Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

PANDORA
(2016, Park)

"We're not going in to die, but to save."

That's the reassurance that Jae-hyeok (Kim Nam-gil) gives to one of his friends as they're about to walk into certain death. But the possibility of saving more lives goes above their own lives. That is one of the main premises of this South Korean disaster film. Set in a small town whose economy is mostly dependent on a nuclear plant, Pandora follows what happens after an earthquake causes a nuclear meltdown.

There are a lot of things that work on the film. There are some genuinely thrilling moments here and there, the special effects and the visuals of the disaster are effective, and for the most part, the majority of the characters are likable and easy to root for. Unfortunately, the film tries to juggle too many little stories that mostly feel like the stereotypical disaster film tropes and that play too much into the melodrama.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

Deadpool and Wolverine (2024) Went to the movies today at 10:30 am and saw this. This was fun. Reynolds and Jackman are good together and there are some enjoyable laugh out loud moments. I would rank it as the 4th best film of the year.

Deadpool and Wolverine (2024) Went to the movies today at 10:30 am and saw this. This was fun. Reynolds and Jackman are good together and there are some enjoyable laugh out loud moments. I would rank it as the 4th best film of the year.
It is also the best Marvel movie of the year!

TIMECOP
(1994, Hyams)

"I find it reassuring to know what the future holds, don't you?"

TimeCop follows Van Damme's Agent Max Walker, a police officer that becomes a federal agent for an agency created to prevent time travel crimes shortly after his wife (Mia Sara) is killed. The bad guy in question is Aaron McComb (Ron Silver), an ambitious and corrupt politician who has been using time travel to fund his presidential campaign, and who might have something to do with the murder of Walker's wife.

I'm pretty sure I saw this film in theaters, or shortly after, and I've always regarded it as one of Van Damme's best efforts. Rewatching it now after 15 years, I can say it has held up rather well. Even though it has the plot holes and contrivances that are typical of both 90s action movies AND time travel movies, it is still pretty entertaining and fun to watch. Van Damme is serviceable as the lead, but Silver makes for an amusing villain.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot

The Beekeeper (2024)

I can't recall many movies where if one sees the poster, that is the highlight of the production. This is one of them however. Trite story, dreadful casting. A Jason Statham walk through.

3/10

Was feeling old-school today so watched one of my all-time favorites; the original Rocky. In my humble opinion it's one of the greatest films ever made. Definite top 10 material. But what really gets me about the film is the script. Probably one of the 10 best screenplays ever written. Sylvester Stallone knocked this screenplay out of the park. Not sure how long it took him to write it but it's a masterpiece.

I forgot the opening line.

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4738515

Vampires - (1998)

Vampires was better than I thought it was going to be, and by that I mean extremely average and uninspired apart from a slick opening with well-built tension and expertly filmed action. That opening promised a lot, and clued us in on the fact that this is very much a western posing as a horror film. The casting of James Woods was a boon for John Carpenter, along with Maximilian Schell, but when the next best in line is Daniel Baldwin it's obvious that the talent pool is extraordinarily shallow. Also, there's such a thin slice of story that those hoping to be engrossed by a compelling narrative will walk home disappointed and kind of irked. It's simply "We've found the original, head vampire who is hoping to conquer the world, lets find him and kill him before he becomes all-powerful" - that's the entire story. Fans of domestic abuse will be happy to see that in this film women are tied to beds naked and slapped so hard they lose consciousness - and that's the good guys doing that stuff! The scene at the beginning, as John "Jack" Crow (Woods) and his team clear out a ramshackle house infested with vampires, shows that Carpenter could really do a great job when on-song - it's a shame that the rest of the film feels almost half-hearted and hurried.

5/10

By The poster art can or could be obtained from Sony Pictures Classics (USA)., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3105885

The Child (L'Enfant) - (2005)

When Bruno (Jérémie Renier) does the unthinkable to his and his partner's (Sonia - played by Déborah François) newborn baby he's hurled into a world of banishment where he has to finally grow up, and fast. This film was very much grounded by realism, and thus compelling in the extreme. Full review here, in my watchlist thread.

9/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3105885

Playground - (2016)

Young Gabrysia (Michalina Swistun) prepares to tell her secret crush Szymek (Nicolas Przygoda) that she's in love with him, not knowing that Szymek and his best friend Czarek (Przemyslaw Balinski) are evil monsters about to commit the crime of the century. This was pretty shocking and really hard to watch - you have been warned. Full review here, in my watchlist thread.

6/10

Remake, Remix, Rip-Off: About Copy Culture & Turkish Pop Cinema - (2016)

This was a fun documentary about Turkish cinema and how extremely low budgets are offset by stolen ideas, dialogue, scenes and music from Hollywood - transferred over and becoming weird and wonderful in the process. Full review here, in my watchlist thread.

