Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Prima Facie

As a huge Jodie Comer fan, I have to confess that Prima Facie was a bit of a letdown - though certainly not on account of her performance, which is magnificent.

The play was written by Australian-British playwright Suzie Miller, whose work I am not really familiar with.

However, without going into a lot of specifics which might constitute spoiler material, I'll just say that the play asks us to believe that the character of Tessa is both incredibly smart and super skilled at anything that involves lawyering, while at the same time capable of making incredibly poor decisions that she maybe could have known would lead to unwanted consequences.

This is a little bit like wanting to have the cake and eat it, too. I can believe one or the other, but the two aspects of her character simultaneously really stretches the suspension of disbelief into an area that is well beyond the Milky Way, to say the least.

There's another crucial misstep that comes late in the play, having to do with stage direction and the framing of the way in which it was filmed for cinema exhibition. It just completely destroys the immersive nature of everything that has come before, to the point that it just seems intended to remind you that this is just a stage performance and nothing more.

Having said that, Comer's performance really is amazing, and more than enough of a reason to watch this whenever you get a chance (it doesn't appear like this is streaming anywhere, and perhaps it never will).

Wolfs

The appeal of Wolfs is pretty simple, really: it's all about George Clooney and Brad Pitt's delightful display of star power and easygoing charisma.

That's all, really, but if you are already inclined to like them, then that's more than enough.

The premise of the movie is simple, like all buddy movies should be: they play fixers, who have to sort out a situation that is very compromising for a big-time politician, and they naturally make a big deal of how much they don't like each other, even though they really do have to work together on that thing.

Is that more than enough for a movie to be eminently watchable? With the cast that director Jon Watts has assembled here, it definitely is.

Try watching it on the big screen if you get a chance, you won't be sorry.

Transformers One

When it comes to Transformers One, there's a lot less here than meets the eye. Like, A LOT less.

I'll admit that the voice cast of the movie seems very appealing, which is the main reason why I even bothered with this in the first place.

Instead of an interesting (or original) narrative, the movie just made me wonder how many things we still don't know about the Transformers. Like, if they are machines, why do they even need to have a gender? They don't seem to reproduce sexually, since they are probably manufactured in an assembly line somewhere. Do they have lubricant instead of blood? Do they have any bodily excretions, like, you know, the occasional oil spill? How often are they supposed to visit the mechanic? Do they ever get a chassis transplant?

Alas, the movie does not offer any answers to those intriguing questions. Instead it's just a big, loud, bombastic mess with unappealing animation that doesn't really draw you into the story like the best animated movies do.

For Transformers fans, that will probably be more than enough. Everyone else should probably just stay clear.