The deadline for the Top Musicals list is TOMORROW! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

The Resident Bitch Prepares for... the Most Recent MoFo Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Which one is your favorite? Honestly, "Money Cat Can" is the only one I really remember. Unless you count "Bubbles!! . . . . .Bubbles!!!!"

My favorite song from Gay Purr-ee is "Roses Red, Violets Blue".

Pete's Dragon
(Don Chaffey and Don Bluth, 1977)

I vaguely remember watching this a few times as a child and liking it quite a bit, but I have not seen it in many years. Watching it again tonight I’ve come to the conclusion that child me had really shitty taste in movies. (Yeah, I know adult me probably does too.) The songs were awful. The acting was awful. The story was stupid. And the combination of animation and live action was hardly seamless. If this movie didn’t have nostalgia on its side, I probably would’ve absolutely hated it. With nostalgia on its side, I only kind of hated it.

Pete's Dragon
(Don Chaffey and Don Bluth, 1977)

I vaguely remember watching this a few times as a child and liking it quite a bit, but I have not seen it in many years. Watching it again tonight I’ve come to the conclusion that child me had really shitty taste in movies. (Yeah, I know adult me probably does too.) The songs were awful. The acting was awful. The story was stupid. And the combination of animation and live action was hardly seamless. If this movie didn’t have nostalgia on its side, I probably would’ve absolutely hated it. With nostalgia on its side, I only kind of hated it.

I haven't seen Pete's Dragon since I was a kid, so I have it on my watchlist to rewatch it for the Musicals Countdown.

If it was anyone but you writing this review, I would remove it from my watchlist, but you haven't liked most of the musicals that you've watched, including some that are among my all-time favorites. Your review definitely lowered my expectations for it, but I'll probably still watch it anyway.

I haven't seen Pete's Dragon since I was a kid, so I have it on my watchlist to rewatch it for the Musicals Countdown.

If it was anyone but you writing this review, I would remove it from my watchlist, but you haven't liked most of the musicals that you've watched, including some that are among my all-time favorites. Your review definitely lowered my expectations for it, but I'll probably still watch it anyway.
Yeah, our tastes are pretty wildly different so definitely still give it a shot. My friend Funny Face still likes it and says she pretty regularly sings the songs to herself.

Robin Hood: Men In Tights
(Mel Brooks, 1993)

I have long had a soft spot for the story of Robin Hood and I’ve always liked this particular version, though it’s never been a huge favorite. After watching it again tonight, I think I like it a little less than I used to. The jokes are very dated and the humor often doesn’t land. Aside from a quick chuckle or two, I barely laughed. Still it was amusing enough and Cary Elwes looks pretty damn hot in it so I never got bored. As to the musical aspect, it does have three songs so it technically qualifies, but there’s no way this makes my ballot.

Robin Hood: Men In Tights
(Mel Brooks, 1993)

I have long had a soft spot for the story of Robin Hood and I’ve always liked this particular version, though it’s never been a huge favorite. After watching it again tonight, I think I like it a little less than I used to. The jokes are very dated and the humor often doesn’t land. Aside from a quick chuckle or two, I barely laughed. Still it was amusing enough and Cary Elwes looks pretty damn hot in it so I never got bored. As to the musical aspect, it does have three songs so it technically qualifies, but there’s no way this makes my ballot.

The only thing that made me laugh in this movie was the late Richard Lewis

Yeah, our tastes are pretty wildly different so definitely still give it a shot. My friend Funny Face still likes it and says she pretty regularly sings the songs to herself.

I watched Pete's Dragon today, and it wasn't as bad as your review made it sound, but it wasn't great either. It has a great cast, and I loved Helen Reddy and Jim Dale in it, but the movie was too childish. And with the exception of "Candle on the Water", (which I loved), most of the songs weren't very good.

I'm trying to watch some of the Disney animated musicals that I haven't seen yet. I've seen most of the older classic ones, and the well-known ones, but I've missed some of the lesser known ones, like The Rescuers, Tarzan, Hercules, Pocahontas, etc.

Are there any that you would recommend?
Or are there any other animated musicals that aren't Disney movies that you would recommend watching?

I'm trying to watch some of the Disney animated musicals that I haven't seen yet. I've seen most of the older classic ones, and the well-known ones, but I've missed some of the lesser known ones, like The Rescuers, Tarzan, Hercules, Pocahontas, etc.

Are there any that you would recommend?
Or are there any other animated musicals that aren't Disney movies that you would recommend watching?
My dislike of musicals extends to most animated musicals so it's hard to say. Have you watched Sing? It's not Disney. I don't think it's great but it is pretty fun and has a lot of singing. I won't be voting for it and my ballot is pretty much set, but it was one of the last to get cut.

Frozen
(Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee, 2013)

I watched this movie once or twice when it was still pretty new and I didn’t like it then. A decade or so later, I couldn’t quite remember why I didn’t like it. Against my better judgment, I decided to give it another watch. It turns out that what I didn’t like about it is just about everything. I don’t care for the story. The characters are annoying. The songs are annoying. The animation is pretty enough, but it doesn’t stand out as being anything special. Actually nothing about this movie stands out to me as being anything special. I cannot understand why the hell people love it so damn much.