7/10

Egomania : Island Without Hope - (1986)

Christoph Schlingensief, director of The German Chainsaw Massacre, brings us a melodrama here which is pretty much par for the course in it's insanity, arthouse sensibilities, and inclusion of Udo Kier, who dominates proceedings. It has no discernable narrative, except for slivers of character, motivation, good and evil. If you love going to your local theater and are artistically minded, this stands out as significant and extremely interesting. Udo Kier is a personal favourite of mine. Full review here, in my watchlist thread.

8/10

Latest Review : Double Down (2005)

5th Rewatch...Right up there with Pretty Woman as his finest work as a director, Garry Marshall created the ultimate "chick flick" with this story of two girls, an aspiring star named CC Bloom and a pampered rich girl named Hillary Whitney who meet on an Atlantic City beach and eventually forge a lifelong friendship chronicled through career and romance highs and lows, including, at one point, their love for the same man. Bette Midler, who also produced the film, is provided the showcase of her career that allows her to demonstrate her endless abilities in all movie genres. Never get tired of that "Otto Titsling" number, though Barbara Hershey never allows herself to be blown off the screen in the less showy role of Hillary and though the film provides plenty of laughs, the final ten minutes are a soapy mess that will enrapture the viewer. This film had a little more substance than I remembered and Midler fans will be in heaven. This is also the film where Hershey introduced a little something to the world called botox.

Deadpool and Wolverine. I can't believe they made a Disney movie about
WARNING: "Deadpool and Wolverine spoilers" spoilers below
how much it sucks that Disney bought FOX.
Incredible. What a picture.

SF = Z

Viewed: Netflix

Trailer:

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

2nd Rewatch...I didn't think it could be done but Oscar winning director Steven Spielberg scored a bullseye with this impressive remake of the 1961 film version of the Broadway musical that premiered in 1957. This version finds Spielberg and screenwriter Tony Kushner returning all of the scenes and songs to their original places in the libretto. Spielberg has the sharks portrayed by actual Latino actors and the four leads actually do their own singing. Justin Peck does a respectable job with the choreography but it doesn't hold a candle to Jerome Robbins' dazzling original choreography. Rachel Zegler's film debut as Maria earned her a Golden Globe and Ansel Elgort is the best Tony I've ever seen. Love Mike Faist as Riff too, but the film is nearly stolen by Ariana DuBose, whose ferocious performance as Anita made her the first queer Latina to win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.

Oppenheimer - (Christopher Nolan, 2023)

Nolan and I don't get along. 5/10

Deadpool & Wolverine
(2024)
4/5

This was one hellva ride! Ryan is always perfect as Deadpool as Hugh Jackman is for Wolverine. Being, first, an X-men fan and second, a Marvel fan, I found it highly entertaining. There were exciting scenes and some that were emotional for me. There were things that made this complete. However, there was one minor factor I was not crazy about. And those who truly know me, would understand what I am referring too.

It is one of my top 3 films of this year, along with Abigail and Young Woman and the Sea.

Blade
(1998)
3.75/5

This is still one of my favorite Marvel films.

Baby Shark's Big Movie! (2023) Would you believe I was forced to watch this against my will? This was actually pretty good though. It's a musical, so maybe it will make the countdown. It's cute and colourful and the songs were catchy.

WARNING: spoilers below
I wasn't really forced to watch it. I decided to voluntarily.

Was feeling old-school today so watched one of my all-time favorites; the original Rocky. In my humble opinion it's one of the greatest films ever made. Definite top 10 material. But what really gets me about the film is the script. Probably one of the 10 best screenplays ever written. Sylvester Stallone knocked this screenplay out of the park. Not sure how long it took him to write it but it's a masterpiece.

I agree that it's a very good film. They should have stopped with the first one.

Theresienstadt (1944) -

Well, this is it. I've finally found my first 0.5/5 rating (1/10 if you're reading this on IMDb), thus making this the single worst film I've ever seen.

Part of why I've yet to give out a rating this low is, no matter how strongly I may feel about an aspect of a film, I'm usually able to find value elsewhere, even if it comes down to something as simple as a couple decent actors or some passable camerawork. Which doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of everything I dislike, but I can't say I enjoyed nothing about those films. In order for a film to get a 0.5/5, I'd have to either find nothing of value which appeals to me to any degree or to feel that whatever I find value in to be so brief and insignificant, it's not even worth mentioning. I think this is the film.

