The deadline for the Top Musicals list is TOMORROW! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

Get me to watch your top musicals, but no promises

Tools    

Victim of The Night

New York, New York (1977)
Director: Martin Scorsese

I don't know if I've ever hated a movie more than New York, New York. It's flawed beyond belief and that's what happens when an acclaimed director makes a movie while high on drugs.
It's a pity because you can tell if Scorsese was working with his full brain he could've made one great film. There are some great shots that are both innovative while adding to the film's narrative. Liza Minnelli sparkles in the film. She looks great in her 1940s fashions and sings wonderfully. Liza brings alot of heart to the movie. But Robert DeNiro was all kinds of wrong in this film. It's apparent that Scorsese aloud DeNiro to have free reign with improvisation of his dialogue. The trouble with actors improvising without the watchful eye of a director to reel them in, is that actors tend to go on and on with their improvisation lines. Here scenes go way too long as DeNiro keeps using his trademark moody ranting and raving, which doesn't allow editing of the scenes, so scenes go on way too long. Even worse he ends up repeating the same things over and over, aka hamming it up.

I fully expected that by the end of the film DeNiro's deranged sociopath character who had controlled and abused his wife the entire time would kill her in the end over jealousy. Actually that would've made the film great as it would've been one helluva a dark musical and made sense of DeNiro's character. But that's not what the film was saying and the story is not about a sociopath abuser, which makes DeNiro's Raging Bull type character inappropriate for the film's story. If the director hadn't been wasted on cocaine he might have realized this.

Ugh. I've never seen this because I have always heard such negative things about it but now you've really turned me off to it and I'm no longer even curious.
(Also, I can only take DeNiro when he's used in certain ways and this sounds like he's allowed to just DeNiro the place out which I have no use for.)

Trouble with a capital "T"
Ugh. I've never seen this because I have always heard such negative things about it but now you've really turned me off to it and I'm no longer even curious.
(Also, I can only take DeNiro when he's used in certain ways and this sounds like he's allowed to just DeNiro the place out which I have no use for.)
Yup he's DeNiro supercharged. Liza's great, the music is great she sings beautifully, occasionally sounding like her mom but definitely has her own unique style.

Just thought of two more that I like that I don't think have been mentioned

Gypsy (1962) & Flower Drum Song (1961)...Two good ones! I watched Flower Drum Song awhile back when I was watching Nancy Kwan movies. I haven't seen Gypsy in a long time, I might be able to get to it before the Musical Countdown deadline but it's coming up fast in just about 2 weeks.

Victim of The Night

Oooh! I forgot about Gypsy. Thanks for reminding me.

Anchors Aweigh (1945)

Gene Kelly and his sidekick Frank Sinatra are sailors on a four day pass. They head to Hollywood where they're from and proceed to hook up with some dames. Instead they end up having to help a little runaway kid (Dean Stockwell) who wants to join the navy. That's when they meet and both fail for lovely Susan Abott (Kathryn Grayson). She works as an extra in Hollywood but really wants to be a singer. So what do the pair of sailors do? They lie to impress her, telling her they can arrange a meeting with an orchestra leader so she can have her big break.

Anchor's Aweigh is famous as Frank Sinatra's breakout role and for the movie where Gene Kelly dances with animated cartoon characters. It's very well shot, the musical choreography done by Kelly is excellent and Kathryn Grayson is both sweet and a talented operatic style singer. I enjoyed Pamela Briton (D.O.A and My Favorite Martian) as the girl from Brooklyn.
One of Gene Kelly's best movies and he made a lot of good ones. He's quite personable here, which no doubt pissed off Frank Sinatra who reportedly hated playing the sappy sidekick.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Anchors Aweigh (1945)

Gene Kelly and his sidekick Frank Sinatra are sailors on a four day pass. They head to Hollywood where they're from and proceed to hook up with some dames. Instead they end up having to help a little runaway kid (Dean Stockwell) who wants to join the navy. That's when they meet and both fail for lovely Susan Abott (Kathryn Grayson). She works as an extra in Hollywood but really wants to be a singer. So what do the pair of sailors do? They lie to impress her, telling her they can arrange a meeting with an orchestra leader so she can have her big break.

