Alphaville

→ in
Tools    

It's the strangest film. For one thing it is in some respects the worst made film probably ever to make it to the cinema. From farcically unrealistic fight scenes, to some instances of ridiculous overacting, continuity errors where the camera changes and everyone's moved over a bit from the last shot, absurd over the top sound effects; the list goes on.
But fear not, for it is intentional. One function this serves is that the film is partly a spoof of crap movies. Presumably crap science fiction B movies.
The other function is to let viewers know very clearly not to take this film literally. For this too is a science fiction film with no or little budget and no or little special effects. So everything (or many things) being deliberately rubbish, makes things easier. Viewers enter into this absurd world which Godard has created, and they buy into it and accept it.
And the point about not taking the film literally is crucial, because in fact this film is not a work of prose, but a poem. It's a piece of visual poetry and also narrative poetry.
Mixed in with the visual dross is the visually sublime. Some stunning shots, not just of the unforgivingly beautiful Anna Karina (including a very highly detailed close in high resolution close up of her gorgeous face) and the hard edged charm of Eddie Constantine, but also artistic use of neon type lights (literally artistic arrangements), and a few searingly eye catching cityscapes/highwayscape, gorgeously conceived and choreographed silhouettes against a neon street background, as well as a beautiful wooden spiral staircase which we watch the protagonists elegantly descend.
But as well as the visual poetry, the movie also moves like a poem, and it finishes like one as well.

On top of all of this, it's apparent how influential the film was on both spoofs (think of the Leslie Neilsen films) and science fiction (absolutely certain Ridley Scott and Stanley Kubrick were influenced by this movie).

It is a unique film viewing experience, kind of in the way that (although in a different way because they are both individually unique) Last Year At Marienbad is. It's a leap in the film making and film viewing experience. Don't be fooled by the B movie impressions though, this is one highly skilled, and expertly crafted.

I could quite understand anyone who rated this anywhere from about a 1 up to a straight 10. I'm nearer the top end of that scale.

i love godard's work but i've tried to watch this 3 times and fell asleep every time lol. one day i'll make it through 😤
I can completely understand that.
It is definitely one of those movies.

Agreed. Godard has better films then this.
i wasn't a fan of it either, that voice got on my nerves after awhile.