Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

1st Rewatch...My first rewatch since I saw this on NBC's Saturday Night at the Movies when I was five years old. The final film of director Frank Capra, this film is a remake of a 1933 comedy called Lady for a Day, which finds Glenn Ford playing a gangster with a heart named Dave the Dude, who every day purchases an apple from a peddler named Apple Annie (Bette Davis) because he thinks are apples bring him luck. One day, Dave can't find Annie and when he track her down he finds her in a drunken stupor and learns that she's hysterical because her daughter, Louise, who has been living overseas, i coming to visit for a week and she's going to find out that Annie is not the woman Annie has been pretending to be in her letters. With the aide of Dave's mistress, Queenie Martin (Hope Lange), Annie is cleaned up and set up in an elegant Manhattan penthouse with a fake husband (Thomas Mitchell) to fool Louise while she's here. The screenplay is a little long winded, making the film about 30 minutes longer than it needs to be, but the performances are so on taget you almost don't notice. I have never enjoyed Ford or Lange more than in this movie and Davis is charming and heartbreaking as Apple Annie...watch her when she marches into that hotel to get her letter from Louise or that scene where Dave is trying to get her to explain her predicament. There is an amazing supporting cast that includes Sheldon Leonard, Arthur O'Connell, Edward Everett Horton, Mickey Shaughnessy, Jerome Cowan, and Jay Novello b ut towering above them all and practically stealing the movie is Peter Falk as Dave the Dude's stooge, Joy Boy, a performance so on target that it earned him an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor. ANd if you don't blink, you'll catch brief appearances from two cast members of the sitcom I Dream of Jeannie...Hayden Roarke (Dr. Bellows) and Barton MacLane (General Petersen).

Touch of Evil (1958) - Orson Welles: 6/10

The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog (1927) 9.5

I think this has to be my favourite silent movie.
I know it wasn't silent but from a similar era, I don't know how people rate M higher than this.
I know M has some new techniques, but this has some incredible shots, and the walking on the ceiling I have no idea how they did it even today!
A fantastic soundtrack added in 1999 as well. Perfect.

Vicky Cristina Barcelona

7/10 I saw it as an almost anti-romance movie, quirky and a must see even if just for the location. Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem are magnificent as always.
Hated this movie…still can’t believe Cruz won an Oscar for it.

SF = Zzz

Viewed: Amazon Prime

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Stay Out of the Basement (Ryan Callaway, 2023)

Despite the hilarious poster and an intriguing rating spread on letterboxd, this is actually just competent enough to not be interesting or exude any bad movie charm. Also the movie just kinda stops? like, it hits the end of the second act and then credits roll, lol. Decent vibes and an easy watch i guess but can't say much more in its defense.

Watchmen: Chapter 1

By now, it seems there have been endless adaptations of Watchmen - first they. made a movie, then they made a limited series, and now... an animated adaptation?

I'm not sure that there was a lot of demand for this, but the entire approach taken by DC Studios recently has been so scattershot, it just seems they're desperately throwing stuff at the wall, just to see if anything sticks.

The latest is an animated adaptation that has been split into two parts - the second one is to be released around Thanksgiving. Personally, I think it would have been a lot better from the viewer's perspective if the whole thing had been released all at once.

There are too many plot lines that get started here and obviously, no resolution for any of them. The voices are OK and the animation is, at best, serviceable.

The only real question that remains is, of course, after the animated version, will we have seen the last of the Watchmen adaptations?

I forgot the opening line.

By May be found at the following website: http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/0228084c, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=28990670

The Solitude of Prime Numbers - (2010)

This Italian movie was a welcome change of pace - if you love strange people and underdogs, take a look at the intersecting lives of Alice (Alba Rohrwacher) and Mattia (Luca Marinelli). Their parents just wish they were normal, and their idiosyncrasies make them targets as far as their childhood peers go - but this story follows them (in a non-chronological way) through childhood and into adulthood (to the point where three actors were needed for each character.) Mattia, who cuts himself, has a revelation for us and Alice about his past, towards the end of the film, that's absolutely mind-blowing - and even though he's a non-communicative outcast, he's scholastically talented enough to do well in life financially, if not socially. Alice sets her sights on him in high school, and never gives up on her hopes for a romantic relationship, even when the two form an especially close friendship that lasts through the years. It's a relationship and twin lives that make for an interesting narrative, and a couple of winsome performances. The second film I've seen in under a week that makes prominent use of the song "Yes Sir I Can Boogie"

7/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=5854557

The Last Kiss - (2006)

Michael (Zach Braff) is living the perfect life, with his three best friends still a tight-knot group, and his loved and loving girlfriend, Jenna (Jacinda Barrett) just announcing that she's having a baby. Still - it all seems like his future holds no surprises and that terrifies him. When a young woman at a wedding makes advances on him, he makes a fateful decision to see where that might lead. There's nothing new about this narratively or the way everything is presented, and there's even a whiff of misogyny (for the most part there's a semblance of balance) in this remake of Italian comedy L' Ultimo Bacio. That said, there's an underlying maturity to the proceedings that saves what might have been not worth the effort, and despite some really iffy moments I can't bring myself to come down too hard on The Last Kiss, because there's a lot that's good about it. Temptation mixed with uncertainty is a recipe for disaster.

6/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7036756

America America - (1963)

Hardly any of this movie is set in the United States, but at the same time it's one of the greatest exponents of the U.S. because of what Stavros Topouzoglou's (Stathis Giallelis) journey from Ottoman Turkey to New York represents. Full review here, in my watchlist thread.

8/10

Latest Review : Double Down (2005)

A system of cells interlinked
Only got two in this weekend.

Poltergeist

Hooper, 1982

I had it in my head that last time I had watched this, which was years ago, that it had gotten sort of long in the tooth, and its time had passed. Not sure why, because this is still a pretty effective horror flick.

There are a few effects that are looking pretty dated, but I think most of them still work fairly well. There are several excellent sequences, and the pacing of the film is pretty much perfect. The final shot still left me with a smile, as well.

Yep - it's a classic.

Poltergeist II - The Other Side

Miller, 1986

Sadly, this is most certainly not a classic. Aside from a memorable turn as Kane by Julian Beck, this film now comes across more as an unintentional comedy these days. There are a couple of absolutely laugh out loud scenes, and I am pretty sure that was not the aim. I don't think Miller understood what made the first film work, both in tone and performance.

That said, this film was allegedly victim of the continued Poltergeist Curse, a curse that has been explored on shows such as E:True Hollywood Story and the like. Cast deaths, sickness, random disasters and the inexplicable choices made by crew, such as using actual cadavers in scenes containing dead bodies(!!!). Considering all that, I guess we were lucky to see the film at all.