Is Donnie Darko a classic?

Tools    

Yes, it's certainly a classic, but it's more of a cult classic. It didn't do well on release, largely because it came out right after 9/11.

And even with that in consideration, it can be very difficult to understand. It didn't really click for me until I watched the director's cut, and even though I like the original version better, it may be required viewing for everyone who enjoyed it but felt lost at the end.

I give it an "A".
The last few times I've watched it had been the director's cut, although I have just watched what I realised at some point was the original, for I guess the first time in 20 years or so. I'd always thought they nailed it with the director's cut, but I think I like the original even more.

Trouble with a capital "T"
I've only seen Donnie Darko once but thought it was well done and original. At least it's not a reboot or franchise movie. I'd recommend the theatrical cut.

Could you explain the ending @AgrippinaX?
Several realities at once or something?
For me it's more than a cult classic. I'd say it's an all time great movie personally. And that's from someone who doesn't even get the ending!! lol
Several realities — yes. But
WARNING: spoilers below
not exactly at once. There is a split of realities soon after the opening sequence. I think there will be different interpretations of the detail, but the overarching idea is that Donnie’s initial survival triggers a chain of events that would have, if unaltered, led to an apocalypse.

The universe where he survives is a changed, ‘wrong’ universe which is now on course for disaster. Donnie knows this much through his visions of Frank the Rabbit, hence his paranoia and increasing foreboding. More than that, because he was sleepwalking when the jet engine crashed into his bedroom and seeing Frank while sleepwalking, he probably feels that the fact he wasn’t in his room and didn’t die actively triggers the impending apocalypse, dooming everyone.

In this light, as the film progresses, he eventually chooses to sacrifice himself and die in the opening sequence, therefore saving the world. I don’t think the mechanics of how he’s able to go back and choose to die are explained. Or at least I never saw a clear explanation of that, having seen the film quite a few times. But as a lover of all manner of quantum physics films, the above perspective makes sense to me. I’m sure there are other ways to see it, though.

I do remember watching the film with my mother many years ago; she loved it but was certain Donnie lived in the end. She gets rather childishly upset at ‘sad’ endings so I never shared my interpretation. That goes to show people do have a different way of reading it.

not exactly at once. There is a split of realities soon after the opening sequence. I think there will be different interpretations of the detail, but overarching idea is that Donnie’s initial survival triggers a chain of events that would have, if unaltered, lead to an apocalypse.

The universe where he survives is a changed, ‘wrong’ universe which is now on course for disaster. Donnie knows this much through his visions of Frank the Rabbit, hence his paranoia and increasing foreboding. More than that, because he was sleepwalking when the jet engine crashed into his bedroom and seeing Frank while sleepwalking, he probably feels that the fact he wasn’t in his room and didn’t die actively triggers the impending apocalypse, dooming everyone.

In this light, as the film progresses, he eventually chooses to sacrifice himself and die in the opening sequence, therefore saving the world. I don’t think the mechanics of how he’s able to go back and choose to die are explained. Or at least I never saw a clear explanation of that, having seen the film quite a few times. But as a lover of all manner of quantum physics films, the above perspective makes sense to me. I’m sure there are other ways to see it, though.

I do remember watching the film with my mother many years ago; she loved it but was certain Donnie lived in the end. She gets rather childishly upset at ‘sad’ endings so I never shared my interpretation. That goes to show people do have a different way of reading it.
Hmm. That's interesting. Thanks very much.
I would put the lack of explanation for how this came about as something of a flaw in the movie, but most movies have flaws.
It doesn't stop me regarding it as a truly great movie. I'm glad that I understand it a bit better now. I enjoyed the experience so much I don't think I had even noticed that I didn't understand it lol.

Could you explain the ending @&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.movieforums.com/community/member.php?u=106300&quot; target=&quot;_blank&quot;&gt;AgrippinaX&lt;/a&gt;?&lt;br /&gt;<br />
Several realities at once or something? &lt;br /&gt;<br />
For me it's more than a cult classic. I'd say it's an all time great movie personally. And that's from someone who doesn't even get the ending!! lol
I know I'm not AgrippinaX, and I don't know everything the writer/ director has publically said, but I can give my interpretation:

As a whole, things are as they seem. Because of the jet engine from another timeline/universe crashing through (the original cause is never explained) their universe is going to collapse. I believe this is because there is no appropriate 'cause' to lead up to this effect.

Before I get started, let me say that the director's cut is also clear that the people he affected most during the 'collapsing time period' will remember some things that happened. That's why they wake up after he dies.

