What Are You Reading Right Now?

Tools    

Psychopathic Psychiatrist
Right now I am actually reading this line of text i am typing.

Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Quarter way through it. So far it's delivering what all the reviews promised.

Vainajaiset by Marja Kyllönen

I haven't read that many new (or newish) Finnish books, but this one is by far the best-written Finnish prose I've read in ages. The writer has only published three books in 25 years, and this one was rejected by one publisher in 2006 before it was finally released by another in 2022.

It's a very poetic but dark and brutal story about young lovers and how their childlessness sours and rots their marriage, love, life, and even those around them. It freely flirts with mythology and horror, too.

I don't think it's been translated, and I think it would be extremely hard.

All I Did Was Shoot My Man by Walter Mosley. It's his fourth novel featuring Leonid McGill, a NYC private investigator but it's also my introduction to the character. I make it a point to always start a preexisting series with the introductory installment. It was a freebie so I decided to go ahead and try but it's too confusing. He keeps dropping names and mentioning side characters and I have no earthly idea who these people are. I'm even having trouble keeping track of all the players in this story. Maybe it's just one of his weaker efforts.

Fever House - If you like utilitarian gangster noir, paranoid conspiracists, the occult and black ops skullduggery then this is the book for you. Plus a dash of the Portland music scene and have it all told in an incisive and singular voice by author Keith Rosson. This book is a trip.

Getting away from thrillers at the moment and trying to find a good scare. I've only read one book by Ketchum and it was a rough one (fast paced but brutal). About halfway through this and it reminds me of The Hills Have Eyes if The Hills Have Eyes were set in Maine.

I'm reading 1984 and it feels so BORING.

Just started Walter Mosley's latest Easy Rawlins mystery, Farewell, Amethystine.

Reading this at the moment:

~An eye-opening investigation into the science, economics, history and production of ultra-processed food.

It's not you, it's the food.

We have entered a new 'age of eating' where most of our calories come from an entirely novel set of substances called Ultra-Processed Food, food which is industrially processed and designed and marketed to be addictive. But do we really know what it's doing to our bodies?

Join Chris in his travels through the world of food science and a UPF diet to discover what's really going on. Find out why exercise and willpower can't save us, and what UPF is really doing to our bodies, our health, our weight, and the planet (hint: nothing good).

For too long we've been told we just need to make different choices, when really we're living in a food environment that makes it nigh-on impossible. So this is a book about our rights. The right to know what we eat and what it does to our bodies and the right to good, affordable food.
~