I have run out of films

Tools    

Trouble with a capital "T"
The pushback you receive is probably because the first post comes across as if by this method you've come up with you now have seen everything that's worth seeing and know everything worth knowing about movies period. It sounds a bit brash, superficial and frankly bait-y.

Meaning some resistance should be expected in, you know, a movie forum full of movie fans..
It's understandable that movie fans would push back on the idea that someone has run out of movies to watch. I think most post, including yours is fine as they're being honest with how they see things.

I went back and read the 1st post and I don't see Robert bragging or being condescending or sounding like a know-it-all. He's not Mr Minio I've read alot of Robert's threads and he's low key and mellow...he does love to make list and rate things. That just his thing and probably why he's called Robert the List So I take what he says at face value, he has completed his project of making a Top 200 movie list and is now wondering what's next for him? And we've given him some good suggestions which hopefully helps him out.

This is why I dont do lists or countdowns. When it goes from organic enjoyment into forced critique minded scrutiny then its ruined for me. As it is I have a Top 10, and thats probably not accurate.
I've quite enjoyed rating movies as I find it sort of fascinating to watch how it all develops over time and to what degree it stays consistent or not. Naturally there have been some adjustments over the years, but oddly enough most of it seems to stay more or less on the same rating.

In my opinion, the more you see of *everything*, the more it makes you appreciate the really good stuff, because you come to realize just how rare it is for something to turn out really really great.
Exactly

Sometimes were not as objective or self aware as we think we are.
True. Then again how are you able to tell objectively? Like what do you use for reference in order to get a feel for roughly how objective and self aware you are at any given moment, when say rating a movie, other than referring to some kind of record of your previous thoughts and opinions on uh.. other movies?

It's understandable that movie fans would push back on the idea that someone has run out of movies to watch. I think most post, including yours is fine as they're being honest with how they see things.

I went back and read the 1st post and I don't see Robert bragging or being condescending or sounding like a know-it-all. He's not Mr Minio I've read alot of Robert's threads and he's low key and mellow...he does love to make list and rate things. That just his thing and probably why he's called Robert the List So I take what he says at face value, he has completed his project of making a Top 200 movie list and is now wondering what's next for him? And we've given him some good suggestions which hopefully helps him out.

That's fine. Note though that I said "comes across as" and "seems". Nowhere did I say I thought he was bragging or being condescending or sounding like a know-it-all. I did however express that it seemed a bit over confident and superficial to conclude that he pretty much had seen what was worth seeing by following this method of his. Maybe undeserved, IDK but I'm gonna stand by that for now.

Trouble with a capital "T"
That's fine. Note though that I said "comes across as" and "seems".
Noted

Nowhere did I say I thought he was bragging or being condescending or sounding like a know-it-all...
Agreed, I know you didn't say that. I wasn't saying that in general to the board.

This is all good stuff.

Also, I wanna commend Robert, the OP, for taking this in stride. A lot of people have come at him a little bit and he hasn't gotten too riled by it, which is admirable. And I think from his chill tone we can infer that some of the less charitable interpretations are a little wide of the mark. Not that I think there aren't a few assumptions in the supposed problem that aren't worth disabusing, of course.

A lot of people have come at him a little bit and he hasn't gotten too riled by it.
Hold my beverage.

Summary:

Robert the List: I have run out of films.

10 to 15 MoFos: No you haven't.

Robert the List: Yes I have.

x 4 pages..
More accurate summary:

Robert the List: I have run out of films.

4 or 5 MoFos: You are just being arrogant, boastful, deluded and a snob who doesn't watch recent material, and assesses films based on their existing ranking score.

Robert the List: No I'm not

x 4 pages..

True. Then again how are you able to tell objectively? Like what do you use for reference in order to get a feel for roughly how objective and self aware you are at any given moment, when say rating a movie, other than referring to some kind of record of your previous thoughts and opinions on uh.. other movies?
I just go off how much it intentionally & successfully manipulated my feelings.

