Halloween Horror Binge

Tools    

Every October I go on an out of control horror movie binge. I'm a horror movie fan in general, but for the binge I like to focus on horror movies I've never seen before. I've seen most of the classics and 80's slasher movie series already.

Does anyone have any lesser known horror films they'd like to recommend? As long as it's not too gross, I promise I will watch it.

And since you're here, I'll go ahead and recommend these for yourselves:

Cat People, The (1942)
Black Christmas (1974)
One Cut of the Dead (2017)
Us (2019)

@stillmellow

Are you into foreign horror? Non English speaking films?

Yes I am! Let the Right One In is one of my all time favorites.

Yes I am! Let the Right One In is one of my all time favorites.
Can I recommend a few?

Opstandelsen ( it's under Zombie Exorcism) on Tubitv
Vittra ( English Wither) on Tubitv
Skjult ( English Hidden) on Plex
Thale on Tubitv
Draug on Tubitv
Sennentuntsche on Tubitv

That's a start

When I watched them Tubitv wasn't available yet.

Can I recommend a few?

Opstandelsen ( it's under Zombie Exorcism) on Tubitv
Vittra ( English Wither) on Tubitv
Skjult ( English Hidden) on Plex
Thale on Tubitv
Draug on Tubitv
Sennentuntsche on Tubitv

That's a start

When I watched them Tubitv wasn't available yet.

Great! I'll start watching them at midnight tonight.

Great! I'll start watching them at midnight tonight.
I can recommend one that is just f'ked up, not really horror in my opinion. It is listed as horror online.

A God Without A Universe..its on Tubitv as well.

When I found out about it, it wasn't streaming anywhere but I was able to get my hands on a dvd copy.

I can recommend one that is just f'ked up, not really horror in my opinion. It is listed as horror online.

When I found out about it, it wasn't streaming anywhere but I was able to get my hands on a dvd copy.

Sounds interesting. I've got a little free time at the moment. I'll take a look right now, before October starts.

Victim of The Night
Very excited that you're binging for October. I'll be doing the same.
Obviously I don't know what you've seen and what you haven't nor what your tastes are but I'll be happy to help in any way I can if you haven't already seen all the ones I might recommend.

Oooooooookay, I had to stop watching that one. That's too dark and upsetting for me. I can take reasonable amounts, but that was way too much. Thank you for the recommendation though.

Some horror I really dig with fewer than 7000 votes on IMDb:

Butcher Baker Nightmare Maker (aka Night Warning)
Vampire Circus
Pin
In a Glass Cage
Amulet
Darker Than Night
God Told Me To
Visiting Hours
Scream of Fear
When a Stranger Calls Back
Arrebato
The Long Hair of Death
Lyle
Django Kill . . . If you live, shoot!
Mirror Mirror
Fascination
The Wolf House
Salvage (2006)

Now, a bit of a warning that In a Glass Cage has some heavy themes, including the sexual abuse/murder of children. But it's also really powerful, IMO.

Oooooooookay, I had to stop watching that one. That's too dark and upsetting for me. I can take reasonable amounts, but that was way too much. Thank you for the recommendation though.
Sorry if it was a bit ( or a lot) extreme. It's really f'kd up film. Some of the reviews I read, I had to laught and take a chance with it.

Vampire Circus
Pin
In a Glass Cage
Amulet
Darker Than Night
God Told Me To
Visiting Hours
Scream of Fear
Arrebato
The Long Hair of Death
Lyle
Mirror Mirror
Fascination
The Wolf House
Salvage (2006)

Now, a bit of a warning that In a Glass Cage has some heavy themes, including the sexual abuse/murder of children. But it's also really powerful, IMO.
And @stillmellow

I 2nd Tacoma rec of In A Glass Cage. It's one I have the dvd as well and watched it many moons ago.

I just thought about 2 more

Flćnset
When Animals Dream (on Plex)

Both films feature Lars Mikkelsen, Mads' brother.

Vampire Circus
Pin
In a Glass Cage
Amulet
Darker Than Night
God Told Me To
Visiting Hours
Scream of Fear
Arrebato
The Long Hair of Death
Lyle
Mirror Mirror
Fascination
The Wolf House
Salvage (2006)

Thank you for all the recommendations, I've actually only seem two of those. (Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker which was good, and God Told Me To, which was less good, but bizarre enough to hold my interest).

I'll update here as I watch them. Same to Moviegal's suggestions.

Random "God Told Me To" fact: the first killer, the sniper, was played by Andy Kaufman.

In a Glass Cage was very good. It's an extremely dark film (but not unwatchably so), extremely well filmed and performed. I think the scenes where the violence is implied/described works the best.

Some of the twists are predictable. And it's a little tough to believe that absolutely none of the crimes in the film (or leading up to this point) attracted the attention of the police, but who knows, it's ridiculous what Dahmer was able to get away with in real life.

What I liked most about the film, which wasn't apparent until the end
WARNING: spoilers below
is it wasn't really about Angelo becoming Klaus, but taking away all of Klaus's power, piece by piece, before killing him. Killing the boy in front of Klaus was effectively cuckholding him. Becoming Klaus was simply the natural conclusion of the process.

Sorry if it was a bit ( or a lot) extreme. It's really f'kd up film. Some of the reviews I read, I had to laught and take a chance with it.

We'll have to see if we can figure out my exact limit. Right now all we know is it's somewhere between:

In a Glass Cage (okay)

And

A God Without a Universe (not okay)

I'll be joining the horror binge from today as well.
I don't have recommendations rn but I will be stealing some of yours ^^

Where did you guys watch A God Without A Universe?

I'll be joining the horror binge from today as well.
I don't have recommendations rn but I will be stealing some of yours ^^

Where did you guys watch A God Without A Universe?

Tubi

In a Glass Cage was very good. It's an extremely dark film (but not unwatchably so), extremely well filmed and performed. I think the scenes where the violence is implied/described works the best.
I'm glad you liked it.

I really like what the movie has to say about the price of revenge, not just on the person taking revenge, but on the people caught in the crossfire. As much as movies glorify revenge---and as satisfying as it can be as a viewer to watch someone "get what they deserve"---there is something fundamentally dehumanizing about doing harm to someone else, even if it is justified.

I also think that it's visually really stunning with those blues that are both rich and cold.