Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Speaking of Morgan Freeman, just saw a movie he did with Florence Pugh

A Good Person (2023)

4 out of 5 stars She should be an even bigger star going forward. I'm glad she was able to work with him.

Speaking of Morgan Freeman, just saw a movie he did with Florence Pugh

A Good Person (2023)

4 out of 5 stars She should be an even bigger star going forward. I'm glad she was able to work with him.
This movie was pretty good...a link to my review:

https://www.movieforums.com/reviews/...od_person.html

6th Rewatch...This 1975 sequel to Funny Girl focuses on the years when Fanny Brice was a huge Ziegfeld star but the depression was having a disastrous effect on Broadway and led to her relationship with songwriter/showman Billy Rose (James Caan). The film features first rate production values and Streisand and Caan do generate some chemistry but the musical numbers feel rehashed from the first film. Never tire of that "Great Day" number and the 1975 Best Song nominee "How Lucky Can You Get?"

2nd Rewatch...This sequel to Meet the Parents finds Greg (Ben Stiller) on road trip with future father-in-law Jack Burns (Robert De Niro) to meet Greg's very unconventional parents (Dustin Hoffman, Barbra Streisand). The plot here is pretty much a rehash of the first film, but, if the truth be told, the film is effortlessly stolen by Hoffman playing Bernie Focker.

1st Rewatch...This sequel to Austin Powers International Man of Mystery is actually funnier than the first film. The film begins with Austin (Mike Meyers) discovering that his girlfriend from the first film (Elizabeth Hurley) and then finds himself in a battle with Dr. Evil, who has decided the way to defeat Austin is by stealing his mojo. This movie is hilarious and includes the introduction of a new Meyers character, Fat Bastard, though most of the laughs come from Verne Troyer as Mini Me and Seth green as Scott Evil. The appearance of Scott and his dad on Jerry Springer had me on the floor.

A system of cells interlinked
Come True

Burns, 2020

Another film recommended by Mr Minio, and another excellent recommendation, at that.

My wife and I had watched another film he recommended several months ago, The Empty Man, and we both loved it. Shortly after we saw that film, I told her about Come True, and that the same person had recommended the film, but she casually brushed it off after reading a short synopsis as something she wasn't really interested in. So it sort of fell off of our radar for a bit, even though every once in a while I would bring it up again, only to be rebuffed again. She had no solid reasoning other than "it doesn't look like something I would like."

My wife does this from time to time, with no logical reasoning, and she usually ends up liking whatever it is once she gets around to checking it out. Anyway, last night she is complaining there hasn't been a ton of good new horror films, so I just fire up the film and start it rolling. "We are watching Come True, or I am, and I hope you hang out to join me!"

Of course, she just absolutely loved this film. We both did! So now she is insisting I bug Mr Minio for a couple more horror recommendations.

Got a couple more for us, @Mr Minio?

The Critic

It is one of life's little ironies that The Critic wasn't really embraced by most of them.

Given the movie's cast, it's certainly possible to see why a lot of folks might have been expecting something with a little more horsepower under the engine.

The Critic is a slight but rather entertaining story about revenge gone wrong -- quite, quite wrong. Maybe the movie critics who've come out strongly against it simply couldn't stand a film that cast one of their colleagues in such a negative light?

The chief pleasure here is the wonderful cast of talented British actors: Ian McKellen, Gemma Arterton, Mark Strong, Lesley Manville and Romola Garai. It's also a movie with sparkly cinematography and some charming period detail.

Having said that, it's also the kind of movie that might have been perfectly at home going straight to streaming. I'm pretty lucky to have watched it at the cinema, but it certainly isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea for the price of admission.

If you watch it with somewhat tempered expectations, you might just dig it; and certainly McKellen fans shouldn't miss it.

The House on Sorority Row (1982)

Neat little horror, as you would expect, wrongdoing brings revenge! It moves at a swift pace though for effectively a claustrophobic film. Subjective I know but Kate McNeil is an absolute image!

The Lost Weekend - 1945

4 out of 5

I forgot the opening line.

By The cover art can be obtained from Movieposterdb.com., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=33866884

Massacre in Rome - (1973)

Again we see the Germans murder with officiousness rather than rage in Massacre in Rome, compiling something of an inverse Schindler's List after an SS Police Regiment are attacked by partisans. Revenge killings take place while, quite strangely, the Nazis don't actually go looking for the perpetrators. In the meantime Pope Pius XII hears about the revenge killings before they take place, and does nothing to stop it (the makers of this film - producer Carlo Ponti and director George P. Cosmatos were successfully prosecuted in Italy for making those claims.) The transfer of the version I watched looked and sounded better than I thought it would, and watching Richard Burton play a Nazi was a hoot, because it felt to me a strange bit of casting. There are no end credits to this - just a list of the names and occupations of the 335 victims (many of them had the misfortune to be sitting in jail, which is where many of the needed victims were hurriedly drawn from.) Father Pietro Antonelli (Marcello Mastroianni) is the voice of moral sense, while SS-Obersturmbannführer Herbert Kappler (Burton) pivots from a philosophizing lover of the Italians and Italy who wants to finish his service with a clean "I committed no crimes" record to someone determined to carry out the order he's given, driven by a need to uphold his sense of duty. Not historically accurate, but a decent movie regardless. The film's score was composed by Ennio Morricone, which got my hopes up a little too high.

6/10

Latest Review : Double Down (2005)

Another film recommended by Mr Minio, and another excellent recommendation, at that.
Wait, somebody is actually watching the films I recommend?

Anyway, last night she is complaining there hasn't been a ton of good new horror films, so I just fire up the film and start it rolling. "We are watching Come True, or I am, and I hope you hang out to join me!"
Wow, great assertiveness!

