You don't see that anymore.

Tools    

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
In our dorm, we made curtains out of beer pull tabs. Drinking age was 18. When I was 19 1/2, Michigan raised the age to 21. That sucked, so we drove to Windsor...weekly.
That reminds me. Al Capone was 21 when prohibition began.

I remember when a luxury car, in part, was measured by the number of cigarette lighters you could find inside the cabin. You don't find back seat electric cigarette lighters in modern cars. In the old days, it was like Batman. You flip the secret panel on the arm rest and BOOM! another cigarette lighter with an ashtray.

Speaking of cars:

- Steel instrument panels, glove bin doors, bumpers and knee bolsters.
- foot stomp bright light switch (miss those)
- rear seat belts.
- a trunk that's useful.
- a full size spare tire.

Trouble with a capital "T"
Speaking of cars:

- Steel instrument panels, glove bin doors, bumpers and knee bolsters.
- foot stomp bright light switch (miss those)
- rear seat belts.
- a trunk that's useful.
- a full size spare tire.
And a 4 barrel carb under the hood!

I miss that stuff. That and a tylenol usually took care of my hayfever.

Ya...hayfever...that's what it was good for.

Sadly, it seems that you might have been deprived of your hayfever medication because of people like me.

Ya...hayfever...that's what it was good for.

Sadly, it seems that you might have been deprived of your hayfever medication because of people like me.
Speeders don't make laws. Politicians do. I blame the politicians.

Indeed, as do some law offices and backwards, stuck in the past govt/ orgs like the RMV. My point was that on the sender side of things, you rarely need an actual fax machine these days.
You're right, Sedai. "Email fax" has replaced a lot of the fax machines. I used one in my Chiropractic office for 40 years. I just now ditched it when I moved to a small office at my home.

But Email fax is still Email, so not at all safe. Faxes were pretty safe if they went over a telephone line. Actually the safest communication today (beside mutual encryption) is snail mail-- USPS here in the States. No one will open your mail. Government, Big Tech, and Deep State are not set up for it. So we've in effect come full circle...

I remember a podcast I listened to years ago which, essentially, came to the same conclusion @GulfportDoc. It wasn't a 'serious' conversation, just two people chatting, but they were talking about why NHS still use fax machines (basically it's a failsafe as networks go down so regularly) and they started riffing on how no one knows what a fax machine is now anyway, so most people couldn't hack one, and so, it's probably safe to use than email these days and this ended up with, for the normal random person, a paper letter is possibly safer/more private than anything else. Especially as no one really cares about mail anymore unless it's a parcel/delivery, as almost everything else gets dismissed as either a bill or junk mail.

Affordable, utilitarian pickup trucks with 6-foot to 8-foot beds, and engines that can be worked on by the owner. Pickups today are overpriced luxury vehicles, gigantic but with tiny beds too small to be of much use, and nearly impossible to work on.

These are very similar to the one gallon containers of milk I remember from childhood.

i remember the canned carnation milk, they are still around

I still have a set of "Compton's" encyclopedias.

Had a friend who spent years trying to find a way to get rid of his encyclopedias (no one wanted them, no one would buy them, libraries refused them). When he moved, he ended up throwing them in the trash. (Hopefully his parents' investment in his future had some positive results.)

I still have a set of "Compton's" encyclopedias.

Had a friend who spent years trying to find a way to get rid of his encyclopedias (no one wanted them, no one would buy them, libraries refused them). When he moved, he ended up throwing them in the trash. (Hopefully his parents' investment in his future had some positive results.)
i have a britannica set from 1963. my parents bought it when my older brother was 10. somehow i ended up with it and can't seem to part with it.

i have a britannica set from 1963. my parents bought it when my older brother was 10. somehow i ended up with it and can't seem to part with it.
So many people bought them (at least people with kids) - which is part of the reason why they're hard to get rid of, sans chucking them.

From the 1950's to the end of the 70's, buying a set of encyclopedias was like buying your kid their own desk top computer in the late 90's & early 2000's.