Do you think a superhero movie will ever win a Best Picture Oscar?

Tools    

Ever is a long time, so sure.

I think maybe the more interesting variant is what will have to happen for this to take place. And my answer there would be: continued decrease in interest in the Oscars combined with generational turnover in the voting body, leading to something a lot more like the Grammys, where they mostly lose the pretense of genuine critical appraisal and become more like a crowdpleasing variety show.
the grammys have become irrelevant.

The trick is not minding
Because he perfected making movies big, dumb, and sentimental. He and Lucas killed the golden age of 70s cinema. He gave us spectacle simplified, the cinematic cheeseburger perfected, weaponized, insidious, greasy, cheesey, and irresistible.
What’s wrong with sentimentality? Everyone tosses it around like it’s some sort of sin for a film to be sentimental.
Spielberg showed you can make a film entertaining with out sacrificing skill involved in making these.

What’s wrong with sentimentality? Everyone tosses it around like it’s some sort of sun for a film to be sentimental.
Spielberg showed you can make a film entertaining whiteout sacrificing skill involved in making these.
"Wrong" wasn't the question. "Will" was. Part of the answer as to "why" is "sentiment."

If there is a note of judgment, it's tongue-and-cheek. Spielberg is great, even if a bit hokey.

His greatness, however, tilted the game (he was a big part of cementing the big summer block buster).

Hollywood's most serious financial investments are now tied to the most unserious premises (e.g., purple man searches for magic rocks). Reality itself has become allegory. Keep throwing these half-billion dollar darts at the board and eventually one them might hit the center and win a shiny. Is that so hard to believe?

What’s wrong with sentimentality? Everyone tosses it around like it’s some sort of sun for a film to be sentimental.
Agreed 100%.

I'm sure there are plenty of discussions to be had on how sentimentality didn't suit a particular film or how the film slipped into schmaltziness, but I think it's become a buzzword for a while to dismiss any film on principle. The issue with using the word in a negative context though is it's not actually a criticism of anything. It's just a statement on the tone of the film. Not whether or not the emotions the film produced are good or bad. And people who criticize movies for this rarely follow up on the initial descriptor in my experiences. I think sentimentality, just like any other emotion a film can get you to feel, is a side of the stylistic coin. It's not inherently good or bad. Like, does it manipulate your emotions? Sure, but so does any film which makes you feel happy, angry, scared, confused, etc. What makes sentimentality different?

As for the question in the thread title, I'd say yes since "ever" is an incredibly long time. It's worth noting, however, that superhero films have been declining in popularity for some time, so I think the odds of this happening in the near future versus several years ago are much lower.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I would say yes, largely because Joker and The Dark Knight exist which hold mainstream appeal as well as film nerd and critics' appeal. Joker was wonderful. The Dark Knight had great individual moments, but superhero films are just not my thing. I think the first Superman film from 1978 also had that crossover appeal. I don't read comics or know enough about the genre to know which characters or stories might have Oscar potential. I do know I saw a couple Spiderman films, a couple Iron Man films, and the first Avengers and have little use for them.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

I say no.
If the Black Panther didn't win, nothing can. It was an exciting movie, filled with powerhouse performances and the cache of being about a minority group. This is an Oscar bait trifecta.
Isn't it also the last film of beloved Hollywood star, Chadwick Boseman?
What more do you want?

Isn't it also the last film of beloved Hollywood star, Chadwick Boseman?
No, he was in five more movies after that, the last one being Ma Rainey's Black Bottom

As for the question in the thread title, I'd say yes since "ever" is an incredibly long time. It's worth noting, however, that superhero films have been declining in popularity for some time, so I think the odds of this happening in the near future versus several years ago are much lower.
you really think they are declining in popularity? there seems to be more of them than ever.

you really think they are declining in popularity? there seems to be more of them than ever.
It's still the most popular genre, by far.

and next year they're going to bring back a lot of popular characters, including Superman, the Fantastic Four, etc.

Well, Black Panther was one of the nominates in 2019 for Best Film, I'm sure Disney can get another film there.
I had forgotten that

It was mostly a joke, mostly...Spielberg and Lucas ushered in the era of big block busters with simplified stories of super villains and heroic saviors all done up with a moral message for the audience. Those type of films are still with us in superhero movies. Which is probably why people today need their movies to deliver the type of messages they agree with. Back before Star Wars and E.T...movies were more balanced with more movies being made for discerning adults. Since Spielberg and Lucas hit the big screen, movies have increasingly been made like entertainment parks.
i guess you re not a star wars fan

i didn't see it so this could be way off but everything everywhere all at once looked like it had big marvel energy, and considering a bunch of superhero movies have been nominated in the past i think it's a matter of when not if. in a perfect world it would happen this year lol.

i didn't see it so this could be way off but everything everywhere all at once looked like it had big marvel energy, and considering a bunch of superhero movies have been nominated in the past i think it's a matter of when not if. in a perfect world it would happen this year lol.
which movie for this year?

The documentary Super/Man has a good shot at getting nominated for Best Documentary.

Trouble with a capital "T"
i guess you re not a star wars fan
I seen the original Star Wars back in 1977 at the theater and it was a big deal with lines going around the block. It played at the same theater for over a year, it was that big. So sure I thought it was pretty cool and I liked the following two Star Wars films as well. But no I've never been into Star Wars. I was always a Star Trek fan, but not the newer stuff.

I'm referring to their performance at the box office. Not the amount of them being released each year.