experience less of both worlds and therefore make my passion for film less intense. Maybe that'd be better for me all around, I'm not saying it wouldn't... But my original point was that I'm a cinephile, so I can watch films of a great variety, just like I could read books of a great variety if I was a bibliophile.

This is exactly the kind of kinder, more nuanced sentiment that probably would've helped the first reply land better, if it had been included.
See, I'm not as bad as I look.

And what makes you think that my taste in cinema hasn't changed or expanded at all?
It's not like I'm only watching a fixed list of favourite blockbusters over and over again.
I think my post is clear enough in that respect, but read it again because I said the contrary: precisely because taste in cinema is ever expanding the idea of barriers that are too strong to overcome is counterintuitive. That you choose to not watch Asian cinema at all, to me, is weird, because you are willing to challenge your taste and knowledge in areas that are probably far more elusive. You have more in common with modern Asian culture than with US' 30s culture.

My "problem" with Asian cinema (again, it was only mentioned as an example, not to make a big statement or anything)
I know! But it is interesting to discuss. Particularly the idea that Asian cinema -again, as a problematic whole- would be somehow too alien to confront. Which is something that genuinely puzzles me.

is indeed based on experience - not much, but enough to make me realise why it doesn't work for me.
I explained it and thought that would be the end of it. Ha!
I completely understand that those who are passionate about the subject feel that I'm missing out on something. And maybe I do and maybe I will give it another try some time, but never-ever on commando.
I'm not easily offended and all that raving and ranting doesn't impress me at all.

To be fair, I registered rather spontaneously without considering what or if something was required of me.
Maybe I figured that having a good taste for good films would go a long way (!) and I don't consider myself a LeBoyFraudeur.
Well duh, couple things off this wall of text.

1. Welcome to MovieForums!

2. Enjoy and watch what you want, you do not owe anything to anybody. But you are not an advocate of a cause and I am not either. We just disagree with random things we write in a forum xD