When Harry Met Sally is in my top 10 because it showed me what I feel is the perfect formula for true love. Be best friends first. Then the love is undeniable, even if you want to deny it.

Taken, oh my god, I dont think I ever rooted for the good guy more, and though some of the action was far fetched, it was at least smartly far fetched.

Glengarry Glen Ross was a salesmans movie. All the good and dark that is in the business. The thrill of the sale making you intoxicated with ego, and delusional of your self worth. Eventually you have none if balanced improperly.

The World According to Garp was the movie that made me love movies rather than as an occasional activity. The range of emotions that movie took me thru, and none predictable. I was 12, and I wept. Thats more of a personal pick, not everyone will get what I got from it.

Now where it gets ridiculous is when I start putting these movies in an "order"? Meh. It cheapens film rather than elevates it.

Now where it gets ridiculous is when I start putting these movies in an "order"? Meh. It cheapens film rather than elevates it.
Fair enough if that's for you, but the following posters (in alphabetical order) at least would seem to have a different view:

AdamUpBxtch - AdamUpBxtch's Top 50 Favorite Films
adepter - My top 100
ash is the gal - ash_is_the_gal's Top 100 /// ash_is_the_gal's Top 100, 2nd edition
Bastardo! - Bastardo!'s Top 100 Favourite Movies
Beatle - My favorites...
BlueLion - BlueLion's Top 50
BobbyB - BobbyB's Top 100 Movies
Caitlyn - Caity's Top 100.…
Camo - Camo's Top 100 /// Camos Top 50
chet seven - Chet's Top 100
christine - Christine's Top 100
cinemaafficionado - Cinemaafficionado's 300 Most Memorable Movies
Classer - Classer's 100 superduperfavourite films
Classicqueen13 - The Royal 100
Cobpyth - Cobpyth's Top 101 Favorite Feature Films
Cole416 - Cole's 40 Favorite Mainstream Movies
cricket - Cricket's top 200 favorite flicks
Daniel M - Daniel's 150 favourite films so far
Darkrose - Darkrose: Top 50 List
TheDavePhan - TheDavePhan's Top 100 movies
DDWH - 50 Favorite Movies DDWH
Derek Vinyard - DerekVinyard's Top 50 Best Movie Of All-Time
Daniel M - Daniel M's Top 100 - 2014
Ðèstîñy - Ðèstîñy's Infinity of Favorites!
Dog Star Man - Dog Star Man's Top 100 of Sorts: (Year 2011)
TheDominator - TheDOMINATOR's Top 100 Favorite Films
donniedarko - Donnie Darko Top 100
False Writer - The Good, The Bad, and the Artsy - False Writer's 100 Favorite Movies
Fiscal - Fiscal's Top 100 Favorite Films
Flilmmaker1473 - Flimmaker's Top 100 Movies
Fuze - Fuze's Top 100 Redux
Gabrielle947 - Gabrielle has seen 100 good films
Gandalf26 - Gandalf's Top 50 Favourite Films
Gatsby - Gatsby's Top 51 Films
Genesis Pig - Genesis Pig's Cinamatic Faves!!!
TheGirlWhoHadAllTheLuck - TheGirlWhoHadAllTheLuck_'s Top 100 /// TheGirlWhoHadAllTheLuck_'s Revised Top 100
The Gnat - The Gnat's Top 100
Godoggo - Godoggo's 120 favorite movies
Guaporense - Guaporense's top 100 favorite films /// Guaporense's top 200 - 101 favourite films /// Guaporense top 100 favorite live action films /// Top 50 Favorite Movies
Gunny - Gunny's Official Top 100 Movies Of All-Time
The Gunslinger45 - The Gunslinger45's top 50 favorite movies /// A Personal Journey with The Gunslinger45 through the Movies: A Top 50+ /// Fear and Loathing in MoFo...The Gunlinger45's Top 50 Favorite Films
HandyApe - HandyApe's 50 Favorite Films
hapax_legomena - 100 Favorite Films by hapax_legomena
Harry Lime - Harry Lime's List
hello101 - A Nobody's Top 100
Hitchcockian - Hitchcockian's Favourite 100 movies
HitchFan97 - HitchFan97's Top 50 /// HitchFan97's Top 50: 2012 Update
Holden Pike - Pike's Peak Picks
HoneyKid - HK's 100 Favourites...Kinda
iluv2viddyfilms - iluv2viddyfilms top 100 movies
I'm-a-Maniac - I'm-a-Manic's 100 favorite movies
Iroquois - Iro's Top 100 Movies /// Iro's Top 100 Movies v2.0 /// Iro's Top 100 Movies v3.0
JakeScotts - Top 100 Films -ModernFlix
James Sparrow - Top 100 As Presented By, The Elephant Man (James Sparrow)
JayDee - JayDee's 100 Favourite Films
