The deadline for the Top Musicals list is TOMORROW! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

What's the Most Harmful Movie ever made?

Tools    

Trouble with a capital "T"
What's the Most Harmful Movie ever made. By harmful I mean movies like Birth of a Nation (1915) which gave a rebirth to the KKK and a raise in violence and racism causing real harm. The Nazi's made very harmful propaganda films, but I'm wondering what other fictional films caused real world harm like Birth of a Nation did?

Interesting question.

The Dark Knight Rises (2012) probably has to be the movie with the largest associated, real-life, body count.
But, of course, that had absolutely nothing to do with the film (it was most likely chosen by the shooter because it was a new-release at the time and would draw a large crowd).

I'd love to contribute to this thread, but as Jack Nicholson said "YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!" Not meaning you specifically CK but the masses and even the "high thinkers" aren't self aware enough to see or admit just how much drivel we eagerly swallow down for the sake of entertainment. If it's completely void of scruples, yet done with a creative twist all they do is say it's "art" like it excuses the glamorization of depravity. Plainly put, this is no longer a world of men.

I'd love to contribute to this thread, but as Jack Nicholson said "YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!" Not meaning you specifically CK but the masses and even the "high thinkers" aren't self aware enough to see or admit just how much drivel we eagerly swallow down for the sake of entertainment. If it's completely void of scruples, yet done with a creative twist all they do is say it's "art" like it excuses the glamorization of depravity. Plainly put, this is no longer a world of men.
CK Well I did get your name wrong last night so I guess that's fair

I can't guess at what the 'truth' is that you speak of, but if you can say it without being political it should be OK.

I'm not judging, just stating. I'm as guilty as anyone. I've adored many crime movies, sex films, hell Wall Street was an anthem for stockbrokers for years, Glengarry Glen Ross is a salespersons favorite film yet both focus on the dangers of their industries.
Sorry Citizen, I was thinking of Citizen Kane when abbreviating your name lol!

It's not like "a" movie can cause such widespread degeneration, but many over a period of time.

The Adventures of Milo and Otis (1986)

Oh whats that just a cute little movie about kitties and doggies doing stunts and having an adventure. Whats that you say...they acidently killed the lead animals....how manytimes....over a dozen for the kitties and puppers...

For the record, I just want to say that the movie The Dark Knight Rises was in no way harmful (at least no more than any other action movie with mild violence). It was only a psychopathic killer who turned one showing of the film into a nightmare for movie goers.

Jaws...I read once that after Jaws came out that people hated and feared sharks so much they killed them on sight. They even went as far as to go shark hunting as sharks were viewed as evil like the one in Jaws.

Jaws...I read once that after Jaws came out that people hated and feared sharks so much they killed them on sight. They even went as far as to go shark hunting as sharks were viewed as evil like the one in Jaws.
I was thinking of mentioning Jaws. I have no stats to offer, but it definitely influenced people's behavior as far as swimming in the ocean and going to the beach, etc. In that respect it probably had some small negative effect on tourist town's economies. (But then, we have to look at the other side of the issue - with less people wanting to swim in the ocean, home pool sales & community pool memberships may have gone up.)

It probably effected a lot of people mentally by creating phobias. (Although, I'm not sure I'd classify a fear of sharks WHILE swimming in their habitat as an "irrational" fear. I'm not given to irrational fears, yet I always had second thoughts about going into the ocean after seeing Jaws).

Jaws...I read once that after Jaws came out that people hated and feared sharks so much they killed them on sight.
I did that too, sort of .
Shortly after watching the film I encountered a shark and said "you....bitch!" and slapped the animal in the face.
But I feel like I'm not that sharkist person anymore.

I was thinking of mentioning Jaws. I have no stats to offer, but it definitely influenced people's behavior as far as swimming in the ocean and going to the beach, etc. In that respect it probably had some small negative effect on tourist town's economies. (But then, we have to look at the other side of the issue - with less people wanting to swim in the ocean, home pool sales & community pool memberships may have gone up.)

It probably effected a lot of people mentally by creating phobias. (Although, I'm not sure I'd classify a fear of sharks WHILE swimming in their habitat as an "irrational" fear. I'm not given to irrational fears, yet I always had second thoughts about going into the ocean after seeing Jaws).
I wonder if there are any films that have almost 'bankrupt' a community or business?

Triumph of the Will

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
The Twilight Zone got Vic Morrow and two children killed. John Landis' career never really recovered, and rightfully so.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

I did that too, sort of .
Shortly after watching the film I encountered a shark and said "you....bitch!" and slapped the animal in the face.
But I feel like I'm not that sharkist person anymore.
You didn't tell it to smile first?

I wonder if there are any films that have almost 'bankrupt' a community or business?
I wonder if home sales in Amityville, NY went up or down (or were unaffected) by the various Amityville Horror movies?

The Conqueror - it killed off almost half its cast and crew from radiation poisoning....

It is reportedly part of what drove Howard Hughes insane

The Happening It was just that bad.

Frozen and Titanic both had hit songs that were relentlessly played on the radio for months.

STAR WARS movies put a billion dollar dent in parents pocketbooks as it started a toy trend which could be the new foundation for Christmas itself.

Rust
Heaven's Gate