The MoFo Top 100 Musicals Countdown

→ in
Tools    

1. Which film will be top and how many points will it have?
La La Land

2. Which actor or actress will have the most films in the top 100?
Fred Astaire or Judy Garland

3. Which decade will have the most films in the top 100?
40s

4. Which will be the oldest and most recent films to appear?
The Gay Divorcee
CODA

7. How many of the top 100 are animated?
I just realized I didn't put La La Land on my list...damn.

Before these mofos turn into angry mobs..
Why not take a guess at today's/tomorrow's reveals..?

100. Fun in Acapulco (1963)
099. Fame (1980)

2lists35points
Cinderella
Director

Charles S. Dubin, 1965

Starring

Lesley Ann Warren, Stuart Damon, Ginger Rogers, Walter Pidgeon

3lists35points
The Meaning of Life
Director

Terry Jones, 1983

Starring

Terry Gilliam, Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Eric Idle

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
OK, 100 and 99 posted but possibly some teething problems, bear with me...

ETA: fixed, thanks @Yoda. I was trigger happy with the posting for a minute there...

I've seen Cinderella and liked the costumes and some of the songs, but was mixed on some of the performances. I rated it a 6/10. I haven't seen The Meaning of Life because I have heard it had some really icky/gross parts.

I can never remember if I've actually seen The Meaning of Life. My dad and my brother were fans of Monty Python when I was a kid and I well remember The Holy Grail playing a lot on the family TV, but I'm not sure if The Meaning of Life was ever in rotation. However, I'm definitely not a fan of Monty Python so I doubt it's my kind of movie.

I definitely haven't seen that version of Cinderella, but I can still say with absolutely certainty that I would not like it.

I am relieved though that the points threshold for making the countdown proper isn't super high. That gives me a lot of hope for a certain little movie that I campaigned for.

FYI - not showing up on mobile right now. I switched over to desktop view on my phone to see them. I recall that was an issue with one of the past countdowns.
Teething problems/etc.

I haven't seen that version of Cinderella. The Meaning of Life is my least favorite Python film, a big drop-off from Holy Grail and Life of Brian. I haven't seen it in a dog's age, though.

I haven't seen that version of Cinderella.

It didn't cross my mind to consider Meaning of Life. I haven't seen it in a long time and wasn't registered in my brain as a musical, but I guess it does have a fair number of musical numbers (I guess it's also hard to think of that classification on skit-based movies and some of the skits have musical numbers in them and some of them don't).
If it had crossed my mind, there's a good chance I would have included it on my ballot. It's probably the weakest Month Python film, but unless there's two or three more musical numbers in the others I'm not thinking of (besides Knights of the Round Table), it's probably the only one eligible for this countdown.

ETA: I couldn't manage a full ballot, so when I say, "I'd probably have considered it for my ballot," as long as my opinion was overall positive and would be something I'd be willing to rewatch, that probably means it would have made it.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Well folks, the countdown can only get better from here Sean must have voted for The Meaning of Life and Beelzebubble Cinderella. I never seen Cinderella (1965) but I did see The Meaning of Life...I like Monty Python stuff but not that movie much.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
Well folks, the countdown can only get better from here Sean most have voted for The Meaning of Life and Beelzebubble Cinderella. I never seen Cinderella (1965) but I did see The Meaning of Life...I like Monty Python stuff but not that movie much.
Nope. I thought there were some moments in Meaning Of Life, but far from making my list.

Haven’t seen Cinderella. Who’s ready for me to say that about 70 more times during the countdown

#JusticeForHamilton

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Monty Python's The Meaning of Life revealed so early!? I thought, it is far more popular here.

Well, since I consider it the best film by the Python's group, I have it high on my ballot at #7, which makes about half of its 35 points.
Rest in peace Terry Jones!

-----

My Ballot

7. Monty Python's The Meaning of Life (1983) [#99]
25. The Gypsy Camp Vanishes Into the Blue (1975) [one pointer]

-----

It's been so long since I've seen The Meaning of Life that I didn't even remember it being a musical. Regardless, despite loving Monty Python's Flying Circus, I've never cared for their movies.

I haven't seen that version of Cinderella, nor was I aware of it's existence.

Reply to Topic