There appears to be a higher power that's trying to prevent the universe from collapsing. Donnie has the correct sort of mind to not only see the divine messenger (the rabbit), but is also willing to act on those messages.

What the universe needs is for Donnie to use his mental powers, that develop through the movie (allowing him to see potential paths through time) to move himself and the jet engine backwards through time. Unfortunately, this will kill him. The higher power needs to convince Donnie to do it anyway. He does, erasing everything that happened, BUT brought the universe the needed 'cause' in order to prevent reality from collapsing. This is hinted at through the old woman waiting for the letter. Donnie needs to be the one to send the letter, just as he needs to send the jet engine.

Now, what the director's cut shows is a lot of this is explained in the book he reads, the philosophy of time travel. It reveals that this sequence of events has happened several times before, and always ends with a person somehow causing their own deaths. One example is a man who makes an arrow, and is shot by the same arrow, but there's no shooter. He was the shooter, in the other timeline.

What's just a important is Donnie knows this. Donnie knows that in order to end this, he has to die. One of the reasons he laughs at the end is because he realized the higher power, sending him messages to follow, was setting him up. Not only do his actions lead to multiple people dying, they also show him that the world is genuinely better off without him. Everyone is happier.

His sister and mom won't be in the plane that explodes because they'll be grieving for him, and his sister won't be able to compete. Since his sister won't compete, the Asian girl will win the talent contest. The flood and arson won't happen, so the teacher won't lose her job. The self help guru will understand how wrong and terrible his addiction is, and hopefully get help and change. The psychiatrist will realize that not all people who have visions are crazy. Two innocent people will live.

And that's it, really. The higher power...well... they made him do it.

I thought the ending was confusing

It's also possible...

That there is no higher power. That everything he sees in the vision, including the rabbit, is his own subconscious mind trying to communicate with him.

It's possible that his subconscious mind already understands everything regarding time travel and the dimension collapsing, but can't communicate it in a way Donnie understands. The rabbit could simply represent the tragedy that's going to occur, as Donnie follows his chosen path through time.

In any case, it's very likely that at the beginning, when Donnie rode off on his bike in a trance, it's because he could subconsciously already perceive through time, and knew that the jet engine was coming.

I thought the ending was confusing

Your timing is immaculate.

not exactly at once. There is a split of realities soon after the opening sequence. I think there will be different interpretations of the detail, but the overarching idea is that Donnie’s initial survival triggers a chain of events that would have, if unaltered, led to an apocalypse.

That's a very good, and far more succinct explanation.

It's also possible...

That there is no higher power. That everything he sees in the vision, including the rabbit, is his own subconscious mind trying to communicate with him.

It's possible that his subconscious mind already understands everything regarding time travel and the dimension collapsing, but can't communicate it in a way Donnie understands. The rabbit could simply represent the tragedy that's going to occur, as Donnie follows his chosen path through time.

In any case, it's very likely that at the beginning, when Donnie rode off on his bike in a trance, it's because he could subconsciously already perceive through time, and knew that the jet engine was coming.
A lot of illuminating and thought provoking stuff in your comments.

So now we've got the plot sorted, how do we explain this:
-The complex puzzle that you are explaining, when combined with the fact that artistically and in terms of entertainment alone the movie is a great, means that put everything together and we have an outside contender here for possible greatest movie of all time
-The director would only make 2 other films in his career, which have ratings on Rotten Tomatoes of something like 40% and 20% respectively

How are these things mutually possible?

A lot of illuminating and thought provoking stuff in your comments.<br />
<br />
So now we've got the plot sorted, how do we explain this:<br />
-The complex puzzle that you are explaining, when combined with the fact that artistically and in terms of entertainment alone the movie is a great, means that put everything together and we have an outside contender here for possible greatest movie of all time<br />
-The director would only make 2 other films in his career, which have ratings on Rotten Tomatoes of something like 40% and 20% respectively<br />
<br />
How are these things mutually possible?
There are a few possibilities in these sort of situations.

1. Like with one hit wonders in music, and a few notable authors (Harper Lee, Mark Z. Danielewski), one movie/song/book encapsulated everything unique they had to say. They went back to create another hit and found that the creative well was now dry. All they could do was copy what they did already, or use whatever ideas they had left, even if they weren't nearly as good.

2. They might not know how to make good movies, and assembled one either by pure chance, or through the help of other people. The first Star Wars would've been terrible if Lucas's wife didn't edit it and generally advise him how to make it better.

3. They got super rich and famous, and simply lost theirspark.

4. They did their best work on drugs, and are now no longer on drugs.

5. The reverse of #4.

Just a few possibilities.