Civil war movie where soldiers attempt to get cow

Tools    

The two armies see each other and prepare for battle but between them is a cow. Two horsemen put a white cloth in their bayonet and attempt to get the cow

I would guess 70s or early 80s

When you say "Civil War" do you mean "American Civil War"?

Yes American civil war

Alvarez Kelly involves moving a herd of cattle. It involves both Union and Confederate soldiers and seems to be the best fit.

Arizona also involves a cattle drive during the Civil War and William Holden again, but I don't think this is yours.

Apache Ambush involves a cattle drive after the Civil War, so no battles - just some former soldiers in uniforms.

No herd. Was just one cow. The two armies waited until one side got it and then fought

Could be: Cold Mountain (2003) ?

Somebody writes on the other forum:
Civil/Revolutionary War Movie where a cow wanders into the middle of the field before the climactic battle

I remember as a part of the battle one of the main characters found a friend who fought for the other side, or something like that. But the main thing is that both sides were trying to get a cow to come to their side of the lines before the battle started.

I thought it was Glory or Gettysburg at first but I don't think thats it.

I vaguely remember a similar scene from the play "Warhorse", except with a horse, not a cow. There is also a movie version of this, which I have not seen. But that was World War I, not American Civil War. But similar.

The two armies see each other and prepare for battle but between them is a cow. Two horsemen put a white cloth in their bayonet and attempt to get the cow

I would guess 70s or early 80s

Wasn't there a scene kinda like that in the beginning of the movie "Dances With Wolves"?