Kinds of Kindness - Yorgos Lanthimos film opens 6/24!

Tools    

I see it as being a study of human submissiveness. It's the main thematic issue that runs through the 3 stories.

Also did you notice that the guy whose name is used in all 3 stories dies in the first one, but is brought back to life in the last one?

I see it as being a study of human submissiveness. It's the main thematic issue that runs through the 3 stories.

Also did you notice that the guy whose name is used in all 3 stories dies in the first one, but is brought back to life in the last one?
Yes, I did notice that. I liked that part a lot, it reminded me of Amores perros.

‘Submissiveness’ is a great way of putting it. I did see parallels with Phantom Thread in terms of self-destructive devotion. I suppose with R.M.F. being brought back to life, it does reveal itself as a ‘supernatural’ undertaking. Until then, though, I was approaching it via Mulholland Drive and maybe Dogtooth where things are immensely weird, but not quite resurrection-level weird. So I feel like my brain just didn’t calibrate properly. Anyway, I don’t know. So far my take is ‘what the hell’, and not in an awed way.

Funny that I much preferred Poor Things, though, because I distinctly remember leaving the cinema after Poor Things convinced for some reason that I’d like the ‘other’ ‘24 movie better.

How tragic that I have absolutely no one irl to even attempt bringing these up around.