The deadline for the Top Musicals list is TOMORROW! Submit your ballot now, or read about it here

Concerning TV Miniseries' Released as Films

Tools    

I'm in the middle of watching a mini-series released as a film on DVD, and it even calls itself a film on the back. It's four hours total and worth it, and I might even put it in my top 100. Thing is, I can do that on Letterboxd, but not here.

I am NOT, I repeat, NOT asking for TV shows in general to be added here as I think that idea is ridiculous. But considering that we have seen edits and rereleases in the film format and vise-versa, could there potentially be a way for MoFo to allow users to appeal for a TV miniseries link on Imdb, Tmdb or Letterboxd to be included as a film on Movieforums, considering we can provide prove of a "film" release?

Sorry, if you want to make sure I see something, @ me. It's very plausible I won't see it for awhile otherwise, especially over a weekend.

I'm in the middle of watching a mini-series released as a film on DVD, and it even calls itself a film on the back. It's four hours total and worth it, and I might even put it in my top 100. Thing is, I can do that on Letterboxd, but not here.
What's it called?

I am NOT, I repeat, NOT asking for TV shows in general to be added here as I think that idea is ridiculous. But considering that we have seen edits and rereleases in the film format and vise-versa, could there potentially be a way for MoFo to allow users to appeal for a TV miniseries link on Imdb, Tmdb or Letterboxd to be included as a film on Movieforums, considering we can provide prove of a "film" release?
It's completely up to TMDB. Our autocomplete and, indirectly, our entire database of films, runs completely off of their categorization. However TMDB is a Wiki-style site, so perhaps they would accept a recategorization of some sort there.

Sorry, if you want to make sure I see something, @ me. It's very plausible I won't see it for awhile otherwise, especially over a weekend.

What's it called?

It's completely up to TMDB. Our autocomplete and, indirectly, our entire database of films, runs completely off of their categorization. However TMDB is a Wiki-style site, so perhaps they would accept a recategorization of some sort there.

I already mentioned that TMDB banned me after challengingthe way a mod treated me for my religious beliefs.

I already mentioned that TMDB banned me after challengingthe way a mod treated me for my religious beliefs.
All I can come up with, then, is asking another person to make the request. But ultimately we're unavoidably tied to whatever TMDB decides in terms of classification.

All I can come up with, then, is asking another person to make the request. But ultimately we're unavoidably tied to whatever TMDB decides in terms of classification.
Then here's an idea: How about exporting lists on Letterboxd to Movieforums?

Then here's an idea: How about exporting lists on Letterboxd to Movieforums?
Are you saying you think this would solve the problem, or are you making a new/unrelated suggestion?

If it's the former, I think the problem would remain. If it's the latter, I recall starting something like that a year or two ago but there were some pretty significant technical hurdles. I built something kind of like this for IMDB back in the day and I think literally one person actually used it.

Are you saying you think this would solve the problem, or are you making a new/unrelated suggestion?

If it's the former, I think the problem would remain. If it's the latter, I recall starting something like that a year or two ago but there were some pretty significant technical hurdles. I built something kind of like this for IMDB back in the day and I think literally one person actually used it.

OK the bolded part's pretty damn cool.

For reference, the film is When the Levees Broke by Spike lee. I watched the 2-disc film edition as opposed to the four episode edition. And on the box itself it is called a film. But if this helps, one of the users told me about a customization trick in which we were able to get the system to accept "By the Way, Woody Allen is Innocent" on a custom list and create a Letterboxd page for it that way. I forget the method and the user who told me, but if I can get it, do you think there could be a way to create customized exceptions for our user lists here? Because When the levees Broke made it to my top 100, and by the time I release my "End of 2024 Top 100" list on this website, chances are the film may remain, unless I can find literally 10 perfect movies to beat it before 2025.

Thanks for clarifying. It was a pretty cool little tool! But it was also a hard lesson learned on my part about time investment, which is a bigger deal with each passing year as life gets busier.

As for "is there a way?" The answer is almost always yes if I take the question literally. It's basically always possible; the tougher question is whether it can be done without turning into a huge project that takes away from a lot of other to-do items (which are effectively endless). Including basic "keep the lights on" stuff that has to take priority. Literally yesterday we had a server emergency, and while I got the sites back online quick, I still need to investigate the cause and stop it from happening again. Stuff like that crops up on a semi-regular basis, even though most of it's probably invisible to most of the people here.

I also haven't even gotten Custom Lists out of beta, so at minimum I would have to finish the basics there to think about how to allow for exceptions. I do have a vague idea for how to do that without creating a multi-week project building an entire extra layer of structure on top of everything just to accommodate the occasional (and possibly temporary) TMDB data quirk.

I'll take a look at the film and see if I can figure out why it's classified that way. It certainly seems like an oversight or mistake on their part. They do a great job but their data definitely isn't perfect.

Just a reminder that this is here. But just in case, concerning the main issue of including When the Levees Broke in my top 100, I'm gonna see if I can get it out of the top 100 in time for the 2024 edition by New Years. I've already added two movies to my top 90 and moved Blow Out above it, so I've still got two and a half months.