They just don't quit

Tools    

what exactly do they try to do?

what exactly do they try to do?
Post nonsense. Post nonsense with a link. Post nonsense with a link in the signature.

It varies based on how "smart" they are and how the various security measures hold up. The overwhelming majority of the time they don't manage to do anything significant. The most common use case is that they manage to sign up and put some spammy link in their profile "About" section and that's it.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
But your meme says the spambots are the good guys?!

darth yoda?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Post nonsense. Post nonsense with a link. Post nonsense with a link in the signature.

It varies based on how "smart" they are and how the various security measures hold up. The overwhelming majority of the time they don't manage to do anything significant. The most common use case is that they manage to sign up and put some spammy link in their profile "About" section and that's it.
what's the point, i wonder.

You know, for a site that's all about the exchange of ideas, I think we the users should get to decide if we want that sweet, sweet discount prescription medication.

You know, for a site that's all about the exchange of ideas, I think we the users should get to decide if we want that sweet, sweet discount prescription medication.
Playing devil's advocate?