Best James Bond movie?

Tools    

My favorite James Bond movie is "Goldeneye". I loved that movie. I remember the day i first saw it, i just couldn't go to bed until i finished seeing it. Pierce Brosnan is a great James Bond. Sean Bean and Famke Janseen are super villains. Martin Campbell did a wonderful directing job. The showdown and the begining scenes were unforgettable. My second fav is "Tomorrow Never Dies". Again Elliot Carver was a great villain. Even though he didn't have much of a motive. I give "Goldeneye" an A+. "Tommorrow never dies" an A. "World is not enough" a C-. I hope that the next James Bond is better than the last one. The soundtrack of Goldeneye and Tomorrow never dies were also great.

MovieForums Extra

Sam G, I take it you've never seen a Bond movie with Sean Connery in it?? In my book he the one and only real Bond, all the others are just copies, sort of like making a copy of a tape over and over...it just gets worse and worse. Goldfinger is my favourite Bond movie. Roger Moore was OK as Bond, not too bad, but not excellent either...the rest is history

SPOILERS BELOW!!

I mean seriously, I liked Goldeneye for what it was worth, but honestly, can you really believe that it's possible for him to dive off a cliff after an aeroplane, get in it and pull it up before it hits the bottom?? I find it beyond impossible, even for Bond!

I've seen only parts of Tomorrow Never Dies, so I can't really give you a realistic review on it, and I haven't seen The World is Not Enough yet, so I won't even bother.

Sorry to rain on your parade, I'm not usually a cranky critic, it's just that Connery is one of my fav actors of all time!

MovieForums Extra

By the way, I too have high hopes for the next Bond movie, perhaps it'll be better than the previous three!

For the record, I thought "The World Is Not Enough" was a totally killer flick - the opening scene was fabulous.

Oh, FYI: Brosnan is doing one more Bond flick, and then he's calling it quits. Shame, isn't it? He was a pretty good Bond. I've got no idea who'll be replacing him.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally posted by Zephyrus

I mean seriously, I liked Goldeneye for what it was worth, but honestly, can you really believe that it's possible for him to dive off a cliff after an aeroplane, get in it and pull it up before it hits the bottom?? I find it beyond impossible, even for Bond
Your talking about how unreal it is that he dove off a cliff and caught up to a falling plane and recovered it. Why should the reality of that compare to the fact that he has a watch that shoots lasers and minitature missiles. I think its expected that he can do those things. It is just a movie. It's just like Hollow Man. I hated it when people were so pissed off that Kevin Bacon got up after being hit on the head with a crowbar. HE WAS FREAKING INVISIBLE!! Why should something like that even matter. You already know that the movie isn't trying to be realistic.

Oh and for me I liked Goldeneye the best.

I think the Hollow Man thing is a bit different - Science Fiction is fine, it takes things that have some small possibility of happening, and brings them to life - but Hollow Man simply took it beyond reason - why write the movie that way? I can't think of a good reason.

MovieForums Extra

I thought that Brosnan had signed a contract to do 10 James Bond movies up to 2010, at least I think I remember something like that being in the news in 1998...

The original James Bonds were in fact very believable, even though they had the occasional gadget or three...but as the Bonds started changing, the gadgets got more and more ridiculous, and I think Roger Moore's suitcase helicopter definitely takes the cake! I can't remember, how many real helicopters and planes did he take out with that thing?!

But come one people, when someone says the word 'Bond' to you, do you imagine Brosnan or Connery???

As for Hollow Man, I think it was an OK flick, not too good but not too bad either. Some of the scenes were excellent, especially when they're trying to bring him back, the way his body is animated...I myself am a huuuge science fiction fan, but some scenes in movies (even like Hollow Man and the newer Bonds) fall into the domain of fantasy...

There are just some things in films that are so jolting or silly that you lose that suspension of disbelief. I know that there were other things about Goldeneye that were not exactly believable, but that catching up to the plane thing was so over-the-top that it was jarring to the point of almost having the laugh at it.

I liked Goldeneye, personally (despite that one little part). I wouldn't say it was my favorite, but it certainly restored the franchise. It's among my favorite Bond films, and I think Brosnan is a very good Bond.

I think Goldfinger is my favorite Bond movie, though, if I have to pick one.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
For the record, I thought "The World Is Not Enough" was a totally killer flick - the opening scene was fabulous.

Oh, FYI: Brosnan is doing one more Bond flick, and then he's calling it quits. Shame, isn't it? He was a pretty good Bond. I've got no idea who'll be replacing him.
I loved the begining too. It was great but i was disappointed with the last 40 min. Plus i didn't like the villains. They should have made the last 40 min like the last 40 min of goldeneye or tomorrow never dies. WHAT?! he is going to do only one more? are you sure? how tragic. i wonder who's going to take his place. By the way i think this is a great movie forum.

Thanks Gerard, glad you like it here.

I'm 99% sure that this is Brosnan's last Bond flick - I've heard this said in several places now. I hope it isn't true, but I'm pretty sure it is.

Oh, and when someone says "Bond", I think of Brosnan before the others, because he's the current Bond, and the only one recent enough for me to have seen in theatres.

MovieForums Extra

Well you do have a point there with Bond Commish, I think that they should re-release a lot of the old classics, so that younger generations can appreciate them in the same glory as when they were originally released!

Originally posted by TWTCommish
Thanks Gerard, glad you like it here.

I'm 99% sure that this is Brosnan's last Bond flick - I've heard this said in several places now. I hope it isn't true, but I'm pretty sure it is.
Oh the horror! The horror! Well, if the next Bond movie is his last then it better be REALLY good. Or else someone's in big trouble with me.

Didn't see it.
Brosnan was one of my favorites also. I enjoyed the movies he made.

Hmm, nice topic. A difficult question though. I liked Goldeneye a lot, but I also have an affinity for a lot of the early ones, like Dr. No for example. To pick one would be difficult, I'd have to have a list out on front of me.

I was actually talking about the Bond movies today with a couple oof buddies, and we decided that the writers should have devoted their lives to crime . We were talking about supply and demand and economics, and we got onto the topic of Goldfinger.

SPOILERS BELOW
It was an ingenious idea to contaminate and make useless all the gold in Federal Reserve! Absolutely briliant!

It was actually Fort Knox in Goldfinger.

It's not so brilliant anymore since we're not on the Gold Standard anymore. But in 1964, we still were.

Originally posted by jamesglewisf
Brosnan was one of my favorites also. I enjoyed the movies he made.
I am going to miss him. He was the best bond for me. Sniff sniff

MovieForums Extra

So I suppose they're gonna find yet another Bond? I really wonder what this guy is gonna look like, there aren't all that many Bond look-alikes out there (Elvis maybe, but not Bond)!

Goldeneye and From Russia with Love, dang this is an old thread.