Nosferatu - 2024

Tools    

Just didn't give me any excitement for the project. It felt, somehow, very typical to me, not special in any way, like just another vampire movie but ooh, this one's taking itself seriously. From watching that trailer, if I didn't know it was Eggers or hadn't seen his previous films, I would think this was no more than a Last Voyage Of The Demeter.
I'm certainly pulling for it, but I did have a moment in this trailer where it occurred to me that it was, at the end of the day, the 4000th version of Dracula that I'll have seen.

Victim of The Night
You may be jaded.
I’m interested. I’m a big of Herzog’s Nosferatu.
Me too. I've seen the original probably five times and also loved Herzog's. And I really am not saying that the movie won't be good or great. I'm just saying that trailer did nothing to encourage that feeling in me. I'm sure I'll be seeing it regardless.

Tbf, trailers aren't always proportional to the quality of the film, and given what I've seen so far from Eggers, I have no reason to doubt this film will be great.

I'm certainly pulling for it, but I did have a moment in this trailer where it occurred to me that it was, at the end of the day, the 4000th version of Dracula that I'll have seen.
Yes.
I'm sure it's going to be an entertaining film, but like so many other cinema icons The Vampire has outstayed its welcome imho.

Victim of The Night
Tbf, trailers aren't always proportional to the quality of the film, and given what I've seen so far from Eggers, I have no reason to doubt this film will be great.
No, and that's what I really meant, maybe it came off the wrong way. I was criticizing the trailer not the movie (which I haven't seen) for making the movie look so... typical.

Yes.
I'm sure it's going to be an entertaining film, but like so many other cinema icons The Vampire has outstayed its welcome imho.

The point Cap made wasn't so much about iconic figures like The Vampire, but rather, specifically, adaptations of the novel, Dracula (as opposed to adaptations of Carmilla. e.g. Vampire, The Vampire Lovers, or movies featuring a character named Dracula, or just movies with vampires (Fright Night, The Lost Boys, Vampyres)).

No, and that's what I really meant, maybe it came off the wrong way. I was criticizing the trailer not the movie (which I haven't seen) for making the movie look so... typical.

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat, but I also have only seen the trailer at theaters, not because I've sought it out. I'd prefer going in as blind as possible, since it is already working with known material. So I'm just hoping the trailer is just not showing the interesting stuff (outside of, "okay, this is how this version of Nosferatu is doing the iconic shadowy claws scene).

I watched 4 or 5 different adaptations of Dracula a year or two back during October and feel that sentiment.

Guy Maddin's silent ballet one really stood out as being one of the more faithful adaptations and still somehow feeling the most original.

Flip side, I also think about how the tone of most of them aren't that interesting to me, so in that sense I still have hopes for Eggers' version.

The point Cap made wasn't so much about iconic figures like The Vampire, but rather, specifically, adaptations of the novel, Dracula (as opposed to adaptations of Carmilla. e.g. Vampire, The Vampire Lovers, or movies featuring a character named Dracula, or just movies with vampires (Fright Night, The Lost Boys, Vampyres)).
Correct.

It's like Little Women or Jane Eyre or watching Bruce Wayne's parents being murdered. When you know everything that's going to happen there's a bit of "why are we doing this again" that's inevitable.

Granted, no one said I had to watch EVERY version of Dracula ever made, so that's kind of on me I guess.

I’m sold. After the Lighthouse, not even that Viking movie put a bad taste in my mouth for Eggers.

Sigh Id be so much more excited for this if it wasnt another retelling of Dracula. Thats the difference between pulling me into a theater and being willing to wait for it on one of the membership streams.

All right, I misinterpreted his/her opinion, but that still doesn't change my opinion.
The vampire theme in any shape or form has nothing more to offer, and I don't see why the idea to remake Nosferatu for a second time is more imaginative than the umpteenth remake of Batman or Spider Man.

If they really need to remake a gothic story then why not Corridor Of Mirrors or something like that.

Victim of The Night
Correct.

It's like Little Women or Jane Eyre or watching Bruce Wayne's parents being murdered. When you know everything that's going to happen there's a bit of "why are we doing this again" that's inevitable.

