Starring

Doris Day, Howard Keel, Allyn Ann McLerie, Philip Carey

2lists47points
The Burden
Director

Niki Lindroth von Bahr, 2017

Starring

Sven Björklund, Carl Englén, Mattias Fransson, Olof Wretling

Seen and liked both, but neither made my ballot. Doris Day is wonderful in Calamity Jane and it is a fun and entertaining musical western. Glad it made the countdown. The Burden is an interesting and creative short film. I really liked the animation and character design.

Seen: 17/18

Trouble with a capital "T"
Calamity Jane was my #4. It was also my nomination in the first Western HoF we did. Strangely I never wrote a review of it...so I'll just say I like it.

Tomorrow we have a colourful duo...
White Christmas / G.I. Blues or Purple Rain / Green Book.

Haven't seen The Burden or Calamity Jane. The latter stars Doris Day so I'm assuming the vocals were excellent. West Side Story 2021 was fine, okay, alright. Which is just not what one expects from a legend like Spielberg. Favorite film revealed so far that's not on my ballot is Begin Again. Mark Ruffalo, Keira Knightley, Yasiin Bey/mos def and Hailee Steinfeld were all very good in their roles. Adam Levine, Cee-Lo and James Corden give the film a slightly commercial and pop appeal. Luckily there's also enough singer-songwriter vibe for counterbalance. My favorite scenes are when Ruffalo's character creates a whole arrangement in his mind. (I also do this sometimes, even with films.) Another favorite is the NYC rooftop at night scene with that awesome guitar solo by Hailee Steinfeld.

SEEN 5/18
BALLOT 1/25

25. Anastasia (1997)

I watched Calamity Jane in prep for the 50's countdown back when I was watching everything. It didn't make my 50's ballot and I don't think it made my western's ballot, but it was a lot of fun and settled in as my #17 here.

Not familiar with The Burden.

My streak of "not seen"s continues. I don't think I had even heard of The Burden.

SEEN: 4/16
MY BALLOT: 0/25

My ballot  

Wow, that triggered a memory from a movie I had long forgotten even existed: My Father the Hero.

That scene is hilarious when you know the context of the movie!

I admit, that song has been used for humor (and often suggestive humor) more than most, I think everyone from Dean Martin to Benny Hill have done renditions of it (and often with something inappropriate going on throughout for a laugh).

My streak of "not seen"s continues. I don't think I had even heard of The Burden.
Please rectify ASAP. It will only take you 14 minutes.

So The Burden was my number one. I find it very emotionally moving for a film that starts with fish who have synthesizer voices talking about their dating woes in a hotel hallway. I really love the detail in the animation, I think that the songs are catchy, and the ending is chill-inducing (as is that whole sequence in the grocery store).

I know that SpelingError is a fan as well, so I was hopeful that with his and my votes combined it might make the list.

I didn't care much for Into the Woods or Gigi.

I haven't seen Calamity Jane.

The Burden was #4 on my ballot. Here's what I wrote about it awhile ago, though I didn't give it nearly enough credit at the time:

Just finished The Burden, and I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the animation style, the attention to detail, and some of the songs (the last one, in particular). At 13 minutes, I think it neither overstayed its welcome, nor felt too brief. In regards to the themes, I enjoyed how the characters all appeared to be in the same boat of being stuck in their dull jobs/lives and wanting to escape from it, yet none of them seemed to have any means of doing so, nor did they seem to know how to communicate with each other. The shot of the animals drifting through space on a rock was a great way to end the film since it showed that there was likely no way for them to escape from their situations. Overall, it's a moving short, though it likely won't make my ballot (I often have difficulty with comparing short films to feature length films). Still though, good nomination.

It was about at the top of my short films list from earlier this year.

I completely forgot about the Burden! I gotta watch it again soon. That would've certainly knocked Muppet Treasure Island off my list. Exactly where it'd fall in the list, I'm not sure.

Calamity Jane was fun. Didn't make my list though.

Seen: 9 of 18
List: 0
Should've been on list: The Burden

Reply to Topic