The MoFo Top 100 Musicals Countdown

→ in
Tools    

1. Which film will be top and how many points will it have?
La La Land

2. Which actor or actress will have the most films in the top 100?
Fred Astaire or Judy Garland

3. Which decade will have the most films in the top 100?
40s

4. Which will be the oldest and most recent films to appear?
The Gay Divorcee
CODA

7. How many of the top 100 are animated?

Trouble with a capital "T"
I asked Chat GPT, let's see how smart it is.

ChatGPT predicts: La La Land
I predict: Singin' in the Rain

ChatGPT predicts: Gene Kelly and Judy Garland
I predict: Gene Kelly and Judy Garland

Chat GPT predicts: The 1970s
I predict: The 1950s

Chat GPT predicts: The Jazz Singer (1927) and La La Land (2016)
I predict: 42nd Street (1933) and A Star is Born (2018)

5. Which directors will appear more than once?
Chat GPT predicts: Busby Berkeley, Vincente Minnelli and Damien Chazelle
I predict: Vincente Minnelli and Damien Chazelle

6. Which punctuation mark appears the most in the titles - exclamation mark or colon?
ChatGPT predicts: colons.
I predict: exclamation points, with my avatar how could I not?

Chat GPT predicts: 10 to 15
I predict: 20

8. Several of the titles contain numbers, can you guess what the numbers are?
Chat GPT predicts: "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers," "Fame," and "Chicago" (which references the year). Other common titles include "The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T."
I predict: 42 and 1933

While I haven’t seen it yet, I’ve read that Finian’s Rainbow (Ebert and The Coen Brothers for example) is actually quite good. It was, along with The Rain People films that showed that FFC was clearly in line for better things.
It’s a great film a little out of Copolla’s comfort zone but he does a good job

I was around and going to movies when Rock & Rule came out in 1983 but damned if I remember it and it sounds like something I would've thought was cool. I was a big fan of Cheap Trick and seen them in I think 1984, odd that I never heard of this before. I wonder if it didn't get a big release in the states?
Same

A guessing game while you wait:

6. Which punctuation mark appears the most in the titles - exclamation mark or colon?
1. Singin' in the Rain
2. Gene Kelly or Judy Garland
3. 1950s
4. Oldest: The Jazz Singer (1927) or Top Hat (1935), Recent: tick, tick... BOOM! (2021)
5. Vincente Minnelli, Baz Luhrmann, Stanley Donen
6. Exclamation point!
7. 10 or 12
8. 8 Mile? Three Caballeros?

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Can't speak for Thursday, but fairly likely! The tech stuff looks about done and there's a working mockup. I'll probably spend some time improving it next week, but I can do that marginally as the countdown is going on; it should be good enough to get started with.

At most, would just need to do a quick test and then we're probably good.

The song best known for its use in the classic family film, Deadpool 2.

1. Which film will be top and how many points will it have? - West Side Story
2. Which actor or actress will have the most films in the top 100? Julie Andrews
3. Which decade will have the most films in the top 100? 1990's thanks to Disney Animation.
4. Which will be the oldest and most recent films to appear? Top Hat (1935), Encanto (2021)
5. Which directors will appear more than once? Wolfgang Reitherman, Stanley Dolan,
6. Which punctuation mark appears the most in the titles - exclamation mark or colon? !
7. How many of the top 100 are animated? 23
8. Several of the titles contain numbers, can you guess what the numbers are? Seven, 42nd, 8

Singin' in the Rain (377 points)

Fred Astaire

1950s

Top Hat and CODA

Stanley Donen, Robert Wise, Vincente Minnelli, Gene Kelly, Michael Curtiz, Bob Fosse, George Cukor, Richard Lester, Joshua Logan, Norman Jewison

Exclamation Point!

Two, Seven, Eight, Forty-Two

I didn't answer the directors question, but I'd be surprised if Jacques Demy doesn't have more than 1!

Trouble with a capital "T"

Last night I watched Finian's Rainbow for the first time. Francis Ford Coppola did amazing cinematography on the film. His choice of shooting locations really added to a uniquely 'alternative universe' type feeling to the film. Likewise his studio bound sets are creatively three dimensional which Coppola uses to give spacial movement in a two dimensional media (film). Impressive.

Coppola's opening sequence is stunning with Fred Astaire and Petula Clark (father and daughter) wondering the American countryside looking for the mythical Rainbow Valley, which we find out is located in the deep south. The deep south plays an intricate part in the story as the film is about racism and bigotry which was ripe in 1968 and on the forefront of people's minds and news headlines.

As much as I appreciated the artistry of the film and it's ideas, the scrip which was adapted by E. Y. Harburg and Fred Saidy from their 1947 stage musical of the same name, doesn't give the characters enough screen time to develop. I felt I hardly knew any of them and there forth didn't care about them. The one exception was British actor & entertainer Tommy Steele who plays a full sized leprechaun who slowly becomes mortal and falls in love with 'silent Susan' a mute girl who dances to communicate with people. There were some funny parts in the film and some good songs but the story never gelled so ultimately I didn't care for this.

The bit I don't get is

The tech stuff looks about done and there's a working mockup.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Time zone issues I'm afraid! Yoda needs to be around to check that the code doesn't break the internet (or something, I don't know, I'm a luddite...)

I was thinking maybe it was being presented live via satellite from the Moon or something, and you were still building the rocket!

Sounds like I had the wrong end of the stick though!

Anyway, never mind, as long as nobody's about to die at any moment I don't suppose it makes any difference, and if they are they'd probably have higher priorities anyway.

Am sure it will be good when it gets here!!