John-Connor - John Connor's Top 250 of All Time
Journeyowns - Top 100 Favorite Movies of Journeyowns
Juno MacGuff - Juno's Top 50 (Plus)
Kitsch - Kitsch's Top 100
LAMb EELYAK - My 100 Favoriteish Movies
Lennon - MY top 100 films (Lennon)
linespalsy - The 100 favorite movies of Lines Palsy
LuDiNaToR - LuDiNaToR's New and improved top 100 /// My New 50 Fav's
Lundy1026 - Lundy1026's Favorite Films
MadMikeyD - MadMikeyD's Top 100 Films
mark f - The mafo's (Mark’s) MoFo 100 List
martyrofevil - Martyrofevil's top 100
Masterman - Master's great 100
Masterman - My Master 100 (2014)
matt72582 - Matt72582's Top 50 of All-Time
Meatwadsprite - Meatwadsprite's Top 100 Movies /// Meatwassprite's Top 100 Movies - Part II
michaelcorleone - michaelcorleone 100 Favorite Flicks /// My 50 Favorite Films, Updated & Revised
TheMightyCelestial - The Mighty Celestial's Top 100 Movies
Mingusings - Mingusing's Top 50 Favorite Films
Misirlou - Misirlou's Top 100
Miss Vicky - Miss Vicky's Fave /// Miss Vicky's 100 Favorite Movies /// The Resident Bitch's New Top 100 Favorite Films
MovieBuffering - MovieBUFFering's 101 Favorite Movies
MovieFan1988 - My 100 Favorite Movies
MovieMan8877445 - MovieMan8877445's Top 100 Movies
Mr Minio -Mr Minio's Top 185 Films aka I bet you haven't seen it!
nat666195 - Top 100 favourite films
NBAluke579 - NBAluke579's 50 Favorite Films of All-Time
Neiba - Neiba's Personal Top 50 /// Neiba's All-Time Top 100 (2015 Edition
Nope1172 - Nope's 50 Favorite Movies
nostromo87 - Nostromo's Top 50 Cocktail Party
Optimus - Optimus 100 favourite movies
PeterVincent - PeterVincent's Top 150
pfiction94 - My 100 fave (pfiction94)
Plainview - Plainview's Top 50 films
Plan B - Plan B: My Top 100 Favorite Movies of All Time
Powdered Water - Powderedwater's top 100
The Prestige - The Prestige's Prestigious films to immerse you
Prospero - Prospero's 100 Faves
Pyro Tramp - Pyro's Top 100 /// Pyro’s 170 Visual Pleasures
Pussy Galore - Pussy Galore's 75 favourite films
rauldc14 - Rauldc14's Top 100 /// Rauldc14's 2nd Top 100
re93animator - re93animator's Favorite Films
regnif - My 100 ALL-TIME FAVE Movies
Rodent, The - Top 100: The Rodent / Rodent's Newest Top 100... 2014-2015 /// The Rodent's Top 100 Movies... For Now
SammyJ88 - SammyJ88's Top 100
Sane - Sane's Top 100 /// Sane's Top 133 Favourite Films
sarah f - SaFo Top 100
Saully - Saully's Top 100 Favourite Movies [New and Improved List]
Sci-Fi Slob, The - The Sci-Fi Slob's Top 100
screenathpktr - Listmania(Sreenathpktr's TOP 50)
seanc - The 50 by seanc
Sexy Celebrity - Sexy Celebrity's Top 100 Favorite Movies List for 2013 with Madonna /// 100 Movies I Love in No Particular Damn Order /// Another 100 Movies I Love in No Particular Dam Order
Simseboy - Simseboy's Top 50 Films
Sinny McGuffins - Sinny's Top 100 Sinnys
Skepsis93 - Skepsis' Top 50 /// Skepsis' 100
SoulInside - ( My personal) 100 Top-Movies
The Spirit - The Spirit's Top 100
stevo3001 - Steve3001's Top 100
StuSmallz - Stu Presents: His Favorite Movies!
Sumantra Roy - Sumantra Roy'sTop 50 Films of All Time
Swedish Chef - The Swedish 100
Tacitus - The Tatty 100
teeter_g - Teeter_G's Top 50 /// Teeter_G's Top 100 (Take 2) /// Teeter_Gs' Top 100 (Take 3)
the-young-turk - The Young Turk's Top 100 Films /// The Young Turk's Top 100 Films - Revised
Thursday Next - Thursday's Top 100
TokeZa - TokeZa's Top 100 Movies through Space and Time
Travis Bickle - Travis Bickle's Top 100
Tugg - Tugg's Top 100 Favorite Movies /// Tugg's Top 100 Favorite Movies 2.0
Tyler1 - Tyler1's 50 Favourite Films /// The 101 favourite/top (arthouse) films of Tyler1
TylerDurden99 - Top 100 Films of Tyler Durden /// Tyler's 150 Favourites
uconjack - UconJack's Top 100
undercoverlover - Undercoverlovers 100
TheUsualSuspect - Suspect's Top 100 /// Suspect's Top 50 Films You Hate, But He Loves
Used Future - Used Future 100 Favourites from the Future
venomtdub - VenomTDub Top 100 Movies
Vertican Gunn - Vertical Gunn's Top 100
vondummpenstein - Von's Top 50
Whobody - Top 100 of Whobody