I will say I don’t think it’s terrible, I just think it’s painfully unremarkable.

My dislike of musicals extends to most animated musicals so it's hard to say. Have you watched Sing? It's not Disney. I don't think it's great but it is pretty fun and has a lot of singing. I won't be voting for it and my ballot is pretty much set, but it was one of the last to get cut.

I knew that you didn't like Disney's princess movies, but I didn't realize that you didn't like most of the Disney musicals. I figured that you were the expert on the animated movies, but I guess I'll have to ask elsewhere for help with the animated musicals.

I recently watched both Sing and Sing 2, and I liked both movies. They're both in consideration for my list if I can find room for them. (My list is not nearly set, but it's very crowded, so I have to find reasons to cut movies, rather than reasons to include them.)

I will say I don’t think it’s terrible, I just think it’s painfully unremarkable.
Really, I think you just need to let it go.

I'm sorry. It's an affliction.

I knew that you didn't like Disney's princess movies, but I didn't realize that you didn't like most of the Disney musicals. I figured that you were the expert on the animated movies, but I guess I'll have to ask elsewhere for help with the animated musicals.
The only Disney animated musicals that are contenders for me are The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Jungle Book, and Alice in Wonderland. Oh and Coco, but that's Pixar.

If I hadn't gone through the trouble of watching all of these movies, I might've ended up voting for The Little Mermaid and Moana but they're definitely not in consideration now.

The only Disney animated musicals that are contenders for me are The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Jungle Book, and Alice in Wonderland. Oh and Coco, but that's Pixar.

If I hadn't gone through the trouble of watching all of these movies, I might've ended up voting for The Little Mermaid and Moana but they're definitely not in consideration now.

The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Jungle Book, Coco, The Little Mermaid and Moana are all being considered for my list. I'm hoping to fit at least two or three of them on it.

London Road
(Rufus Norris, 2015)

This might be the worst musical I’ve sat through yet for this countdown. The songs were truly awful - so many “ums,” “uhs,” and “likes” in song. Absolutely maddening. The acting was shit. The story was boring. I only even gave it a chance because Tom Hardy is in it and I love Tom Hardy, but his role lasts like two minutes. The movie is only 90 minutes long, but it sure felt like four hours. I kept checking the time hoping I was getting close to finishing only to find that it had been just a few minutes since the last time I checked.

Fame
(Alan Parker, 1980)

Not a lot to say about this one. It’s fine. There’s nothing wrong with it. I don’t have any complaints really (well maybe the length) but it’s not my kind of movie. I much prefer more intimate stories that focus on maybe two or three characters and really take the time to develop them. This movie just has too much going on - too many characters, too many stories, too much to follow, and I never felt like I knew any of these people well enough to care about them.

The Doors
(Oliver Stone, 1991)

I have really mixed emotions about this. I do like what I know of the music of The Doors, I think this is very well acted and it’s full of atmosphere, but holy shit is this movie over long, bloated, and meandering. Jim Morrison, at least as he is in this movie, is a completely insufferable space cadet and nearly 2 1/2 hours of his shit is too damn much.

Mary Poppins
(Robert Stevenson, 1964)

I know I saw this movie at some point in my childhood, but I don’t remember what I thought of it then. What I can say for sure though, is that as an adult I hate it. I simply do not have the patience for something so aggressively stupid and nauseatingly wholesome, especially when it lasts for nearly 2 1/2 hours. There is precisely nothing that I liked about this movie. I hated the songs, I hated the dancing, I hated the characters, I hated the story, I hated the costumes, and I really hated Dick Van Dyke’s obnoxious accent. I’m not even sure how I managed to trudge through the entire thing, but I certainly won’t ever be doing that again.

West Side Story
(Jerome Robbins and Robert Wise, 1961)

Why are so many musicals so damn long? My patience for this crap is short as it is and I might hate this stuff less if the creators of them had the decency to make them shorter. Of course, being shorter wouldn’t have saved this shit from me hating it. From the awful dancing to the awful songs to the stupid story to the incredibly not intimidating gangs (made up of a bunch of skinny clean cut looking white boys), to the obnoxious characters, to the shit fake Puerto Rican accents, to the even more shit obvious brown face, this thing amounted to a little more than 2 1/2 hours of a cringe inducing, torturously bad time.

I think I’ve found a new contender for my least favorite movie ever.

The Wizard of Oz
(Victor Fleming and King Vidor, 1939)

In which a dipshit teenager lets her little dog bite the neighbor, then flees to a far away land where she murders a woman, steals her shoes, then takes up with three strange men, gets high on opiates, and also kills the dead woman’s sister.

I can vaguely recall watching this a few times as a child and liking it well enough, then about 10 years ago, I watched it for the first time as an adult and absolutely hated it. Against my better judgment I decided to give it another try tonight. What is it that they say about insanity and doing the same thing over and over again?

I still hate the songs. I still hate the characters. I still hate the story. Though I’ll give it some credit for being mercifully under two hours.