Granted, no one said I had to watch EVERY version of Dracula ever made, so that's kind of on me I guess.
It's like the difference between an elephant and an elephant seal.

I would say it boils down to the talent behind a film which has been adapted numerous times as opposed to the fact it's being adapted/remade yet again. I'd be skeptical of most horror directors who'd take on this project, but I think Eggers and a few other notable auteurs working today have the proper style to make it happen. Or, at least, to make it look and feel unique from the prior entries we've seen from Murnau, Herzog, etc.

The Guy Who Sees Movies
There will ALWAYS be Vampire films.
Indeed. I don't know how many I've seen, but it's a lot. They all have a different take on The Count or Nosferatu or whatever. I'm interested in this one to see how it compares to the 1922 movie by the same name since they are evoking the name.

It's worth noting that none of the vampire movies centered around the Dracula story are all that close to either Stoker's book or the actual historical Dracula. All of the borrow pieces of Stoker or history, but then veer down their own path. This one seems to be clearly doing some sort of remake of the 1922 Orlock, which, itself, was a revisionist version of the story, but in my opinion, that 1922 silent movie is probably my favorite since it's SO alien to any world I've lived in.

I do wonder whether the new Nosferatu will adhere to what happened in the 1922 version where that Orlock, Max Schrek (Great Fear in German), appeared in costume, makeup and in character when his scenes were shot.

Indeed. I don't know how many I've seen, but it's a lot. They all have a different take on The Count or Nosferatu or whatever. I'm interested in this one to see how it compares to the 1922 movie by the same name since they are evoking the name.

It's worth noting that none of the vampire movies centered around the Dracula story are all that close to either Stoker's book or the actual historical Dracula. All of the borrow pieces of Stoker or history, but then veer down their own path. This one seems to be clearly doing some sort of remake of the 1922 Orlock, which, itself, was a revisionist version of the story, but in my opinion, that 1922 silent movie is probably my favorite since it's SO alien to any world I've lived in.

I do wonder whether the new Nosferatu will adhere to what happened in the 1922 version where that Orlock, Max Schrek (Great Fear in German), appeared in costume, makeup and in character when his scenes were shot.
Nothing based on history is "correct". Even the films I have seen about Elizabeth Bathory are not near what may have really happened. No one from modern times were there to see first hand and at that, would be a "perception".

I'll take what entertains me. The opening of the new Salem's Lot seemed a bit like The Voyage of the Demeter. Both vampiric stories to entertain.

Again, they are ideas from people's minds and turned into stories and cinema. A piece from this and that.

The Guy Who Sees Movies
Nothing based on history is "correct". Even the films I have seen about Elizabeth Bathory are not near what may have really happened. No one from modern times were there to see first hand and at that, would be a "perception".

I'll take what entertains me. The opening of the new Salem's Lot seemed a bit like The Voyage of the Demeter. Both vampiric stories to entertain.

Again, they are ideas from people's minds and turned into stories and cinema. A piece from this and that.
Yeah...."what entertains me" is my approach too. As an amateur historian on my non-movie days, I've never expected much when it comes to "historical" movies. If anything, I'm curious how they will fictionalize it because much of real history is complicated beyond a 90 minute plot line.

The Dracula thing is interesting to me because there IS a historical character (Vlad the Impaler) whose exploits are so barbaric and bloodthirsty as to make vampires look downright benign. His nick-name has been borrowed numerous times so now, a movie tradition "owns" the name.

I've seen so many of these movies, that I often wonder what someone will do next time to keep the genre alive, undead, or whatever.

Yeah...."what entertains me" is my approach too. As an amateur historian on my non-movie days, I've never expected much when it comes to "historical" movies. If anything, I'm curious how they will fictionalize it because much of real history is complicated beyond a 90 minute plot line.

The Dracula thing is interesting to me because there IS a historical character (Vlad the Impaler) whose exploits are so barbaric and bloodthirsty as to make vampires look downright benign. His nick-name has been borrowed numerous times so now, a movie tradition "owns" the name.

I've seen so many of these movies, that I often wonder what someone will do next time to keep the genre alive, undead, or whatever.
I am like you, a history buff. I do enjoy the darker side of history, hence mentioning The Blood Countess Elizabeth Bathory.