MoFo Fantasy Football - 2024 Season

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
@Sedai
Why do you have Justin Tucker in your team picture?
Baker Mayfield outscored Lamar Jackson. Does this mean you'll be the Mayfield 11 now?
Haven't had a minute to put together a different avatar quite yet. Honestly, I am still focused on FBB! I will get around to it at some point.

I knew my strategy of taking all young receivers had the downside that it was likely going to be two or three weeks even for somebody incredibly talented to find their footing and place in the NFL. But wow, did my young gang of WRs struggle.

My RBs are solid. I expect Bijon Robinson to move up a level or two here in his second season. The refurbished Falcons did not look particularly impressive in Week 1 versus Pittsburgh's DEF, but even in the disappointing day Bijon managed over a hundred yards of combined offense including five receptions, for a respectable 13.60 which I will happily take as a TD-less floor. Assuming Atlanta will improve with Kirk Cousins, Bijon should have many higher Fantasy scores to come. Somebody who was very happy on Kirk's old team was Aaron Jones who go his first TD as a Viking in the dominant win over the hapless New York Football Giants, 109 combined yards to go with the rushing TD for 17.90. And in my FLEX spot was another runner, Arizona's James Conner, who had 88 combined yards, a rushing TD, and a 2-Point Conversion in the loss in Buffalo for another 17.80.

Obviously 49 points from my RBs is music to my ears! Unfortunately my QB & TE tandem in Detroit, Jared Goff & Sam LaPorta, both had rather flat first games in 2024, projected to reach a combined 34 points but they couldn't quite manage to reach 20 (13.38 for Goff and 6.50 for LaPorta) in the run-heavy OT victory over The Rams.

Those two lower scores may have sufficed if the receivers gave me anything to work with. Alas. Although Tank Dell actually led Houston in targets with nine it was new signee Stefon Diggs who got a couple scores, leaving Tank with an unremarkable fantasy line of three catches and an end-around run for only 7.40. Which was much better than the young rookie Marvin Harrison Jr. in his pro debut with the Cardinals who caught only one ball on three targets for four little yards and 0.90. The rookies on my bench would have fared no better: Colt Adonai Mitchell also caught only one pass, his for two yards, and Bear Rome Odunze one ball for eleven yards before leaving with a (hopefully minor) injury. I expect all four to do better in the coming weeks, but I need them to be better ASAP.

So I start out with the second-lowest score in the league, while Wide Right cruised to an easy victory behind Josh Allen's second-half heroics.

Let's see what happens in Week 2!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I drafted Jake Moody but dropped him for Jason Sanders late Saturday night. Sanders scored 10 points. Moody scored 26!!! I lost by 4. That's the difference in me being ranked dead f**king last right now versus fourth overall.

I also wish that I had waited another 24 hours before trading away Jordan Mason, but with Njoku suffering an injury, I needed a viable TE, so it seemed like a win/win at the time. The trade won't be a big deal if McCaffrey doesn't miss anymore time, but if this turns into a multi-week absence, or if he re-aggravates the injury later in the season, I might've just given away a potential league-winner based on how impressive Mason looked against the Jets.

I drafted Jake Moody but dropped him for Jason Sanders late Saturday night. Sanders scored 10 points. Moody scored 26!!! I lost by 4. That's the difference in me being ranked dead f**king last right now versus fourth overall.
Yep, I lost by six and my kicker was outscored by his kicker by 13. Kickers are dumb and bad.

I also wish that I had waited another 24 hours before trading away Jordan Mason, but with Njoku suffering an injury, I needed a viable TE, so it seemed like a win/win at the time. The trade won't be a big deal if McCaffrey doesn't miss anymore time, but if this turns into a multi-week absence, or if he re-aggravates the injury later in the season, I might've just given away a potential league-winner based on how impressive Mason looked against the Jets.

Yeah I didnt expect that either. It looks like he may be starting again now that the Niners know they can take their time and let CMC mend with no rush. Once he does though I wouldn't be surprised if San Fran goes with an RB committee going forward. It's the direction footballs going now. That will mean less monster point totals, and if so then random who will get it.

Hey Spaulding, you have no good reason to answer this but if you did would you start either Worthy or Williams over London? Asking for a friend!

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
Tua out with another concussion.
Over thinking keeping Buffalo D bit me in the rear end. Oh well.
I have them in another league and picked up Washington because they are playing the Giants. Really thought last night would be a shootout.

#JusticeForHamilton

The trick is not minding
I have them in another league and picked up Washington because they are playing the Giants. Really thought last night would be a shootout.
As did I. I thought Miami might even finally beat them, being a home game and all.

When I drafted, I would be the guy who would draft a kicker and defense after my first picks on offense were filled out, so like mid draft. This year since I auto'd (except for Kupp and Kelce) I decided to be fluid each week on both positions. Curious how it plays out. The "experts" say they are throwaway positions, but those same complain alot when those positions are the reasons they lose too.

When I drafted, I would be the guy who would draft a kicker and defense after my first picks on offense were filled out, so like mid draft. This year since I auto'd (except for Kupp and Kelce) I decided to be fluid each week on both positions. Curious how it plays out. The "experts" say they are throwaway positions, but those same complain alot when those positions are the reasons they lose too.
I think you can make a case for the right D. K, I definitely think waiting till the last round is the way to go. I often actually prefer K on bad teams because I expect those teams to settle for FG. Feel like the position is a coin flip most weeks.

The trick is not minding
I always wait until the last few rounds for a K and D. I can always find good value regardless. Even if I draft a dud at those positions, I can find someone worthwhile on the waiver wire.
They’re important obviously, but your skill positions are much more important and worth filling up first, including its depth.

Complaining about losing because of a kicker is arguably the only time it does make sense to complain, because it's the position involving the least skill in predicting outcomes from week to week.

It's specifically the confluence of a highly variable and unpredictable position with the random nature of the "matchup" (which is a misnomer) that creates the frustration.

They're not throwaway positions in the sense the points don't matter. They're throwaway positions in the sense that they have the lowest correlation of ADP to points.

CMC out again this week. Might head to IR. That trade is looking better and better.
I was actually glad I didn’t get the first pick this year. No way I could have not took him, but he’s one of those guys whose injury history always scares me.

Yeah, CMC is O.U.T. but thank the trading fairy that I got Jordan Mason right before his value skyrocketed.
On the other hand Kenneth Walker III hasn't practiced all week, and I don't have his handcuff. Instead I could play Miles Sanders or the Raiders Alexander Mattison. Antonio Gibson for the Pat's may be good. One day.
I guess the point is both my starting RBs are probably gonna be Out before Week 2.
How valuable are RBs in a 12 team FFB league? Priceless.

The trick is not minding
I was actually glad I didn’t get the first pick this year. No way I could have not took him, but he’s one of those guys whose injury history always scares me.
Absolutely, but that’s why depth is so important. Especially at RB. Getting his handcuff is so important. It’s tough, though, at that position because when it finally snakes back to you, your choices are limited and you definitely want some good WR to go along with him and hope maybe another RB (or 2) is available by the time rounds 4 and 5 snake back around to you.