Are there profile preferences on this site?

Tools    

New notifications go away after I click on it and I can't get them back unless I hit back. Is there a way for the notifications to stay?

mention and reputations are in the user panel

What hownos said: hit User CP and basically everything is saved there in one place or another. A few things right there on that page but most in sub-options in the left-hand column.

There's a lot of stuff, which is nice once you're familiar with it but slightly overwhelming at first, so feel free to ask more specific questions about finding X or Y.

Going from optionless/featureless MovieChat to here was an adjustment. But it didn't take very long. For those who have never been to MovieChat, they don't even have a search threads feature. Nor can images be posted. Bare-bones has its charms (easy to use) but once you get used to here...

Trouble with a capital "T"
There's a neat hidden trick for searching MoFo. If you click on the spy glass icon at the top of the page you get a search bar, which I'm sure everyone already knows.

The trick is if you don't type anything into that search bar and you hit enter on your keyboard, you will get MoFo's advanced search page which looks like this:

The advance search is really helpful for looking for post by a certain member, or for searching in a specific area of MoFo, or a specific time frame. Pay attention to selecting between Thread and Post search. A post search will bring in many more results. You can also put a phrase or movie title in quotes like, "Star Wars", so that the search finds that string of words, other wise you would find everything with the word Star and also the word Wars. Also you have to have a search word with four letters or more, three or less won't work.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2024-09-19 10-02-36.png
Views:	44
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	101016  

Yeah, by default the search in the header just searches thread titles, since most of the time that's what it'll be used for, just finding general topics.

Also, boo, I didn't realize that icon was misaligned in FF, guess I'll have to take a look at it.
It's my browser zoom setting which I have at 145%. The search icon looks normal on Firefox at 100% setting. I just have crummy vision

It's my browser zoom setting which I have at 145%. The search icon looks normal on Firefox at 100% setting. I just have crummy vision
Okay, cool. I mean if I did a better job it would scale with the zoom (within reason) but that's a mild relief.

Going from optionless/featureless MovieChat to here was an adjustment. But it didn't take very long. For those who have never been to MovieChat, they don't even have a search threads feature. Nor can images be posted. Bare-bones has its charms (easy to use) but once you get used to here...
you can do more with less here.

Test reply. And hi samoanjoes.

mention and reputations are in the user panel
Found it.

Hey. I didn't get a notification for this so I'm not exactly sure if we're only supposed to get it if we're quoted.

I just need to get used to how replies work. If someone replies to someone else in a thread, it doesn't nest like it does on MovieChat.

There's a neat hidden trick for searching MoFo. If you click on the spy glass icon at the top of the page you get a search bar, which I'm sure everyone already knows.

The trick is if you don't type anything into that search bar and you hit enter on your keyboard, you will get MoFo's advanced search page which looks like this:

The advance search is really helpful for looking for post by a certain member, or for searching in a specific area of MoFo, or a specific time frame. Pay attention to selecting between Thread and Post search. A post search will bring in many more results. You can also put a phrase or movie title in quotes like, "Star Wars", so that the search finds that string of words, other wise you would find everything with the word Star and also the word Wars. Also you have to have a search word with four letters or more, three or less won't work.
Noted.

I just need to get used to how replies work. If someone replies to someone else in a thread, it doesn't nest like it does on MovieChat.
Thank goodness we don't have nested threads, hate those BTW you didn't ask me but I'll answer anyway You only get a mention if someone quotes your post. Also you'll get a mention if someone uses the mention tag like this @samoanjoes

Right now I prefer nested/indented. That might change as I use this site more.

Tip: a person might not see what you are saying to them unless you reply to one of their posts or tag them in your post like this @Valerian @samoanjoes

P.S. Hi Valerian