Anchor's Aweigh is famous as Frank Sinatra's breakout role and for the movie where Gene Kelly dances with animated cartoon characters. It's very well shot, the musical choreography done by Kelly is excellent and Kathryn Grayson is both sweet and a talented operatic style singer. I enjoyed Pamela Briton (D.O.A and My Favorite Martian) as the girl from Brooklyn.
One of Gene Kelly's best movies and he made a lot of good ones. He's quite personable here, which no doubt pissed off Frank Sinatra who reportedly hated playing the sappy sidekick.

Anchors Aweigh is a great movie. Dean Stockwell was adorable when he was a kid. (It's hard to believe that cute kid grew up to be Al on "Quantum Leap".)

Unfortunately, it will probably just miss my list. Gene Kelly has too many movies that I want to include, so unfortunately some of them have to get cut.

Have you seen the movie Cover Girl (1944) starring Gene Kelly and Rita Hayworth?

Anchors Aweigh is a great movie. Dean Stockwell was adorable when he was a kid. (It's hard to believe that cute kid grew up to be Al on "Quantum Leap".)

Unfortunately, it will probably just miss my list. Gene Kelly has too many movies that I want to include, so unfortunately some of them have to get cut.

Have you seen the movie Cover Girl (1944) starring Gene Kelly and Rita Hayworth?
I'm not sure if I've seen Cover Girl, but I do have it on my to watch list. Which of Gene Kelly films are you considering for your ballot? I'm guessing Singin' in the Rain and Brigadoon are two, are there any others? If so I might watch them before I send in my ballot.

I'm not sure if I've seen Cover Girl, but I do have it on my to watch list. Which of Gene Kelly films are you considering for your ballot? I'm guessing Singin' in the Rain and Brigadoon are two, are there any others? If so I might watch them before I send in my ballot.

These are the Gene Kelly movies that could make my list.

Obviously I'll have to cut some from my final list, but
the ones in green are probably locks for my list, and
the ones in red are strong possibilities to make my list (if I can find room for them.)

For Me and My Gal (1942)
Cover Girl (1944)
Anchors Aweigh (1945)
On the Town (1949)
Summer Stock (1950)
An American in Paris (1951)
Singin' in the Rain (1952)
Brigadoon (1954)
It's Always Fair Weather (1955)
Xanadu (1980)

These are the Gene Kelly movies that could make my list.

Obviously I'll have to cut some from my final list, but
the ones in green are probably locks for my list, and
the ones in red are strong possibilities to make my list (if I can find room for them.)

For Me and My Gal (1942)
Cover Girl (1944)
Anchors Aweigh (1945)
On the Town (1949)
Summer Stock (1950)
An American in Paris (1951)
Singin' in the Rain (1952)
Brigadoon (1954)
It's Always Fair Weather (1955)
Xanadu (1980)
Thanks GBG, I have some of those on my to watch list for my ballot. I hope I have time to get to them. I will rewatch Singin' in the Rain for sure.

Bye Bye Birdie (1963)

'A rock singer travels to a small Ohio town to make his farewell television performance and kiss his biggest fan before he is drafted into the Army.'

These days a lot of people wouldn't know that one of the biggest things to happen in America was when Elvis Presley was drafted into the army in 1958. In 1960 Elvis finished his two years of military service and in that same year the Broadway play Bye Bye Birdie was born.

The movie is a comic parody and stars a young Ann-Margret as the lucky girl from Ohio who's to be kissed on the Ed Sullivan show by Conrad Birdie (based on Elvis) before he goes off to the army. Ann-Margret scorches the screen and showed her talents as a fluid, sexy dancer, she sings nicely too. I enjoyed her performance and Paul Lynde's too. He's her cranky father who also wants to get on the Ed Sullivan show, he's funny as always but playing a different character than his Bewitched Uncle Arthur. Nice to see cameos by Ed Sullivan and John Daly of What's My Line fame.

I didn't care for Dick Van Dyke or Janet Leigh's storyline, they could've been cut from the movie and more time given to the teens and Kim's family (Paul Lynde and Mary LaRoche). Their storyline seemed like a different movie.

Some great choreography by Champion Grower who directed and choreographed the Broadway play.
+

Bye Bye Birdie (1963)

'A rock singer travels to a small Ohio town to make his farewell television performance and kiss his biggest fan before he is drafted into the Army.'

