The deadline for the Top Musicals list is coming up! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

Rate the last Book you read

Tools    

This book on George Harrison. Ignore all that nonsense about peace and love, The guy had demons. Sex, drugs and rock and is all laid out in this book

Doesn’t make it true just because this guy wrote a book.

Doesn’t make it true just because this guy wrote a book.
No one questioned it. Our idols are human.

No one questioned it. Our idols are human.
How do you know “no one questioned it”? George is no longer with us so, strictly speaking, he’s not a human.

How do you know “no one questioned it”? George is no longer with us so, strictly speaking, he’s not a human.
He had an affair with Ringo's wife. Ringo is still alive and hasn't said anything.

He had an affair with Ringo's wife. Ringo is still alive and hasn't said anything.
Ringo’s wife who died or his current wife? Why would he say anything?

Ringo’s wife who died or his current wife? Why would he say anything?
Maureen. You're the one questioning the book.

Children of the Neon Bamboo- 10/10

I am SO happy right now. I had a great day. We finally got around to the Barnes and Noble again after I got another $50 gift card from my brother. There was one specific book that I was interested in getting...

Years ago I was at the library, and even though a publication wouldn't want me saying this, heh heh, I literally PRAYED TO GOD that I would find something in the cyberpunk vein, because I was running out of time. I finally came across this one cyberpunk-looking book called Three Days in April. It was a cyberpunk comedy as stated on the back, and I checked it out. Hilarious book with a uniquely obnoxious take on internet culture in a cyberpunk world. I was curious about the dude other books, especially his biggest (though moderate) hit.

Wikipedia: "A film adaptation directed by Bong Joon-Ho is scheduled to be released in 2025."

Hearing who the director was made me SO happy for him that I gave him major congrats on his Goodreads account and asked him how he scored one of the best directors in the world. He told me that he and Bong both like using humor as a way to tackle serious real-world topics.

At Barnes and Noble, I picked up Mickey7, its follow-up Antimatter Blues and Good Omens. My brother picked up a couple Dune books and a Hitchhiker's comp. I'm back on reading.

Not the kind of book you'd recommend to the faint of heart, but an entertaining one, nonetheless.

Forget everything you ever thought you knew about the secret workings of Hollywood and the mob, this book will set the record straight on all the crooked stuff.

At Barnes and Noble, I picked up Mickey7, its follow-up Antimatter Blues and Good Omens.
I've got the first book in my book pile waiting to be read, going to try and read it before the film comes out.

Kind of any easy read about an FBI agent (Tori Hunter) returning to her hometown (Manchester Bay, Minn.) to assist in a missing women case that may be related to her twin sister, who went missing 20 years ago. A page turner for sure but a little predictable. Tori Hunter....twins...Minnesota...wonder who the authors fav baseball player/team is?

Just finished reading Corpses, Fools, And Monsters, a book co-written by Willow Catelyn Maclay (the work of whom some of you may already be familiar with), which comes highly recommended for anyone looking for a good book on the history of the portrayals of transpeople in film, or just a good book on film in general:

The Colony (2012)

Not as good as Colucci's other novel Seeders but its still a fun ride describing an ant species that is genetically engineered by a party of evildoers to be indestructible and menacing to humans. Some over-the-top moments that would be great B-movie material, and it definitely made me think of ants differently.

Going through a lot of speed reading. I'm also getting through shorter bad novels to fill up a worst novels ever list, but it's been difficult finding good recs because on Goodreads, the raters are mostly those who finish the books, and since books take so long, you don't finish a book unless you like it.

I found a few key authors to help, though: Penny Jordan / Penelope Halsall of Harlequin, Margaret Carr and Victor Bertolaccini. And apparently, I am so not into John Updike. I've read several of his books already. Also, I'm trying to read at least 100 pages of the final Twilight book a day for a week. So I have a lot to do, especially since I picked up three more good books I can't get to until I get my charts evened out.

Man's Search For Meaning
by Viktor Frankl

A good read written by a Holocaust survivor decades ago. I don't agree with some of the philosophical approaches proposed (meaning is derived from work, life, and/or suffering), but there is a lot of thoughtful analysis.

We had to read this in high school, part of junior or senior year Theology, but I barely remember it. I remember it being kind of a short book and since I never get rid of books I should hunt it down and give it another go. Maybe an older me might get more out of it.

