Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

I’m confused. I know she was the single performer on stage & fabulous reviews.

So now it’s being filmed?
I feel like I don’t even have the words, or the space here, to describe how incredible this production is. It is one of the best plays I have seen in my life (and it’s kind of funny because I don’t even like theatre all that much, compared to my family, obsessed with theatre, classical Russian productions, all that). It is utterly unique and even though I personally often have very mixed feelings on the subject matter and the ‘message’, it floored me.

Everyman cinemas (another highlight of my London life in the last five years; it really is a very different way of doing cinema) run a National Theatre Live series of plays. It’s a film of a live performance of the original production, but sleekly, professionally done (better than the stuff BBC and Channel 4 put out nowadays, for sure).

It makes me think of all those concert films I grew up watching with Barbra Streisand etc. These NT:L plays are spectacularly filmed, you forget that you’re not watching the play live. In my experience, you get the best of both worlds. None of the noise and shuffling and coughing (I’m very sensitive to noise; I’m well aware it’s a ‘me’ problem), but at the same time, the full force of the performance and the visuals and the much better sound.

I thought the National Theatre production of Good with David Tennant was also outstanding, I raved about it only marginally less than I’ve raved about Prima Facie since I first saw it.

Anyway: Prima Facie is a masterpiece. It is absolutely spectacular. It’s being performed now all over the place, including Serbia (that one surprised me!). It’s also really multi-faceted and you can interpret it as one barrister’s professional deformation character study as much as anything else.

I’d definitely check it out, even on YouTube or whenever you can get your hands on a performance in some shape or form. Or who knows, it might eventually come to the States, though I haven’t seen anything about that anywhere.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
We're into Episode 5 of an eight-episode Korean drama series, "A Shop for Killers," on Hulu. Just good fun, tense fight scenes, and enough plot complications to keep us binging.
Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain ... only straw. Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain? Scarecrow: I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they? Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

The Guy Who Sees Movies
This is so creepy...The Last Voyage of the Demeter. It's an expansion of the first chapter of the original book version of Dracula, where a ship (the Demeter) drifts into port with nobody alive on board, just a bunch of crates full of dirt. You know it ain't going to end well for the cast of this movie. It's how Dracula gets to England. This movie is really well done, with a good unknown cast and minimal FX. It's sad and tragic because you know how this will end and the drama doesn't flinch for a moment. Unfortunately, it was a bomb and lost money.

The Guy Who Sees Movies
Watching it for Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.
Oh yeah....that version. I recall seeing it for the Cushing/Lee cast and it was pretty good. My favorite was the 1939 version with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, but the later one was also good and added color.

There's 3 "Hounds" I have not seen.

https://www.imdb.com/find/?q=the%20h...&ref_=nv_sr_sm

In the mood for Miyazaki.. getting ready to crochet so I figured I hadn't seen it in a while.

Also bought a yarn bowl that looks like Calcifer from Howl's.