the stranger

The Ten Commandments
The Cincinnati Kid
Soylent Green

The Ten Commandments
The Cincinnati Kid
Soylent Green
He died soon after filming Soylent Green

Speaking of "The Stranger" (1946) I still say Robinson's war-crimes detective was an inspiration for Peter Falk's "Columbo".

1. Both characters wore gray trench coats.
2. Both characters would seemingly depart before turning to ask a question about "one more thing."
3. Both would feign interest in trivial things (such as their target's collections) while these tangents were usually a pretense for uncovering clues or extracting information from the target to be used against them later.
4. Both invoked their (unseen) wives in their seeming ramblings with their targets.
5. A similarity and a difference: both characters smoked, but Robinson smoked a pipe, while Falk smoked cigars.

I don't believe any direct correlation has ever been stated or made, but these were similarities I observed when viewing The Stranger and feeling that Robinson's detective seemed somewhat familiar to me.

Speaking of "The Stranger" (1946) I still say Robinson's war-crimes detective was an inspiration for Peter Falk's "Columbo".

2. Both characters would seemingly depart before turning to ask a question about "one more thing."
3. Both would feign interest in trivial things (such as their target's collections) while these tangents were usually a pretense for uncovering clues or extracting information from the target to be used against them later.
4. Both invoked their (unseen) wives in their seeming ramblings with their targets.
5. A similarity and a difference: both characters smoked, but Robinson smoked a pipe, while Falk smoked cigars.

I don't believe any direct correlation has ever been stated or made, but these were similarities I observed when viewing The Stranger and feeling that Robinson's detective seemed somewhat familiar to me.
Roger Ebert claimed that Columbo's character was also influenced by Inspector Fichet from the French suspense-thriller film Les Diaboliques.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Soylent Green, Robinson gave one of the screens most heart felt and heart wrenching scenes I've ever witnessed...he really poured himself into his last scene in the movie. He's great in so many other things too.

Haven’t seen a lot of his work but I really liked him in Double Indemnity, House of Strangers, The Ten Commandments and I think he was robbed of an Oscar nomination for Soylent Green

Listening to William Link he and his writing partner were much more influenced by literature than movies (he cites Petrovich from Crime and Punishment here). As a Columbo fan I found your list interesting, of course.
FF to 10:15

Edit: Peter Falk was responsible for much of the character, I don't know he was influenced by The Stranger.

Key Largo
Double Indemnity
Soylent Green

I'm surprised he never won an Oscar.

Key Largo
Double Indemnity
Soylent Green

I'm surprised he never won an Oscar.
he was marginalised after being identified by authorities as allegedly having links to communism.

he was marginalised after being identified by authorities as allegedly having links to communism.
He should have gotten a nomination long before the Red Scare.