Halloween Horror Binge

Tools    

What if I go for decade?

1900s: A Panicky Picnic (1909)
1910s: Suspense. (1913)
1920s: The Monster (1925)
1930s: The 9th Guest (1934)
1940s: The Uninvited (1944)
1950s: The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953)
1960s: The Masque of the Red Death (1964)
1970s: Terror of Frankenstein (1977)
1980s: Angst (1983)
1990s: Storm of the Century (1999)
2000s: Pontypool (2008)
2010s: The Eyes of My Mother (2016)
2020s: The Wolf of Snow Hollow (2020)

Yes! More recommendations, more!

Storm of the Century is one of my favorite Stephen King movies! Colm Feore nails that part so well. All the acting in it is good, really.

I'm not sure why people rate it low. I thought it was really good claustrophobic horror.
In the last year, I've seen two found footage films that have had some extremely claustrophobic sequences (Blair Witch and The Borderlands). Don't know if I can stomach another one of those

Lesser known horror films I would recommend:

Bed of the Dead (2016)
The Curse of the Cat People (1944)
Devil Doll (1964)
Doctor X (1932)
Evils of the Night (1985)
The House on Sorority Row (1983)
Kaijû sôshingeki (1968)
Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (1973)
The Lure (2015)
The Maid (2005)
Massacre at Central High (1976)
Midnight Movie (2008)
Mikey (1992)
Naked Fear (2007)
Night of the Demon (1980)
The Shiver of the Vampires (1971)
Thirteen Women (1932)
Two Orphan Vampires (1997)
Theater of Blood (1973)
Tormented (1960)
You Better Watch Out (1980)

I've only seen four of those. The standout being Theater of Blood. Underrated gem. I'll add the rest to the list.

I remembered more Scandinavian horror

Cold Prey 1 & 2
Villmark
Lamb
Troll Hunter
Reykjavik Whale Watching Massacre
Mara (2013)
Lake Bodom
The Devil's Bride
Sauna
Euthanizer (I really don't consider it horror, but IMDB does)
Two Eyes Staring
Borgman
November
Amsterdamned
Border
The Monitor
Frostbitten
Bad Faith
Next Door
Frost
Alena

I'm sure there are several more if I continue to think of them.

A system of cells interlinked
I'm not sure why people rate it low. I thought it was really good claustrophobic horror.
My wife and I never get tired of this film, and we watch it at least once per year. Easily one of the best in the found footage/shaky cam genre.

In the last year, I've seen two found footage films that have had some extremely claustrophobic sequences (Blair Witch and The Borderlands). Don't know if I can stomach another one of those
The actress in Blair Witch really sells that scene - it gets me every time because she is just absolutely losing her mind.

The actress in Blair Witch really sells that scene - it gets me every time because she is just absolutely losing her mind.
Totally agree. I'm a big fan of the original, but that scene alone probably pushed this one over the hump for me.

I saw As Above So Below in the theatre and I thought it was a very good film.

One of my favorite films for horror is actually considered low budget and has a low rating, 4.6 on Imdb and 21% on the popcorn meter/13% on tomato meter. I don't care, I think it's great. Plus I love Egyptian mythology. It has the best Anubis I have ever seen in a film.

Totally agree. I'm a big fan of the original, but that scene alone probably pushed this one over the hump for me.
The entire film is much better than it has any right to be, IMO. I went in expecting a total turd, but have watched it multiple times at this point.

Comedy horror: Crush the Skull (2015)
Yesssssss! You know how I love Crush the Skull (and they also have two very funny Crush the Skull short films on YouTube).

Also, StillMellow, if you've never seen Kairo (aka Pulse), highly recommended.

The entire film is much better than it has any right to be, IMO. I went in expecting a total turd, but have watched it multiple times at this point.
I've only seen it once, but it was last year and I was pleasantly surprised. Here's my review.

Yesssssss! You know how I love Crush the Skull (and they also have two very funny Crush the Skull short films on YouTube).

Also, StillMellow, if you've never seen Kairo (aka Pulse), highly recommended.
I'm pretty sure I owe that one to you.

I've only seen it once, but it was last year and I was pleasantly surprised. Here's my review.

I've never seen that one. I'll add it to my "overwhelmingly Danish and Skandanavian" watch list.

Victim of The Night
Lesser known horror films I would recommend:

The Curse of the Cat People (1944)

Doctor X (1932)

The House on Sorority Row (1983)

Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural (1973)
The Lure (2015)

The Shiver of the Vampires (1971)

Theater of Blood (1973)
I liked all of these.

What if I go for decade?<br />
<br />
1900s: <i>A Panicky Picnic</i> (1909)<br />
1910s: <i>Suspense.</i> (1913)<br />
1920s: <i>The Monster</i> (1925)<br />
1930s: <i>The 9th Guest</i> (1934)<br />
1940s: <i>The Uninvited</i> (1944)<br />
1950s: <i>The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms</i> (1953)<br />
1960s: <i>The Masque of the Red Death</i> (1964)<br />
1970s: <i>Terror of Frankenstein</i> (1977)<br />
1980s: <i>Angst</i> (1983)<br />
1990s: <i>Storm of the Century</i> (1999)<br />
2000s: <i>Pontypool</i> (2008)<br />
2010s: <i>The Eyes of My Mother</i> (2016)<br />
2020s: <i>The Wolf of Snow Hollow</i> (2020)
The Wolf of Snow Hollow was much better than I expected. It's like if "The Snowman" didn't suck.

It's a lot more about an alcoholic police officer completely unraveling than the murder itself, but it still has plenty of scares and gore. It's the sort of film that wouldn't have worked better if it was more sympathetic to the protagonist. He's a complete assh***, who deserves the fallout, but you still feel for him. It's a difficult line to tread and the movie does it well.

Victim of The Night
The Wolf of Snow Hollow was much better than I expected. It's like if "The Snowman" didn't suck.

It's a lot more about an alcoholic police officer completely unraveling than the murder itself, but it still has plenty of scares and gore. It's the sort of film that wouldn't have worked better if it was more sympathetic to the protagonist. He's a complete assh***, who deserves the fallout, but you still feel for him. It's a difficult line to tread and the movie does it well.
I liked tWoSH a lot. I think all three of us that watched it together did. I liked the character/backstory aspect of it, which is almost forestory, really with the killings being the B-story, but I really liked the killings. I mean, I figured it out before the reveal but I thought they did a nice job of making the other thing seem like it might be the thing. Without giving anything away.

That's the Jim Cummings effect. He pretty much does the same in all his other features, and it works in all of them.

Haunt was just okay. The visuals were good, but it had a lot of really really dumb good guy decisions, and good guys getting horribly injured, only to seem perfectly fine minutes later.

Still, it ends strong, and I like
WARNING: spoilers below
the banal, lack of emotions from the villains, especially the clown, the last survivor. This is just a Tuesday for him.