I agree with you on When Harry Met Sally though.

I get where you're coming from and kinda agree, although a while ago I offered my alternative lists to Robert's best of the decade threads, mostly because I so strongly disagreed with his haha, and I must admit I found the impossible challenge of rating movies of completely different genres against each other in any remotely fair way kinda interesting.

After having filtered all my previous Criticker ratings by decade there was lots of different movies with the exact same rating, say 70/100, and so now I had to choose which place in line each should go, which was something I had never thought about, so it had me think back on movies I hadn't seen for many years and along with it lots of weird non movie related stuff I had forgotten about. Anyway, I guess that's what too much time does to you. Be careful out there folks

If you are looking for suggestions, check out this list of bad/embarrassing/cheesy movies I watched:

https://letterboxd.com/movieguyisme/...bout-watching/
Errrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............................

The bad movie idea seemed to have promise. I think I'm going off it now though!

Dang Robert lol I wasnt taking shots at you or anyone else that does list, grade, countdown, etc... For me it ruins the experience rather than elevates it.

We can nitpick our way into misery. Grading something rather than just accepting it how it is, flaws and all, makes for a less gratifying experience.

I dont know film as well as most here, but it reaches me as deeply without me having to grade it like my opinion is universal. If Im only willing to watch films that are "good enough" I am missing out rather than evolving in my film experience, and thereby getting in my own way of enjoying something. Which I think is what the threads about.

I have had an idea to watch some sci-fi films from 1950-1965.
There's some really good ones, even the cheesy ones are fun!

I have had an idea to watch some sci-fi films from 1950-1965.
you haven't see invasion of the body snatchers or forbidden planet.

It's understandable that movie fans would push back on the idea that someone has run out of movies to watch.
Sure, it's like telling a gaggle of Swifties that you're just not feeling Taylor anymore.

Just throw all care to the wind and watch The Lord of The Rings and Star Wars, ffs.