ROMA (2018)

→ in
Tools    

I have to agree. I saw this recently and while there's a lot of artistry to it, I wouldn't have guessed this was an Oscar favorite. Beautifully shot, with some absurdly powerful moments, but it's all pretty few and far between.

I can appreciate the minimalist slow cinema approach, but I don't know if it entirely worked here. Certainly not a bad film, it's too well-made even just technically, but my expectations were a good deal higher.
Have to agree here…the film is a visual feast but falls short as a complete motion picture experience

One of the things I find fascinating about Cuarón is that, even as he has grown exponentially as an artist, his visual sense has remained remarkably consistent. Consider the following shots from two of his Mexico movies:

This is Cuarón's version of "it's like poetry, it rhymes"

Many of the Oscar darlings of 2015-2022, to me anyways, were celebrated because they were politically fashionable. Maybe the Academy always went for that kind of decision making but it was something else to see it with my own eyes.

I did like bits in Roma but it was indeed massively overrated. Somebody had said around that time "it's a great art film if you haven't seen any art film." and that describes it possibly the best.

Many of the Oscar darlings of 2015-2022, to me anyways, were celebrated because they were politically fashionable. Maybe the Academy always went for that kind of decision making but it was something else to see it with my own eyes.

I did like bits in Roma but it was indeed massively overrated. Somebody had said around that time "it's a great art film if you haven't seen any art film." and that describes it possibly the best.
I've provisionally got it at number 8 in my revised all time list lol.
It swept me away!

I've provisionally got it at number 8 in my revised all time list lol.
It swept me away!
What a sin!