Of course, she just absolutely loved this film. We both did! So now she is insisting I bug Mr Minio for a couple more horror recommendations.
Tssk, tssk. Give you an inch and you'll take a yard.

Got a couple more for us, @Mr Minio?
Not sure what you've already seen, but here are some more horror recs:
Repulsion (1965)
Mandy (2018)
Inland Empire (2006)
鬼婆 [Onibaba] (1964)
곡성 [The Wailing] (2016)
Bliss (2019)
La casa dalle finestre che ridono [The House With Laughing Windows] (1976)
Dellamorte Dellamore [Cemetery Man] (1994)
Demon Seed (1977)
The Devils (1971)
The Lighthouse (2019)
Spalovač mrtvol [The Cremator] (1969)
Tenebre [Tenebrae] (1982)
Un tranquillo posto di campagna [A Quiet Place in the Country] (1968)
Vampyr (1932)
The Witch: A New-England Folktale (2015)
バンパイアハンターD [Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust] (2000)
藪の中の黒猫 [Kuroneko] (1968)
기담 [Epitaph] (2007)
헨젤과 그레텔 [Hansel & Gretel] (2007)
Angustia [Anguish] (1987)
The Call of Cthulhu (2005)
La casa lobo [The Wolf House] (2018)
Il demone di Laplace [The Laplace's Demon] (2017)
回路 [Pulse] (2001)
Tras el cristal [In a Glass Cage] (1986)
L' ultimo treno della notte [Night Train Murders] (1975)
भूत [Bhoot] (2003)
Possession (1981)
Il profumo della signora in nero [The Perfume of the Lady in Black] (1974)
The Lair of the White Worm (1988)
La maschera del demonio [Black Sunday] (1960)
Ghostwatch (1992)
Hardware (1990)
House of Usher [The Fall of the House of Usher] (1960)
The Innocents (1961)
Kill List (2011)

Thank you for taking the time to post these recs!

I've marked what I have seen so far in red...

Bliss looks cool; I will try to dig that one up next.

Not sure what you've already seen, but here are some more horror recs:
Repulsion (1965)
Mandy (2018)
Inland Empire (2006)
鬼婆 [Onibaba] (1964)

곡성 [The Wailing] (2016)
Bliss (2019)
La casa dalle finestre che ridono [The House With Laughing Windows] (1976)
Dellamorte Dellamore [Cemetery Man] (1994)
Demon Seed (1977)
The Devils (1971)
The Lighthouse (2019)
Spalovač mrtvol [The Cremator] (1969)
Tenebre [Tenebrae] (1982)
Un tranquillo posto di campagna [A Quiet Place in the Country] (1968)
Vampyr (1932)
The Witch: A New-England Folktale (2015)
バンパイアハンターD [Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust] (2000)
藪の中の黒猫 [Kuroneko] (1968)
기담 [Epitaph] (2007)
헨젤과 그레텔 [Hansel & Gretel] (2007)
Angustia [Anguish] (1987)
The Call of Cthulhu (2005)
La casa lobo [The Wolf House] (2018)
Il demone di Laplace [The Laplace's Demon] (2017)
回路 [Pulse] (2001)
Tras el cristal [In a Glass Cage] (1986)
L' ultimo treno della notte [Night Train Murders] (1975)
भूत [Bhoot] (2003)
Possession (1981)
Il profumo della signora in nero [The Perfume of the Lady in Black] (1974)
The Lair of the White Worm (1988)
La maschera del demonio [Black Sunday] (1960)

Ghostwatch (1992)
Hardware (1990)
House of Usher [The Fall of the House of Usher] (1960)
The Innocents (1961)
Kill List (2011)

Thank you for taking the time to post these recs!
Anytime, friend.

I've marked what I have seen so far in red...
You haven't seen Ghostwatch? It might be an essential Halloween viewing!

Bliss looks cool; I will try to dig that one up next.
It's orgone-oozing but vulgar. You've been warned.

Meanwhile:

Just a quick note that I am totally planning on cheating big time in the upcoming 31 horror in 31 days thread in the month of October. I know it is a paltry number of films to get into a whole month, but with a 5 year-old kid at the house, it is very difficult to find the time to get these types of films in. Last year, I found myself having to watch them in piece at lunch etc., which sort of ruins the entire experience, especially when horror is my wife's favorite genre and I am basically excluding her from the viewings that way. Anyway, I am going to include all the horror films we watch starting on Sept 16th like a big ol cheaty face!

On with the show:

Immaculate

Mohan, 2024

I had trouble rating this one. It is fairly well made and shot, and damned if I wasn't caught off guard by the tremendous acting skill displayed by Sidney Sweeney. I had no idea, really. But I kind of hated this film, especially the third act. Beneath it all, it's just another tired, tropey, I've seen it before and done better modern horror. Watch Rosemary's Baby instead.

Is Sydney Sweeney in Rosemary's Baby?

Cheating this way is fine. Usually people start Halloweeb marathons in October or watch horrors all November and then the moment they stop, they start Christmas time watching. I don't think those days matter that much unless you only want to watch one to three films of the kind on that special day and then wait until the next year which is very limiting but I can respect the continence if somebody can do that.

Lured, 1947

Sandra (Lucille Ball) is a disillusioned dancer who is alarmed when her good friend goes missing, suspected to be the latest victim of a serial killer luring women to their deaths with newspaper personal ads. The inspector on the case, Temple (Charles Coburn), realizes that Sandra would be a great resource to them and hires her. As Sandra responds to various personal ads, she finds herself in one precarious situation after another.

This is an involving, engaging thriller with a fantastic cast and very fun characters.

FULL REVIEW