The Last Town on Earth -

This is a very good historical fiction novel set during the flu epidemic of the 1910s about a tiny Washington state town trying to protect itself from it. Despite being written in 2006, it's amazing how well it captures the anxieties and xenophobic feelings we are still coping with from the COVID pandemic. While this may sound like "eat your vegetables" material, it's definitely not: there's genuine moments of romance as well as tension and thrills that made me forget to breathe. I also like how it weaves in other historical milestones like World War I - specifically the draft and those who objected to it - and the Everett massacre without seeming overstuffed.

With this book and the very good Darktown novels, which are about what happened when Atlanta added black men to its police force in the 1940s, Thomas Mullen has become one of the best historical fiction writers working today.

Mickey7 - Edward Ashton

Years ago I was still going to the library when I could, and I was desperately in a cyberpunk mood but had difficulty finding a cyberpunk book. Some might not want to read this next part, but I literally prayed that I could find one before it was time to go. Well, whether or not you believe in God doesn't change the fact that I found that book: Three Days in April by Edward Ashton. Its warning sign cover screamed “maybe cyberpunk” to me, and sure enough, the back of the book didn't just confirm that genre, but the comedy genre as well. Borrowed it, almost loved it. Easy 9/10 for me. But I had difficulty finding his other books.

Years later, I look through a list of upcoming movies and find one called “Mickey 17.” The name was familiar, and I was already famiiar with the director attached to it: South Korean genius Bong-Joon Ho of Parasite fame. But when I clicked the article, the name “Edward Ashton” was all it took for me to want to get to a book store. And this was just after I already used up a fifty dollar gift card for Barnes and Noble on two Stephen Kings and one Gaiman (and a pistachio latte). But I got another birthday gift card, and my family finally had the opportunity to reach a Barnes & Noble. I got Mickey7 and its sequel, Antimatter Blues. After getting through some older goals and cataloguing them here, I finally got around to Mickey7.

I finished the entire thing in one day. Lightly speedreading it, I was able to get through 30 pages in ten minutes and finished the book in roughly two hours while listening to some new albums released in the last two weeks. My final consensus is simple: as much as I like Three Days in April, this book blew it out of the water in all respects.

This is a story about an Expendable named Mickey working on colonizing a dead planet, and gaining a new cloned body every time he dies. Except, this time, he was only presumed dead before a new Mickey was created. Both Mickey's operate as separate characters very well, and perfectly natural within the context of how two clones would act if they were used to the very idea as "perfectly plausible" and "part of normal life." Ashton captures the idea of bouncing characters beautifully, especially in the context of worrying about discovery. In fact, for a while the leading threat is his strict and religious boss, who largely does things by the book but can't deny that his religious beliefs play a part in his decisions. Watching Mickey dodge his antics and screw him over is a real treat, one that makes you wanna hi-five Mickey right in the soul.

And the twists? Well, any real off-world future tale with a hint of dystopia needs that, and we get more than our fair share off these. In fact, the story's strongest aspect is how well Ashton develops his world and narrates it as a perfectly natural world to live on. Every bit of future-world exploration is driven by the kind of "cheap-ass powers above giving you crap to live on" that you'd find in other sci-fi stories, like the ration cards, or even the gruel with more scientific terms like "cycler paste." It might be the future, but there will always be people living in crap just to make a living to begin with. Excellent work there.

I knew I'd like Mickey7 a lot if it was easily better than Three Days in April, I didn't think I'd like Mickey7 this much! It gives me pretty much everything I ask for in a great novel: excellent world-development, twisty plotting, personality and a natural feel. I can honestly day that I consider this a perfect novel. Ashton has proven his genius with this one. Glad I read it all in one day. It was one hell of a ride.

I am reading a true crime book. A young female Harvard student was brutally murdered on campus in 1969. There were a number of suspects including students and faculty. No one was ever arrested. 40 years later DNA testing reveals that the killer was a serial killer. The book deals with all the male suspects who lived their lives under a cloud.

Feels like a first time novel. A cannibal family in Maine sets their sights on a group of friends visiting in the off season. Gets a little nasty, which is what I was expecting, but it's also a pretty predictable ride.