The MoFo Top 100 Musicals Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
It's here...

52 ballots
329 movies
More songs than you can shake a pair of jazz hands at

It's time to give them the old razzledazzle...Welcome to the MoFo Top 100 Musicals Countdown!

The list:

#100 - Cinderella (1965)
#99 - The Meaning of Life (1983)
#98 - tick...tick...BOOM! (2021)
#97 - Amadeus (1984)

A list of the participants:

Holden Pike
Nope 1172
Torgo
Allaby
Harry Lime
Seanc
Nyctc7
Lamb Eelyak
iluv2viddyfilms
Diehl40
Phoenix 74
Daniel M
Wigram
Dadglumbah
Exiler96
Frightened Inmate No. 2
Hey Fredrick
SawDuck
John-Connor
rauldc14
Gideon58
mrblond
Miss Vicky
John W Constantine
WHITBISSELL!
Robert the List
Wooley
Captain Steel
Steve Freeling
hownos
SpelingError
Fabulous
kgaard
Thief
Thursday Next
honeykid
Yoda
Citizen Rules
cricket
Little Ash
Keyser Corleone
beelzebubble
gbgoodies
sarahf
omnizoa
Funny Face
Diehl40
Wyldesyde19
Stillmellow
Takoma11
MovieMeditation
Siddon
Captain Spaulding

Thank you all for your patience while @Yoda gets things set up behind the scenes. But as you know, half the pleasure is in the antici...pation

Just as with the Noir list, a plea not to let the thread get too bogged down in arguments about our different definitions of what is and isn't a musical and appreciate the films that appear. I tried to keep the criteria as open as possible to allow for different interpretations. That said, there is one film on the list that technically doesn't fit the criteria of having songs. However, given the number of people who voted for it in good faith and the logistical difficulties of changing all of their votes, I've decided after much deliberation and consultation with others behind the scenes to let it stand.

Without further ado, I bring you the MoFo tradition of... The One Pointers. There are 18 of them, so bear with me...

One-Pointers

These are the films that were voted for by only one person, in last place on their ballot. I'll leave you to guess who picked them and/or reveal if you picked one yourself. Points if you guess which one was mine.

Part 1...

High School Musical 2

Neptune's Daughter

Leningrad Cowboys Go America

Red Psalm

Finian's Rainbow

Hallelujah

Part 2

The Gypsy Camp Vanishes Into the Blue

Joe's Apartment

The Magic Flute

Shock Treatment

Commentary The Musical

High Society

I don't even remember my ballot but somehow I feel it's natural, and I'm pretty excited for this anyway.

I don't even remember my ballot but somehow I feel it's natural, and I'm pretty excited for this anyway.
You should have a PM with your ballot in your inbox

Just as with the Noir list, a plea not to let the thread get too bogged down in arguments about our different definitions of what is and isn't a musical and appreciate the films that appear. I tried to keep the criteria as open as possible to allow for different interpretations. That said, there is one film on the list that technically doesn't fit the criteria of having songs. However, given the number of people who voted for it in good faith and the logistical difficulties of changing all of their votes, I've decided after much deliberation and consultation with others behind the scenes to let it stand.
Seconding this, particularly because the horse is very much out of the barn anyway.

Enjoy the list for what it is!

Part 2
Joe's Apartment
This was mine. It's one of those really stupid movies that I probably shouldn't like but always have anyway. Here's my review from a couple of weeks ago:

Joe's Apartment
(John Payson, 1996)

In 1996, MTV released their first movie - Joe’s Apartment, a feature length musical adaptation of a short of the same name that used to air on the channel. Featuring a hoard of cockroaches that talk, sing, and dance, the movie is stupid, crude, and disgusting… and I’d be lying if I said it didn’t appeal to 15-year-old me.

But I’d also be lying if I said it doesn’t appeal to 43-year-old me. Granted, I’m sure nostalgia has something to do with that, but I actually find the movie to be genuinely funny. I laughed several times which is more than can be said for a lot of comedies. I also liked the musical numbers and the film boasts some surprisingly good CGI. Now of course this is by no means any kind of masterpiece. It is a very stupid movie. But it’s fun. It’s also had a spot in my personal movie collection for many years and it will surely take a spot on my ballot as well.

Of the other one-pointers, I've seen A Week Away, The Brave Little Toaster, Muppet Treasure Island, The Forbidden Zone, and Rock and Rule. None of them were contenders for my ballot.

One-Pointers

These are the films that were voted for by only one person, in last place on their ballot. I'll leave you to guess who picked them and/or reveal if you picked one yourself. Points if you guess which one was mine.
I'm guessing Joe's Apartment was from... Vicky?