Reading the synopsis, I certainly wasn't expecting this to be a good time, yet it still managed to exceed my low expectations. In all fairness though, this is far from the only film I've seen which contains some type of problematic content. Whether you're referring to racism, sexism, homophobia, etc., I've already seen my fair share. As repugnant as those films (or parts of them) may be though, it's not like they're solely their problematic content and nothing else. The first half of The Birth of a Nation is largely free of racism and its second half holds value as a historical document about the dangers of art. The icky romance in Forbidden Planet is just one sub‐plot of the film. All those films with blackface, exploitative child nudity, and unsimulated violence towards animals (or people) have far more to offer aside from those aspects. Even some other Nazi propaganda films I've seen (Olympia and Triumph of the Will) are interesting for various reasons. As for Theresienstadt, the problematic content is so overt and prolonged, it's literally all it depicts. Just 26 minutes of a narrator trying to convince you that Nazi death camps didn't exist. Truly the most morally bankrupt film I've ever seen.

Before I watched it, there were a few ideas I had in mind which could potentially mitigate or complicate the Nazi propaganda, but they all fell flat.

Knowing the director Kurt Gerron was killed shortly after the film was released, my first question was whether he backed the Nazis and willfully worked on the film or if he was coerced into directing it. Reading up on the film, I learned it was the latter. Gerron was of German Jewish descent and was ordered to create the film. After finishing it, he was deported to Auschwitz, where he was killed almost immediately. Ultimately, this knowledge didn't lessen my hatred of the film. In fact, I'd say it made me feel even worse. It's another unpleasant bit of info in an already deeply unpleasant film. Though yeah, none of my hatred for this film is directed at Kurt Gerron.

Given the motives for why the film was commissioned (to distribute it to neutral countries to counter Allied news reports about the persecution of Jews), I was also curious if this would be like The Birth of a Nation where it would hold value as a historical document on the dangers of art, but it didn't succeed in that way either. By the time the film was released, Germany's defeat was imminent, so the Germans were unable to distribute the film to anywhere of interest. There's no evidence to indicate the few people the film was screened to at the time of its release were moved by the footage. Afterwards, the film was considered lost for many years before less than a third of it was discovered in various archives (that's all that remains of it). In spite of that, it's still incredibly obscure and nearly impossible to track down. I only found it by searching a torrent site. Personally, I don't find this historical background interesting at all. Essentially, this is a failed propaganda film which fell into obscurity right away and has remained there ever since. Probably for the better.

Whether the movie would succeed as a technical feat was the last thing I thought about. I knew the cards would be stacked against it from the get-go since they'd go hand in hand with the Nazi propaganda, but I held out some curiosity anyway. All grossness aside, the photography/editing is very standard and almost nothing stands out. I suppose a few shots are well-framed here and there, but again, going hand in hand with the Nazi propaganda did them no favors. It was basically Nazi propaganda - more Nazi propaganda - more Nazi propaganda - well-framed shot of Nazi propaganda - more Nazi propaganda. This drove a firm wedge in between the technical elements and left me completely underwhelmed on that front.

After giving it some thought for a few weeks, I can honestly not think of a single aspect of this that even somewhat appealed to me. Although the film's shorter duration of 26 minutes compared to its initial 90-minute runtime may have been a plus, I can't even give it credit for that since the pacing didn't feel brisk. After ten minutes, I was already done with it. Simply said, a huge waste of time.

Robot Monster (1953, Phil Tucker) ‐

Not my idea for "worst film ever" territory as I'd put it firmly in the B‐movie pile, but I did find it more joyless than I remembered. While Ro‐Man is the clear standout, the human characters are utterly bland by comparison. Even with my expectations lowered, they had little to no personality, were stuck in Ro‐Man's shadow, and frequently got in the way of what I liked about the film. The wedding sequence, for instance, felt particularly forced and came out of nowhere. Not sure why that was included. Ro‐Man (as well as the stop motion/disaster photography in the opening and ending) is where this film shines though. Yes, he's more cute than scary, but those are the film's B‐movie charms. Watching his actor struggle to move around in the suit while traversing the cliffs is amusing to watch, especially with the idea that he has to chase the human characters down. Fortunately for him, everyone either stands still instead of running away or trips and falls after a few steps. While his schtick began to overstay its welcome, particularly with the walking shots, Ro‐Man's arc in the final act saved the day since the film finally capitalized on the potential of his cuteness. They could've done more with it had they stretched the ending out further, but it still made for a pleasing slice of humanity which the rest of the film lacked. Also, while the twist ending doesn't fix the absurd plot points/character decisions, it at least mitigates my criticisms to a degree by providing a justification for them. Overall, while I liked this a bit less throughout this rewatch, I still wouldn't call it bad. You just need to approach it with the right expectations.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
Deadpool & Wolverine: 3.0 out of 5.0

If you want a longer review, I added it to my Review topic on the forum.