The MoFo Musicals Countdown - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

Trouble with a capital "T"
Currently we have 194 different movies from 18 votes. Only 63 meet the criteria of having at least 25 points from at least two voters. I'd really like this to be a top 100 but we definitely need more ballot to make it work. Your vote really does count!
Like you I also wanted the Noir Countdown to be a full Top 100, so I did it and the #100 noir had 20 points, which was fine.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Like you I also wanted the Noir Countdown to be a full Top 100, so I did it and the #100 noir had 20 points, which was fine.

Yes, I suppose we can just have a lower points threshold!

Sorry guys. I'm gonna have to beg off this particular countdown. I don't, as a rule, go out of my way to watch musicals. I could probably, if pushed, name a few that I have watched and enjoyed but not nearly enough to put together a ballot. Sorry again.

Ok, a very small list of some favorite and/or obscure ones that I think are worth a watch...

Hallelujah (1929) - Far from perfect, but historically notable and one that has stuck with me.
Cabin in the Sky (1943) - One of my personal favorites, directed by Vincente Minnelli
Once (2007) - Fast-forward to another century, this is one that will likely rank very high on my list.
Once bored the hell out of me

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Sorry guys. I'm gonna have to beg off this particular countdown. I don't, as a rule, go out of my way to watch musicals. I could probably, if pushed, name a few that I have watched and enjoyed but not nearly enough to put together a ballot. Sorry again.

If you can make a list of at least 10 movies, you can submit a partial ballot.

If you can make a list of at least 10 movies, you can submit a partial ballot.
I was mistaken. I started researching and counting and came up with over 30 films categorized as musicals that I've watched and enjoyed over the years. Ballot sent.

Trouble with a capital "T"
I'm going to go against my own advice and wait to almost the last minute. I watched West Side Story (1961) tonight, and hoping to watch Funny Girl and then Cabaret before I submit my ballot. I did take the precaution of putting my ballot list on a USB drive just in case my 15 year old computer acts up.

Funny Face (1957)
The Muppet Movie (1979)
The Sound of Music (1965)
An American in Paris (1951)
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964)
Once (2007)
Fiddler on the Roof (1971)
Paint Your Wagon (1969)
Victor/Victoria (1982)

I plan to watch today Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

I've rewatched:

Everyone Says I Love You (1996) (probably my seventh rewatch, it's so enjoyable)
Singin' in the Rain (1952)
It's funny to me, but you watched two good musicals (that is to say I like them) then wasted your time watching a load of crap, some of which are great exponents of everything I hate about musicals. Especially those of the 50's and 60's.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
It's funny to me, but you watched two good musicals (that is to say I like them) then wasted your time watching a load of crap, some of which are great exponents of everything I hate about musicals. Especially those of the 50's and 60's.
Which two do you like?

My recommendations for lesser known/underseen musicals:
(all of these are tagged as musicals on imdb and have less than 1000 votes)

Ain't Misbehavin' (1955)
Rhythm on the River (1940)
Young People (1940)
Golden Eighties (1986)
Never Say Die (1939)
Grace Stirs Up Success (2015)
Zouzou (1934)
Bang Bang Baby (2014)
Just Around the Corner (1938)
The First Nudie Musical (1976)
I’ve never even heard of eight of these movies

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
An overnight influx of lists means we're now up to 26.

The current top film was running away with it but the last couple of lists saw the current second place film closing the gap. Every vote counts!

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Everyone Says I Love You and Singin' In The Rain. Although there's far too much dancing in the latter.
Hope you gave good amount of points to the former.

I made a quick list on Notepad and I realized I had way less musicals on my bag than I had thought of.

EDIT: I had intentions not to include Disney musicals, but I just might have to.