These days a lot of people wouldn't know that one of the biggest things to happen in America was when Elvis Presley was drafted into the army in 1958. In 1960 Elvis finished his two years of military service and in that same year the Broadway play Bye Bye Birdie was born.

The movie is a comic parody and stars a young Ann-Margret as the lucky girl from Ohio who's to be kissed on the Ed Sullivan show by Conrad Birdie (based on Elvis) before he goes off to the army. Ann-Margret scorches the screen and showed her talents as a fluid, sexy dancer, she sings nicely too. I enjoyed her performance and Paul Lynde's too. He's her cranky father who also wants to get on the Ed Sullivan show, he's funny as always but playing a different character than his Bewitched Uncle Arthur. Nice to see cameos by Ed Sullivan and John Daly of What's My Line fame.

I didn't care for Dick Van Dyke or Janet Leigh's storyline, they could've been cut from the movie and more time given to the teens and Kim's family (Paul Lynde and Mary LaRoche). Their storyline seemed like a different movie.

Some great choreography by Champion Grower who directed and choreographed the Broadway play.
+

I love Bye Bye Birdie, but I disagree about Dick Van Dyke and Janet Leigh's storyline. I like the way their storyline kind of parallels the teenagers' storyline. Both couples are in love, but they're being blocked by a third person, (Albert's mother for the adults, and Conrad Birdie for the teenagers). Plus, "Put on a Happy Face" is one of my favorite songs in the movie.

Alexander's Ragtime Band (1938)

Tyrone Power as a serious musician turned to playing ragtime music in bars. Alice Faye as a honky tonk singer who gets mixed up with the band and Tyrone and Don Ameche as well. A love triangle which also includes a young Ethel Merman. Fun to see these actors when they were so young.

Victim of The Night

Alexander's Ragtime Band (1938)

Tyrone Power as a serious musician turned to playing ragtime music in bars. Alice Faye as a honky tonk singer who gets mixed up with the band and Tyrone and Don Ameche as well. A love triangle which also includes a young Ethel Merman. Fun to see these actors when they were so young.
Is this streaming somewhere? This captured my interest.

Victim of The Night
I love Bye Bye Birdie, but I disagree about Dick Van Dyke and Janet Leigh's storyline. I like the way their storyline kind of parallels the teenagers' storyline. Both couples are in love, but they're being blocked by a third person, (Albert's mother for the adults, and Conrad Birdie for the teenagers). Plus, "Put on a Happy Face" is one of my favorite songs in the movie.
I'm with you about the parallel romances, always liked that aspect of the production, stage or screen.

This captured my interest. Is this streaming somewhere?
Just in Russia I didn't stream it but I just checked and it doesn't seem to be available to stream at the moment.

Oklahoma! (1955)

Oklahoma!, one of my favorites and one of the more unusual of the Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals. It's both, a sweet love story of a young country girl (Shirley Jones) being courted by a cowboy (Gordon MacRae) and at the same time it contains one of the most psychologically violent and disturbing sub stories that I've seen in a mid 20th century musical. Rod Steiger plays a brooding farmhand who has fallen in love with young Laurey (Shirley Jones). We learn that at his last job a farm family had spurned him, making him feel like he was worthless, so he burnt the family up killing all of them in a horrible fire. In the movie Gordon MacRae visits his shack and taunts him to hang himself in a morbidly funny song. Steiger repays him by plotting to kill him...not the usual musical fare.

Gosh there are so many fine characters that are richly developed and played beautifully by the actors that I'd have to write way more than I want. So a quick shout out to Gloria Grahame as the comical Ado Annie the girl who just can't say no to the boys, love her character and the songs. Eddie Albert as a traveling foreign salesman is so funny in this. And hey it's that film noir guy again Gene Nelson dancing, didn't I just see him in another musical recently?

Oh, the dream sequence that Laurey (Shirley Jones) dreams...the first couple times I seen this I didn't care for it as it was so different than the rest of the film. But now on my fourth watch I've come to love the ballet styled dream sequence where other actors play the leads. I guess Jud Fry (Rod Steiger) is so plumb evil that he appears as himself even in the dream sequence.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I really need to see Oklahoma! before the deadline. I wonder how many titles with exclamation marks will make it. I predict more than any list so far...